Author Topic: The big SKA thread  (Read 722 times)

Blazer

The big SKA thread
« on: September 16, 2008, 02:24:42 PM »
Seeing as my thread on the Selecter was so well recieved I figure it would be fun to start a whole thread about SKA and in addition to show the hits also to show some really obscure bands and songs.

I'll start it off with a cool live version and a guitar in a very wrong shade of pink of Rancid's hit "Time bomb" when they played the pinkpop festival in 1996.

Then I'll post a band who were the biggest band ever in dutch speaking countries but largely unknown in the rest of the world. Here's Doe Maar (Which means "Go ahead") at the Pinkpop festival in 1982 playing their song "Smoorverliefd" (Madly in love) and has the whole 50 000 strong audience skanking

Madness - "Baggy trousers" again at the Pinkpop festival, listen how the bassplayer changes the bassline at the second and third chorus.

People tend to watch a series such as "Pokémon" and go "It's a bad influence on our kids" However, this song from the original Japanese version will teach kids who watch Pokémon how to skank and that can't be a bad thing. Team Rocket "Maemuki Rocketto dan" ("Optimistic team Rocket") this song is so catchy that you can't help but to try to sing along if it weren't for a langauge problem...

ramone57

• View Profile
Re: The big SKA thread
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 05:06:09 PM »
how about some English Beat?

always liked this one, too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doyqWt9Ed1k&feature=related

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 09:51:37 PM »
the Specials

the Toasters

Desmond Dekker 

but more than Ska I LOVE DUB !

'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 05:16:12 AM »
I was never a big fan till I heard these girls. Now the door is open.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJbrnp_Y0sE&feature=related