Author Topic: Gibson scale length explained (I hope)  (Read 3286 times)

4stringer77

• View Profile
Re: Gibson scale length explained (I hope)
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2013, 06:34:50 AM »
amptech, TI jazz flats also have a .106 E string that come in the 32" scale set.
http://www.juststrings.com/toi-jf324.html
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2013, 06:46:27 AM »
Gretsch basses are 30,3 too, according too their brochures.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2013, 08:11:55 AM »
amptech, TI jazz flats also have a .106 E string that come in the 32" scale set.
http://www.juststrings.com/toi-jf324.html

Oh; thanks - but I do like the feel and sound of the thin ones. For my shortscale gibson's, .100 is about as thick as i go.
I have a .100 set of chromes on my fuzztone (with mod-bar) and a three point bridge, intonates fine.

But I like the sound of the thin Thomastik's better, the scale was just not 'short enough' on the two point.

I'll probably put Thomastik's on my whole collection the day I can afford it. I dug out a 32" epiphone 1820 from the closet the other day,
strung with thomastiks - 1995 vintage. They still tuned and sounded fine, amazing strings.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2013, 08:44:17 AM »
Seems to me that as long as the bridge is installed at the correct point for the scale length - regardless of what that scale length is - and the frets are correctly positioned, then the error is due to strings, not to the instrument design. 

I may be wrong.

However, if I'm correct that doesn't mean you don't have a problem, but the answer may be a different gauge string rather than modifying the instrument.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2013, 07:18:03 PM »
Seems to me that as long as the bridge is installed at the correct point for the scale length - regardless of what that scale length is - and the frets are correctly positioned, then the error is due to strings, not to the instrument design. 

I may be wrong.

However, if I'm correct that doesn't mean you don't have a problem, but the answer may be a different gauge string rather than modifying the instrument.

You're right. The actual uncompensated scale length is still twice the nut-to-12th distance. If the bridge is in the right location, then it's a string problem.