Author Topic: 4003 differences through production.  (Read 7111 times)

SeanS

• View Profile
4003 differences through production.
« on: November 08, 2010, 02:42:23 AM »
I have a 79 4001 burgundy that I've had from new, it's almost mint, but I'm giging more and more these days, so I thought to get a 4003 and have the 4001 for studio as the fret wear on the A string is getting quite bad.
 My question is, are there any golden years or ones to avoid with the 4003, did early ones still have the skunk stripe, etc. Forgive me if this has been posted before.

warriorbass05

• View Profile
    • Bass Tunes
Re: 4003 differences through production.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 06:10:14 AM »
I have a 79 4001 burgundy that I've had from new, it's almost mint, but I'm giging more and more these days, so I thought to get a 4003 and have the 4001 for studio as the fret wear on the A string is getting quite bad.
 My question is, are there any golden years or ones to avoid with the 4003, did early ones still have the skunk stripe, etc. Forgive me if this has been posted before.

Golden Years theories are based on experiences with different basses. So far I have played at least one bass from each year starting with 72 and there are good and bad ones...Here goes...

Good-72-76
Moderate-77
Avoid-78
Good-79
Avoid-80
Some of both-81-84
Moderate-85
Good-86
Avoid-87
Good-88-91
Moderate-92-96

From 97 forward the body wings were changed and the looks were slightly distorted. The necks vary greatly and it is all a matter of opinion about what you like. For example, I had a 2000 that had a HUGE neck...Sounded good...neck profile was like a fender...
the 2 piece neck construction has gone back and forth. The OG 4003 basses starting in 1980 had a 2 piece neck...the big challenges I had were the way the truss rods were setup...A little more difficult to adjust at the body because they were hte 4001 rods reversed. That changed by the time I got to 1985 basses. My 86 had a 1 piece neck and most of the late 80's early 90's were 1 piece. Hope this helps...
Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses   www.spectorbass.com
 Bluesman Vintage Basses
www.bluesmanvintage.com

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 07:12:59 AM »
Interesting post, Warriorbass05.

In my experience, the fatter the neck, the better the sound. And ditto on '86 as a good year for the 4003.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Hornisse

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 10:19:25 AM »
Weren't there certain years where the body shape changed completely from what is was?  (fat upper and lower horns) That was probably around the '78 time frame.  I thought Paul Goddard's bone stock '77 Mapleglo sounded great with ARS on Champagne Jam and Underdog as well as the so called "live" Are You Ready double set. 

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 10:36:50 AM »
I've found that the mid-73 through maybe '82 4001 basses are pretty much the same across the board. They moved the neck pickup closer to the bridge around '76, but physically, they feel very similar. My personal favorites are about '88-'93 which generally had very noticeably fatter horns, but awesome necks. Some time around '99 the necks got really weird and fat, but I think they're currently back to thin.

SeanS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 12:11:14 PM »
Thanks guys and Warrior for a very comprehensive breakdown, interesting about the early 4003's truss system, I think its best to test ride them first. What about 2003 onwards.

Daniel_J

• No, I'm not Japanese. I am Brazilian actually...
    • View Profile
    • Oficina_SB
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 07:27:15 PM »
Here in Brazil Rics are really rare, so I only have played 3 Rics so far. A 79 4001, a 01 4003 and a 09 4003.

The 79 I had in my posession for 4 years, and it belongs to a friend who was living abroad during that period. Comparing to the others, it had the best feel and sound IMO. The neck was fat but really comfortable, I think it was the most easy-playing bass I have ever played.

The 01 was a mess. The neck was probably as fat as the 79, but really weird profile, my thumb started to hurt after playing for just a feel minutes. The tone was also a bit weird, it sounded like I was running a compressor all the time.

The 09 I had a chance to play last week. A customer brought in for setups. The neck was on the thin side but it felt quite wide, from nut to last fret. But it felt quite comfortable. Not like the 79, but like a modern bass (think korean made). The tone was great, just enough output to drive a good Yes tune, but also could be played smooth enough to sound, well smooth sounding ;)

Anyway, I say give it a try on the new ones.

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 10:12:12 AM »
They moved the neck pickup closer to the bridge around '76

1975 is the correct year. Dunno if there was an exact month, I've seen one from April 1975 with a neck pickup 1/2" from the neck.

My personal favorites are about '88-'93 which generally had very noticeably fatter horns, but awesome necks.

Gotta agree, my '91 has a great neck.

warriorbass05

• View Profile
    • Bass Tunes
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 06:58:50 PM »
regardless of opinions on necks....go try some different basses and you will see what you like and don't like. A lot of us have had various basses and they are all unique. You may find that one suits you more than another based on how it feels and sounds....
 Bluesman Vintage Basses
www.bluesmanvintage.com

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 07:16:53 PM »
Meant to post this earlier - shows the difference from the '90s shape to the more recent shape (the 8-string is '93, the 4-string 2004):

I have a a '76 4001 that I love - the pickups are very low output, but sound great. The previous owner of my '04 4003 thought the neck was a baseball bat, but I don't notice while playing it. Neck width doesn't bother me because I like playing different kinds of basses with different width and depth necks, but I know some people are more sensitive.

SeanS

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 01:50:34 AM »
Meant to post this earlier - shows the difference from the '90s shape to the more recent shape (the 8-string is '93, the 4-string 2004):

I have a a '76 4001 that I love - the pickups are very low output, but sound great. The previous owner of my '04 4003 thought the neck was a baseball bat, but I don't notice while playing it. Neck width doesn't bother me because I like playing different kinds of basses with different width and depth necks, but I know some people are more sensitive.

Wow the 04 sure looks slim around the horns.

warriorbass05

• View Profile
    • Bass Tunes
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 01:16:23 PM »
the body wings were changed in 97 to those thinner profile wings....I personally do not like them, they don't look right to me.
 Bluesman Vintage Basses
www.bluesmanvintage.com

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 06:08:20 PM »
the body wings were changed in 97 to those thinner profile wings....I personally do not like them, they don't look right to me.

I didn't like them either at first - I really like the beefy horns on my '93 - but grew to love the new ones too - they look really sleek and streamlined to me.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2010, 02:25:32 AM »
In recent years RIC are returning to the original elegant proportions of the 4001. The body horns that grew fatter in the late 80's for some unknown (to me) reason are now back to their original shape, the walnut headstock wings are back and the cresting wave is generous again, wide inlays are back and even the bass-cut capacitor. The Fireglo application is more like the old ones (no more clown-glo). Some of the Ric Outlet one-off creations even have the pre-75 half-inch neck pickup spacing. The only part that still needs to be reshaped like the originals IMHO is the pickguard, that has grown a hump and rounded corners.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

warriorbass05

• View Profile
    • Bass Tunes
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 06:23:52 AM »
In recent years RIC are returning to the original elegant proportions of the 4001. The body horns that grew fatter in the late 80's for some unknown (to me) reason are now back to their original shape, the walnut headstock wings are back and the cresting wave is generous again, wide inlays are back and even the bass-cut capacitor. The Fireglo application is more like the old ones (no more clown-glo). Some of the Ric Outlet one-off creations even have the pre-75 half-inch neck pickup spacing. The only part that still needs to be reshaped like the originals IMHO is the pickguard, that has grown a hump and rounded corners.

actually, if you look the wings changed in 1973 and have remained the same up to 97. the bigger wings were the most common and pretty much still are. Yep, the pickguard is bulbous looking and really does not look right (like the pre 73's) but this is what they are going with. (The body wings look is the main reason I will always buy used....I have been playing them so long, I am used to that look.)
 Bluesman Vintage Basses
www.bluesmanvintage.com