Author Topic: EB-0 wiring help  (Read 13126 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
EB-0 wiring help
« on: August 22, 2010, 10:30:14 AM »
OK, the pickups are in and wires run on the EB-0 - I have an original Gibson humbucker in the neck position and a Model One in the bridge position. 

My goal is to connect each pickup to a pot with push/pull switch, and work without a tone control for now.  With the sound I'm likely to get out of this combination of pickups, I doubt that I will need to roll off the treble from the signal.

SO - I need to figure out how to wire this.  I'm part-way there but am puzzled with how to proceed.

For the Gibson pickup, I really don't need a push-pull, but I have one so I installed it.  All I need to do with that pot is leave it in the "push" position and let the signal go through.

For the Model One, I have four wires which don't conform to Dimarzio's normal color scheme: Black / Red / White / Bare. But the pickup is 20+ years old and I assume they've changed it.  From testing with an ohm meter, it appears that Black and Red are a pair, and White and Bare are a pair.  I want to wire the the connections on the push/pull for the Model One so that UP is one coil of the pickup, DOWN is both coils.

This diagram reflects what I have done so far...but I need help completing it.  I'm confused because I can't find any diagrams without tone pots after a pair of humbucker controls.

Here's a direct link to the file:

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j306/apowell1/Electric%20Basses/EB-02small.jpg

I suspect that I have the Model One wired wrong in any case...but if one of you folks who really understand wiring could help me get these wired as described above and connect to the output jack, I'd br grateful.  I have labeled each push/pull contact with letters A-F, and terminals on the pots 1-3.

Ideas?
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
Re: EB-0 wiring help
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 01:40:32 AM »
You want to coiltap the model one or series-parallel wire it? Remember that in single mode you will have noise.
Also, if you want not to "waste" mudbuckers' push-pull, you could always wire it for out-of-phase with the other pickup.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

PeterB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 01:53:06 AM »
I have a diagram in PDF from my Lotto, which seems to be what you want: push/pull (switches) directly after the humbuckers for each of them. Only, I don't know how to share a PDF with you, besides email. Suggestions?  :rolleyes:

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 08:37:15 AM »
Thanks kindly...and email would be dandy!  Use the link below my avatar...or... apowell - at - gocougs.wsu.edu

You want to coiltap the model one or series-parallel wire it? Remember that in single mode you will have noise.
Also, if you want not to "waste" mudbuckers' push-pull, you could always wire it for out-of-phase with the other pickup.

Beats me.  What does going out of phase get me?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 06:33:26 AM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

PeterB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 02:04:30 PM »
You've got mail.  ;)

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 07:11:48 PM »
Thanks kindly...and email would be dandy!  Use the link below my avatar...or... apowell@gocougs.wsu.edu

Beats me.  What does going out of phase get me?

Hey Pilgrim, you might want to edit you email address a bit so as to keep the spambots from picking it up....just saying ;).  Do you really want 300 emails about E D or size enhancement ;D

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 06:32:56 AM »
I already got 'em.  I'm SUPER-sized!   :P
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 12:01:08 PM by Pilgrim »

Lightyear

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 06:06:21 PM »
Make sure you seek medical attention if after three hours............ ;D :P

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 08:42:40 PM »
Well, mebbe I should say that my inbox is super-sized.  Filters and the delete button are my friends.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 10:33:10 AM »
Well, crapola.

I used the info so kindly provided to me here along with some re-interpreting to wire the pair of pots. It's interesting how different diagrams with the same purpose can differ in so many ways.

At any rate, after assembling, not a sound out of it.  Clearly, something is not right.  I may try to draw up what I've done and post it so someone can point out whatever bonehead mistake I made.

I'm finding it a bit difficult to interpret diagrams that all have tone pots in the circuit...which I don't have.  What I've done is to bypass the tone part of the diagram, twist together and connect the positive and negative outputs from both pickups directly to the output jack.  If that's an error, I would be glad if someone tells me......

Lightyear

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 12:51:47 PM »
If you can find them I love the very small alligator clips for something like this - leave your circuit outside of the bass and you can experiment away with little pain, suffereing and soldering.  Once you like what you have you can make it permanent.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 12:57:37 PM »
I'm still working on it.  I decided that since the original mudbucker only has two wires of output, there was no point in using a push-pull on it, so I got a standard 500K pot for that pickup.  BUT - I'm still doing something wrong and I'm on about my third attempt.  

There is no tone pot....and I'm having two problems:

1) If I turn either pickup down, it turns them both down.
2) The simple pot works OK, but the push-pull reaches maximum volume with the pot set in the center of its travel, not at the far clockwise setting.  If I turn the pot left or right from that center position, the volume is reduced.

I also have some hum in the system that comes and goes with touching and releasing the pots, but it may be a result of whatever error(s)  I've made....that's not a real concern yet.

Here is a drawing of exactly what I have at present.  Note that I have numbered the tabs on the switch section of the push-pull pot (1-2-3 on the left side, 4-5-6 on the right side) for reference.

Your suggestions on how to solve this are needed and very much appreciated!  It really is a poser to me that turning EITHER pot down kills both of them.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 02:49:35 PM by Pilgrim »

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 01:35:25 AM »
I think you must switch the 3 and 4 lugs of the push pull, you must make the 3 hot and the 4 ground.

As for the volume pots problem, are you sure you have wire them as in the diagram? Because if you put the pickup input on the 2nd lug of the pot instead on the first, you've got this "problem". Gibson calls it "the modern wiring"...

Also, check out all of your grounds and the siognal path, maybe you've got shorts or something.

If you solve those problems, we can talk about out of phase thingies, if you still have the courage ofcourse! ;)
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 06:55:00 AM »
I'll make the 3-4 swap and see what happens...thanks!

I thought I was putting the pot's OUTput on the middle lug - but sometimes I forget that electricity travels both ways.  I'll leave them as is for the time being unless someone can help me with an alternative.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 08:34:08 AM by Pilgrim »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 09:00:54 AM »
Hmmmmph.  Swapped the pickup leads on 3 & 4 and no joy - same problem.  I also added a ground jumper wire between the two pots in an effort to kill the hum, but that didn't work either - it still comes and goes with handling the pots.

I'm about ready to put in two conventional pots with no tone pot - wire the Dimarzio with both coils together - and call it good.  I've had this thing on the bench for three weeks since I got the second pickup and I'm ready to stop messing with it and play it.

I don't know whether I'm missing something or the problem is not having the second pot as a buffer of some kind, but the complication of the push-pull is becoming more trouble than it's worth.