Author Topic: Evil genius input solicited  (Read 3688 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Evil genius input solicited
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2010, 10:37:16 AM »
I have an idea that might work...and it's kind of a "first step" approach...essentially follows this comment:

I vote vol/vol with the Dimarzio wired fullbore. You lose the coil splitting ability but I bet you can get lots of cool sound just by blending the two pups.

...What do you think of installing two pots, each with a push-pull switch, each pickup full output?  I could then switch each pickup on/off.  The push-pull would allow traditional style EB knobs.

...Or I could do a stack-knob setup for vol/tone on each, with the ability to use the vol function to turn each pickup up or down.  This would necessitate a non-EB style set of knobs...but this appeals to me the most of the two options.

What do I lose? the ability to split the coils, but I have all the ability to balance the two pickups and vary tone.

And no new holes.

If the result isn't satisfactory, I could do further mods....including such an idea as a slider switch on the back cover to do coil switching.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 01:47:17 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2010, 08:43:13 AM »
I have an idea that might work...and it's kind of a "first step" approach...essentially follows this comment:

...What do you think of installing two pots, each with a push-pull switch, each pickup full output?  I could then switch each pickup on/off.  The push-pull would allow traditional style EB knobs.

...Or I could do a stack-knob setup for vol/tone on each, with the ability to use the vol function to turn each pickup up or down.  This would necessitate a non-EB style set of knobs...but this appeals to me the most of the two options.

What do I lose? the ability to split the coils, but I have all the ability to balance the two pickups and vary tone.

And no new holes.

If the result isn't satisfactory, I could do further mods....including such an idea as a slider switch on the back cover to do coil switching.

If you use 2 vol pots only you don't need push/pull pots.
                              OR
You could use 2 pots: 1 blend that would give both or either pup and 1 for either tone or master volume.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2010, 08:55:34 AM »
If you use 2 vol pots only you don't need push/pull pots.
                              OR
You could use 2 pots: 1 blend that would give both or either pup and 1 for either tone or master volume.

Point #1:  D'OH!  I just had the Homer Simpson moment.  Of COURSE if I use Vol/Vol I don't need switches.  So much for missing the glaringly obvious.

Point #2: Also well said, and fairly obvious.

I imagine if I used vol with push/pull pots that I could use the Vol side for gain and the push/pull for single/double coil on each pickup.  That might cover the options pretty well.  I'm not quite sure how deep a cavity is needed for the push/pull extension n the switch, but I'm guessing the EB-0 will work.  So far I haven't found any sites with depth dimensions on the electronics that go inside the cavity.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2010, 11:22:36 AM »
I've got a p/p used on my EMG's that needs 1" minimum.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2010, 11:52:47 AM »
Thanks.  I'll check it out!  We have a local GC and that's something they just might carry, too.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2010, 01:12:07 PM »
You might check out this guy's Ebay store.  I've been very satisfied with everything I've bought from him.  One shipping charge for 1 item or 100.  Lots of useful luthier parts.  Stack pots and knobs also. Quick shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/B500k-PUSH-PULL-GUITAR-CONTROL-POT-POTENTIOMETER-/190367126708?pt=Guitar_Accessories

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2010, 07:55:15 AM »
You might check out this guy's Ebay store.  I've been very satisfied with everything I've bought from him.  One shipping charge for 1 item or 100.  Lots of useful luthier parts.  Stack pots and knobs also. Quick shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/B500k-PUSH-PULL-GUITAR-CONTROL-POT-POTENTIOMETER-/190367126708?pt=Guitar_Accessories

Thanks! Two pots ordered. I read up on the 250 / 500 decision and was reminded that the 250K pots tend to roll off the highs a bit.  With a mudbucker and Model One on that bass, I don't think I need/want to roll off highs at all, so I went for two at 500K. I'll use the Vol side to balance the pickups and the push/pull to select single/double coil.  I already have Labella Deep Talkin' flats on the EB-0, so I have a sound I like and I'm not convinced I will need any tone control.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2010, 08:19:28 AM »
Thanks! Two pots ordered. I read up on the 250 / 500 decision and was reminded that the 250K pots tend to roll off the highs a bit.  With a mudbucker and Model One on that bass, I don't think I need/want to roll off highs at all, so I went for two at 500K. I'll use the Vol side to balance the pickups and the push/pull to select single/double coil.  I already have Labella Deep Talkin' flats on the EB-0, so I have a sound I like and I'm not convinced I will need any tone control.

Sounds like you will have lots of options w/o the need for a tone control.  Looking forward to hearing how it turns out.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2010, 10:45:21 AM »
I'm not quite sure how deep a cavity is needed for the push/pull extension n the switch, but I'm guessing the EB-0 will work.

I used them when I rewired my former '69 EB-0:

They sorta kinda fit.  I had to deepen the cavity slightly on the inside (under that brass insert), and they still pushed against the cover just a tad, when it was installed. 

Its close... but you should be able to shoehorn them in there one way or another.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2010, 10:49:39 AM »
OK...the mudbucker is here and in the cavity, but there's a problem - the cover (very nice chrome one with the Gibson script) sits higher then the base of the fretboard!  As a result, the strings hit the pickup cover.  To move the strings high enough so that they don't hit the cover would result in extremely and unacceptably high action. 

The cover has edges nearly 1/4" high (the bent edges from the cover top to the bass)....is is acceptable to consider grinding down the edges of the cover so it doesn't sit up so high?  If not, how does one cope with this?

It's something I haven't run into before...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2010, 11:05:54 AM »
 Grind, Baby, Grind!

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2010, 12:10:28 PM »
The later-60s muds used a taller cover.  Sounds like that's what you have there.

My EB-2D is about the same vintage as your bass, and the cover on that one is very shallow by comparison.

Grinding sounds like a good plan - let the sparks fly!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2010, 03:11:43 PM »
OOOOooooooo - kay.

Going to see ZZ Top tonight, this weekend will mount that cover to a wood block for security, then grind the edges down.  I'll use the sanding disc on my Shopsmith!  (In the center of the machine...)

« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 11:09:25 AM by Pilgrim »