Author Topic: Rivertone Gibson copies - worth a look?  (Read 8682 times)

PhilT

• View Profile

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Rivertone Gibson copies - worth a look?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 06:58:28 AM »
Not exactly cheap are they?

They are going have a hard time selling those EB3 copies. The Gibson worn faded ones are cheaper... :o

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 07:27:04 AM »
They might be nice, but it would be nice to know a lot more about them. When I see a wide range of instruments I get suspicious at the "hand built" description. And if you're going to be selling in the same price range as the brand you're copying, you need to tell people why they should buy from you.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 08:52:57 AM »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 10:31:23 AM »
Digging about on the web sites, it looks like Rivertone guitars are made by John Robinson, who works at, possibly owns, The Rock Factory shop in Castleford, Yorkshire. He claims to have made his first guitar at 13 from a old table top and reinforced the neck with a 1/4" steel bar. It doesn't look like he has any other outlets. Doesn't look like a chinese bass reseller somehow, just a yorkshireman who doesn't care about marketing.

There's an expensive real LP bass on the Rockfactory site. http://www.rockfactory.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=gbg-gib9

I assumed the Rivertone "Joe Bayliss" signature violin bass (http://rivertone.co.uk/baylissrv1.html) was some local celebrity, but there's several reviews on the RockFactory site from a Joe Bayliss. One I found that I lost and can't find now said Joe Bayliss USA. Something about the use of capitals and syntax fits with this comment to an article about Roy Buchanan. http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/articles/11894/songs-from-a-blue-guitarist

Intriguing.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 01:51:17 PM »
Wot!!?? No Rivertone leftys??!!  >:(

I see they have an assortment of leftys in other brands.
The Rockinbetter looks purty.  8)

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 01:58:52 PM »
That EB-3-alike sorta reminds me of John Glascock's bass

Ole!

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 02:44:14 PM »
I emailed RockFactory and got this reply ....

I make the Rivertone instruments you refer to.

Have you looked at http:/www.rivertone.co.uk/, where there are some pictures of the stuff I have made.

Yes , they are made from scratch, no bought in necks or anything, I buy my timber from local hardwood suppliers and start from there.
I use basic woodworking machinery, eg. bandsaw, router, etc along with rasps and chisels and the usual stuff.   No CNC here.

Every instrument I make is different, maybe different woods, different body shape or whatever. I would get bored if they were all the same.

My “day job” if you like, involves doing guitar repairs, rewires, mods etc for Rock Factory, so I hang my Rivertone stuff on the wall there as I finish them.

Yes, that is the Joe Bayliss, of  Roy Buchanan’s band.

I can and do make instruments to order, but you are looking at a 6-9 month lead time at the moment.

John

.... so a custom built lefty EB1 looks possible, with a bit of a long wait, but then how long would it take to find a real one?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 02:50:39 PM by PhilT »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 08:24:32 PM »
Good to know. I would think he ought to make that clear on his website. OTOH with that kind of lead time, maybe word of mouth is all he needs.

Chaser001

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 09:38:54 AM »

rivertone

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 12:27:36 PM »
Hi, Rivertone here.

Most of the above is correct.

All my basses and guitars are hand built - not Chinese (apart from some of the hardware)

I have been making instruments for over 45 years, so yes there are quite a few. I played bass in a Free tribute band (doing the Andy Fraser thing ) for most of my career, until a hand injury, and the smoking ban, made it more of a pain than a pleasure. (still miss it though) :-[

I have owned and played ( on stage ) 5 EB3's. 2 EB2d's, '53 EB1, '71 EB1 reissue, Antoria 70's(?) EB1 copy, Les Paul bass, Triumph Bass, some from the dark side (F-word).

Most of the EB3's were ....er....disappointing, one was OK and one was (is) outstanding.(the one I have now)

The EB2d's, one (a black custom believe it or not) was so- so, the other one (sunburst) was awesome, but bit too lively with feedback on stage ( sold it to somebody in Portugal).

Of the EB1's, probably the Antoria was the best, but hey - I was young and foolish- it didn't have the Gibson logo!
The '53 looked the part, played the part, but was somehow dead.
'71 - least said the better .

LP & Triumph - interesting  - bit heavy(weight) for me.

Also nearly bought a Melody Maker style '59 EBO - no good not enough frets.

So, having used all this stuff, having a shop full of stuff, I started to make the bass that - for me - had all the features of the best I had played. After making that one, which ( for my requirements ) turned out great, I enjoyed the build so much , I made another, then thought maybe this would be fun, how about a violin bass......and so on.

Some one above thought my instruments were a bit pricey - Ha - works out at less than £2/hour.

Some one above thought we would have problems selling the EB3 copies ....there is only one - there is only me making them!

Anyway, - Thanks for the opportunity to introduce myself, if anyone would like to visit my workshop (maybe do a bit of sanding), come and see me at the Rock Factory I would love to show you round.

John

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 01:32:44 PM »
Welcome aboard John...

Gotta admit I like the s/h '84 you're selling...

Nice to have the details - shame your oop nooort or I might take you up on the sanding offer (I need the hands on advice after all my butchery... ;D)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 01:49:41 PM »
Hello John, Welcome aboard! Beautiful basses ! Love the EB1 style bass in sycamore. :o
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 06:54:04 PM »
Welcome, John. Good to know the story behind your business.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 07:13:44 AM »
i like the goncalo aves fingerboards. reminds me of really old and well used maple boards.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead