Author Topic: Triumph copy - any ideas?  (Read 1218 times)

PhilT

• View Profile
Triumph copy - any ideas?
« on: February 05, 2009, 03:47:15 PM »
Can anyone suggest the origins of this Triumph copy? Doesn't look like the Ibanez ones. I found a picture of a similar guitar with the same control plate layout badged Franpton (yes, 'n', not 'm'), but I've never come across that label before.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Triumph copy - any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 01:11:47 AM »
It's the same one as I have. Mine is wine red. I have CBS logo that was screenprinted afterwards.
It is either from the Hoshino factory or Fujigen Gakki. It has the Y symbol stenciled on the neck heel.

Here's another one I found recently. From the band The She Creatures. They have a nice collection of vintage instruments.

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 08:00:13 AM »
If I remember, you really like yours, don't you?

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 08:30:38 AM »
It's not among my favorite basses.
The neck had a terrible lump at the neck joint area. The trussrod couldn't help that.
I hung away the bass for about two years and then decided to take off the fretboard and try cure the problem.
Which I did eventually.
But it's still a bit of a problem child.

gotta go now. I'll tell you more later
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 03:38:55 PM by Basvarken »

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 03:48:10 PM »
The neck of this little bass isn't very stable. Kinda sensitive to changes in the weather. More so than any other bass I have.
It's ply wood by the way (the neck)...

The two slider switches are a bit silly cause they don't really do anything other than on/off. You would expect them to be coil switches or something, but as often with these Japanese copies from that era they were merely cosmetic  8)

It does have beautiful deep and warm lows. Very nice for slow blues with long sustaining notes.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 01:53:33 AM by Basvarken »

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 05:16:02 PM »
It looks nicer in the wine colour (even nicer on the girl with blue hair). The lighter one was on UK eBay. I thought £100 was a high start, but there was a bit of a bidding frenzy at the end and it went for £186. As it needs a fret job that was too much for me. Don't know if those ply necks are always unstable, that was another worry.