Gear Discussion Forums > Other Bass Brands

Birthday / Dad's day present coming!

<< < (8/8)

Pilgrim:
When it comes to overtones, I yield to Dave.  I don't hear a lot of difference but I've decided my ears are not highly discerning.

Dave W:

--- Quote from: Pilgrim on June 28, 2009, 04:50:59 PM ---When it comes to overtones, I yield to Dave.  I don't hear a lot of difference but I've decided my ears are not highly discerning.

--- End quote ---

You would in a direct comparison, even if your ears aren't attuned. If you played a Gibson EB-0 and EB-0L from the same years, even with the muddy pickup you'd be able to tell. If you used one of those 24 3/4" conversion necks from Warmoth et al on a Strat or Tele you would easily be able to tell how much difference even 3/4" makes.

Pilgrim:
Just to follow up on the new Casady bass:

I had a band practice last night and I learned both that it sounds wonderful AND I have a lot to learn about this particular bass.

- The signal sent by the Varitone really interacts with pedals, and once I figure it out there will be a lot more sound options.
- This bass has very soft attack when played fingerstyle - even less initial attack to the notes than my old Univox hollowbody.  But............
- Play it with a pick and it's a completely different bass.  There's much more treble and greatly increased attack to the notes - more difference in sound than any other bass I've played.  I know there's always a difference between finger and pick, but this is more than I've heard before.

It's gonna be a fun time learning this bass.  I don't think any of my other basses have shown the potential for such versatility.

And Dave asked:

--- Quote from: Dave W on June 27, 2009, 07:24:29 PM ---Just curious, is your Lyle a 335/EB-2 style but with a slanted neck pickup?

--- End quote ---

It's a 335-style hollowbody with a single pickup located about 2" or 3" below the neck.  Here's a shot of the body:

Here's a shot of the whole bass.  It's a 30" short-scale:

It has almost a Fender-style headstock.  I've had it and the pickup sitting around for more than a year - just haven't gotten around to it.  I'm due to stop buying basses and do some work on the projects I have laying about.  I have these three projects:

- Lyle SG-type that has a hump in the neck - the fretboard needs to come off, electronics need to be cleaned up and re-wired.
- Aria Diamond, predecessor of the Hi-Flyer model, needs a complete refin and probably needs the fretboard taken off, old glue job cleaned up and re-attached.
- Lyle hollowbody shown above, needs pickup surround, control knobs and nut.  I have in hand both the Gretsch pickup and a correct tailpiece with rosewood insert.  There are also some finish scratches that I intend to fix using Dr. Bassman's "U-betchum Red Ryder super-glue-scratch-filling" trick.

Pilgrim:
Also, in the interest of full disclosure, I should note that I need a shed.

Then Ken and I can BOTH be "Two-Sheds"!

Highlander:
Now your talking my language... ;D

Concrete took a bit of time to dry but off out to get the lino down tonight...

Sad but true...  ;)

Dave & Al... I remembered trying a Mustang a friend had years back, 75/76 or so, but I had an EB2 copy at the time and definitely preferred the copy - probably the neck profile... maybe I'll get the chamce to try a short-scale again some day...

Also Al, in the interest of full disclosure, I'm gonna have to post my 12 string in the guitar section, then try and seek absolution from the "Masters/Meisters..."  :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version