Author Topic: 2021 Nonreverse Thunderbird update  (Read 8731 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: 2021 Nonreverse Thunderbird update
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2021, 07:57:19 AM »
The Evertilt (Tilt-O-Matic, Supertilt) is a separate and distinct issue. Especially with the nylon saddles. I'd rather carve notches in a tree branch and stuff it under the strings.

Yeah, but make sure that the branch tilts forward a lot or you won't come close. The strings need to be anchored in the branch for ultimate effect.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2021, 07:59:17 AM »
Ah, my favorite, Jake and Dave being persistent and unreasonable with each other about issues nobody else cares about. A

As a lawyer I'd expect you to understand that there are definitions and they mean things.   
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2021, 08:56:10 AM »
Yeah, me too, Pinhead has style and sophistication. Freddy Krueger otoh is messy and without manners and Jason is a real bore as a dinner guest.

Agreed. I think all the Cenobites would be pretty solid dinner or party guests. They might devour your soul for dessert, but at least they'd probably stay later to help clean up.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2021, 09:08:18 AM »
Yeah, but make sure that the branch tilts forward a lot or you won't come close. The strings need to be anchored in the branch for ultimate effect.

Then it becomes a Wishbass...
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2021, 09:15:49 AM »
This bridge debate never gets old. I can't wait for the Reverse Thunderbirds to come out with these new reissue pickups and once again paired with a 3 point. The ultimate slap in the face will come when they finally reissue a Thunderbird II with 3 point bridges. The scenario is more akin to the human centipede if we're going to run with the horror film analogies. We keep consuming the same crappy bass bridges Gibson excretes and gladly come back for more as if we forgot how much they repulsed us the first time.  :puke:
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2021, 11:00:38 AM »
But mouth harps are musical!

What other kind of bridge comes with music built in?

I like the bar bridge on my '64 EB-0 just fine. The set screw for intonation is an inspired but simple device.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2021, 10:49:49 PM »
Dave, this seems contrary to your usual high standards.  I suspect a strong anti-3-point bias as the source of this temporary insanity.

By definition, if it creates an impression in the wood, it's NOT irreversable - that will still be there if you put the original bridge back.  You personally may (claim to) not care, but I assure you that you are not an obvious majority on this.  And it IS a ding (you just claim to not care).  Despite your feelings on this (somehow I doubt you'd buy a bass that had one and then was put back stock so you can see the impression at closet classic price) but others (me) do care, and so it WOULD affect price (at least when dealing with me and the approximately 50% of other Gibby bass fans that would also care).

You're woefully out of touch with the real world market.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2021, 02:30:34 AM »
Ah, Dave is doing his "I suffer because you are so inane"-shtick. This is regularly countered with further revolutionary zest from Jake.

Tune in next week when once again ... Only here at the LBO, you wouldn't want it any different, would you?

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2021, 03:43:13 AM »
Man I can't leave you guys alone for a minute. "A lot like anal sex" so essentially what you are saying is Gibson has been screwing us for years. ;D
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2021, 04:19:08 AM »
In all your just anger, Scott, please don't bring out the saw!!!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2021, 04:52:16 AM »
 :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2021, 08:59:19 AM »
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2021, 10:24:12 AM »
Will those finishes age like the vintage Gibsons? Sparkling burgundy turning orange, pelham blue turning green and inverness would get greener perhaps. Anyone here see any of their more recently finished Gibsons change shades like in the past?

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2021, 10:27:02 AM »
Will those finishes age like the vintage Gibsons? Sparkling burgundy turning orange, pelham blue turning green and inverness would get greener perhaps. Anyone here see any of their more recently finished Gibsons change shades like in the past?

Good question.  They already look more faded than I've seen new finishes before.  Like compare the Pelham Blue of this to the 2013 NR.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2021, 11:07:04 AM »
Well this new pelham finish is called faded off the bat, so one would assume it should be different. But that's the factory fresh color. My feeling is the nitro and whatever type of clear coat used now is a different animal from those of the past.