Author Topic: 2021 Nonreverse Thunderbird update  (Read 8735 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: 2021 Nonreverse Thunderbird update
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2021, 08:49:43 PM »
My Hipshot (2 point) has made a slight impression in the lacquer topcoat. So what? That's minor compared to the years of normal wear on the bass. It won't affect value, and in the meantime, I have a solid, more adjustable bridge.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2021, 06:24:42 AM »
I wouldn't buy your dinged up bass  :P

Also, how the hell do you get "normal wear and tear" under a 2 point (or 3 point).  None of mine have anything but dust covered pristine finish under there.

... and don't change the subject -there's the evertilt (I've never had the pleasure of owning a bass with one... still on it anyway -  my EB3 probably came with one originally) and then there's the 3 point.  Personally I like the look of 2 point styles (Schaller 460, the Epi Vintage Pro bridge/Badbird etc - even the 2 point though you know me, I'd probably deal with the tilt, if problematic, by adding a trapeze tail piece) but we're talking 3 point, which is a man's bridge; rrrrrrrrrrrrrugh!
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2021, 06:40:25 AM »
Way to go, you Lil' Polack Canuck, as usual we two are in perfect agreement! Identical twins separated at birth. Batter that darn two point floozy Dave into submission.

"I wouldn't buy your dinged up bass!  :P"

Darn right, not without pee stains you wouldn't! 

"... but perfectly adjusted it's still not as good as the Hipshot or Babicz, and you'll still have the silks or thick winding ends on the saddles ..."

Not wishing to be contrarian, Dave - nothing could be further from my natural instincts -, but when exactly did we determine the sonic impact of this rare phenomenon (similar to UFO sightings really) to the exacting scientific standards held so high in this forum of fora?

The three point is a lot like anal sex really, not for the uninitiated and it takes some preparation and skill (you don't want the stud slipping out for instance once you got the saddle position right), but once you get the hang of it ...

Waiting for some Tacoma support here!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 07:12:54 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2021, 09:25:28 AM »
The three point is a lot like anal sex really, not for the uninitiated and it takes some preparation and skill (you don't want the stud slipping out for instance once you got the saddle position right), but once you get the hang of it ...

So by this "logic," in Gibson's world, anal sex is the standard? Intriguing.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2021, 02:53:22 PM »
I wouldn't buy your dinged up bass  :P

Also, how the hell do you get "normal wear and tear" under a 2 point (or 3 point).  None of mine have anything but dust covered pristine finish under there.

... and don't change the subject -there's the evertilt (I've never had the pleasure of owning a bass with one... still on it anyway -  my EB3 probably came with one originally) and then there's the 3 point.  Personally I like the look of 2 point styles (Schaller 460, the Epi Vintage Pro bridge/Badbird etc - even the 2 point though you know me, I'd probably deal with the tilt, if problematic, by adding a trapeze tail piece) but we're talking 3 point, which is a man's bridge; rrrrrrrrrrrrrugh!

Oh FFS... I'm not talking about wear under the bridge but about general wear and tear on a 50 year old bass. A slight impression in the clear topcoat isn't going to reduce the value. It's not an irreversible mod.

I only brought up the two point b/c that's what I have. Sold my SG Bass quite a while ago.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2021, 07:30:45 PM »

Inquisitive and fearless souls are always welcome here ...

Yet it is not three point maladjusting hands that call us, it is desire ...

« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 07:39:59 PM by uwe »

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2021, 08:03:53 PM »
Love those movies. I met Clive Barker at a book signing in 1989 or so. Really nice guy.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2021, 02:57:38 AM »
Sigh.... when are you all going to realize they made it perfect the first time?
There can be only one master bridge - the bar bridge!

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2021, 03:01:51 AM »

Uwe, any bridge you 'load from the rear' invites to anal thinking :)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2021, 04:29:45 AM »
Love those movies. I met Clive Barker at a book signing in 1989 or so. Really nice guy.

Yeah, me too, Pinhead has style and sophistication. Freddy Krueger otoh is messy and without manners and Jason is a real bore as a dinner guest.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2021, 07:12:14 AM »
Oh FFS... I'm not talking about wear under the bridge but about general wear and tear on a 50 year old bass. A slight impression in the clear topcoat isn't going to reduce the value. It's not an irreversible mod.

Dave, this seems contrary to your usual high standards.  I suspect a strong anti-3-point bias as the source of this temporary insanity.

By definition, if it creates an impression in the wood, it's NOT irreversable - that will still be there if you put the original bridge back.  You personally may (claim to) not care, but I assure you that you are not an obvious majority on this.  And it IS a ding (you just claim to not care).  Despite your feelings on this (somehow I doubt you'd buy a bass that had one and then was put back stock so you can see the impression at closet classic price) but others (me) do care, and so it WOULD affect price (at least when dealing with me and the approximately 50% of other Gibby bass fans that would also care).
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2021, 07:45:07 AM »

When buying a new Gibson instrument, yes. Few things reach the murky depths probed in the quest for the "balance due" on a Les Paul.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2021, 07:46:42 AM »
Ah, my favorite, Jake and Dave being persistent and unreasonable with each other about issues nobody else cares about. Alas!, a conflict of Hemingway'esque proportions:The Old Man & The Kid Who Refused To Grow Up

:popcorn:

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2021, 07:52:02 AM »
My Hipshot (2 point) has made a slight impression in the lacquer topcoat. So what? That's minor compared to the years of normal wear on the bass. It won't affect value, and in the meantime, I have a solid, more adjustable bridge.

The Evertilt (Tilt-O-Matic, Supertilt) is a separate and distinct issue. Especially with the nylon saddles. I'd rather carve notches in a tree branch and stuff it under the strings.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2021, 07:54:21 AM »
Sigh.... when are you all going to realize they made it perfect the first time?
There can be only one master bridge - the bar bridge!

Personally, I never thought that using a mouth harp casing as a bridge is a good idea. It appears - even by the standards of North American engineering - makeshift to me.