Author Topic: drbassman  (Read 13051 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
drbassman
« on: June 13, 2016, 05:05:22 PM »
Very sad news.  :-[

I just got a PM from Bill. It said, in part: "I won't be able to moderate the projects any longer.  My cancer has advanced and I'm unable to do so.  It's been wonderful knowing you and the guys.  Please let folks know I won't be around and won't be posting any longer."

In early March he mentioned in passing that his cancer wasn't curable but that he would fight as long as there were avenues to do so. I don't think many of us caught that; I did but hoped he would be around a lot longer.

We've known each other online since the old FDP days, before the Pit existed. He's always been knowledgeable, gracious and good humored.

Blessings on you, Bill. You will be sorely missed.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: drbassman
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 05:14:02 PM »
    Bill is one hell of a nice guy, I really have enjoyed the times we got to hang out together and share our passion of bass guitars and tinkering. I first became aware of Bill on ebay, he was selling crazy Gibson stuff that really interested me. Turned out he was in the next town over maybe 15 minutes away. We struck up a friendship and would often meet for lunch, stop by each others shops to see what each other were up to or meet up at The House of Guitars to check out new Gibsons.  I have often said one of the best things about the Internet is meeting Bill.  I raise my glass to my friend.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Basshappi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 05:17:31 PM »
So sorry to hear this. I've always enjoyed his posts and projects here and on The ReRanch site.
He will be missed.
Nothing is what it seems but everthing is exactly what it is.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 05:26:02 PM »
Bill is a first class gentleman and a man to be honored and respected. I'm terribly sorry to hear that his cancer has advanced so far.

Friends, how can we send Bill expressions of our caring and esteem??  Dave??
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 05:28:27 PM »
     I'm close by I will do whatever I can if that helps.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 05:29:00 PM »
Al, you could try sending him a PM but I have no idea if he'll even be checking in any longer. OTOH if he's still checking his email, he'll see what the message says.

Scott, any ideas?

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 05:34:51 PM »
It breaks my heart to see this... I was privileged to trade (buying and selling) more than once with Bill, and between that and our interactions here and at the Dudepit, I came to appreciate his knowledge and demeanor. Bill, if you happen to drop in again, please know that I feel enriched to have known you, even if only online. My prayers go out for you and your family and I wish you peace on your journey.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 05:53:35 PM »
Very sad.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 06:43:19 PM »
   Ideas? I am at a loss, I was hoping you guys might.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 06:53:44 PM »

This makes me really sad, just breaks my heart.   
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 06:59:44 PM »
  Yeah me too.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2016, 07:48:28 PM »
I am so sorry to hear this. Bill is one of those people that I have never met but feel as if I "know" him from all of the years between the Dude Pit and here. He seems like a kind, generous, and caring person and he has been a great contributor here. I had hoped he was winning the battle with cancer and am greatly saddened to hear he is not. Cheers to you Bill! We are all better for having "known" you.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2016, 08:08:47 PM »
Bill is the reason I came here - his gracious invitation was all it took.  I'll certainly send him a PM.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2016, 08:10:42 PM »
^Ditto to everything Andy said.
Bill is one of the good guys, and I'm gutted to read this. His projects and skills have always been a huge inspiration.
My thoughts and prayers are with him and family.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2016, 10:58:56 PM »
I am shocked and very sad.
I've always enjoyed his posts.
Still hoping for a miracle...