Author Topic: paying for an eBay through PayPal but not through eBay  (Read 2987 times)

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
paying for an eBay through PayPal but not through eBay
« on: December 07, 2009, 05:03:51 AM »
Does my question make sense? I won something through eBay (feeling a bit of buyer's remorse, but that's another story!  :-\  ). The seller would like me to pay with an eCheck, but you can't do that if you go through the payment process "within" eBay. I can do it if I pay him directly through PayPal. Has anyone done this? I'm not suspicious of the seller, just not familiar with this process. Will it mess up my transaction in some way? I'm kind of doing it "outside" of eBay...

I hope this makes sense! Thanks in advance!

(BTW, it's a small Rhodes piano)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 05:21:45 AM by hieronymous »

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Re: paying for an eBay through PayPal but noth through eBay
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 05:21:40 AM »
Not sure about your question, but I hope you do not live on a second story loft!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: paying for an eBay through PayPal but not through eBay
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 05:49:52 AM »
If you try to pay for an Ebay item outside of one of their accepted payment routes, you could run the risk of getting your account revoked.  I *really* dislike what's become of Ebay.  They want a cut for listing any item, and then another cut for selling it.  One thing you might try is finding out from Ebay support about using an eCheck to pay for the item.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 09:05:26 AM »
Your answer is to go to the auction as it was set up.  if the seller said he accepts Paypal, hold him to it.  Under Ebay's terms I don't believe he can refuse payment via Paypal if he said he would take it.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 12:24:50 PM »
There is no advantage to you to send an eCheck through PayPal. The seller has an advantage because his fees for accepting the eCheck is limited to $5.00, but he has to wait for it to clear your bank before he can access the money. This might delay his shipping the item to you too.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 12:31:10 PM »
Just say no. He can't accept Paypal and then require you to pay by eCheck.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 12:56:29 PM »
You're talking about the eCheck option in Paypal, right?  You should be able to send an eCheck thru Paypal, and still be on good terms with Ebay as far as this transaction is concerned.  The thing you want to watch, though, is your protection as a buyer.  If you fund with a check or directly from your checking account, you lose a layer of protection you'll get funding by with a credit card.  For example, if there is a dispute and Paypal doesn't rule in your favor, then you could dispute the charge with your CC company.  

I always try to stick to CC or Paypal buyer credit (if you have that) as a buffer for purchases.  Unless they specified this in their auction text, I would not let them dictate what funding source to use.

Congrats on the Rhodes!  Remorse?  How could it be??  (other than lifting or shipping it, that is :) )

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 04:39:48 AM »
I love a Rhodes sound. Together with the Hammond B-3 and the Moog or ARP it defines rock keyboard playing.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 04:41:27 AM »
I love a Rhodes sound. Together with the Hammond B-3 and the Moog or ARP it defines rock keyboard playing.

Agreed, but is the RD of keyboards. We had a keyboardist who had one and had to lug that thing around to shows.

hollowbody

• Been working in the Kremlin with a two headed dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 10:21:18 PM »
I wouldn't send an eCheck unless it was specified in the auction.

I picked up a Stage 88 a few weeks ago.  It damn near killed me crab walking down the hallway when I first got it home.  I'll never be good enough at it to have to worry about transporting it to gigs.  As long as I can hack my way through "Mean Mistreater" I'm totally content.

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 08:46:49 PM »
Sorry I didn't post back in here - I was kind of embarrassed.  :-[  I didn't follow y'all's advice and I went ahead and payed with the eCheck. I didn't hear from the guy for a while, and eBay still says I have to pay for the item. But the keyboard arrived today! It is a beaut!

There's a story about the delivery - I have a really steep driveway, and the FedEx guy had trouble backing up it (his tires started skidding), so he stopped at the bottom. He was like, "Do you have a heavy package, like 100 pounds?" Yup. He asks, "Does it need to go up there?" Yup. Then he says, "Do you mind if I carry it up?" No problem, I thought maybe the handtruck would be easier, or he could back up, but he wasn't gonna try and back up again. So he drags it to the edge of the truck, then asks, "Could you help me?" I said "sure if you help me carry it into the house!" At first he was reticent, but he ended up waiting. And thank goodness - at first, between the two of us it was ok, but it was feeling REALLY HEAVY by the time we got it up the stairs. My arms are still aching! I don't think I could have gotten it in the house by myself, and my wife wouldn't let me slide it to the room it needed to go to. I should probably start lifting weights and try and build up some muscles!

Do you think it will be a problem with eBay that my item is still marked unpaid? I've emailed him a couple of times, and he answers but he doesn't answer everything I ask. Maybe he's waiting to get feedback? (which I gave)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 09:55:44 PM »
You won the auction. You have proof that you paid. You have the item. If it's okay and you're satisfied with it, just contact eBay and point out that it is paid. If he's trying to avoid eBay fees, they will find out, but that will be his problem.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2009, 02:12:20 PM »
Right on!  Glad everything worked out.

Nothing like the real deal!   8)