Author Topic: Please recommend me Thunderbird replacement pickups  (Read 18878 times)

Andrew

• View Profile
Please recommend me Thunderbird replacement pickups
« on: December 22, 2012, 12:43:13 PM »
Hey all, the impossible has finally happened and Gibson is issuing left handed basses. So I have a Thunderbird on order. I've put some time in on a right handed 2012 Thunderbird for reference and I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a replacement pickup for thunderbirds with a bit more top end clarity?

I also tried a stock Epiphone Elitist Thunderbird and preferred it's sound to the Gibson one, if that helps show closer what I'm after.

Thanks!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Please recommend me Thunderbird replacement pickups
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 02:13:01 PM »
 I like Thunderbuckers, best repro Thunderbird pickup out there imho. I have them in a number of bases, they really cut through.http://www.thunderbuckerranch.com/
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 04:24:31 PM »

Well, I like Mike Lull's, they're sold as 8k, 9k sets. Exactly like early '60s Gibsons, even the covers are made by the same company Gibson used - Chrome, Polished Nickel, Raw Nickel, Black and Gold  ;) 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 05:07:18 PM »
... but do either of those pups sound like those fitted to Elitists...

Did Uwe say they were "similar" to TB+ pups...?

Andrew... if you really like the sound of those pups, wait until you new Lady arrives, see how you get on with the sound, and if you really like the Epi Elitest pups, swop them out and offer the Gibbie pups up for sale or swop once you are satisfied... people but T'birds for one of two things: the look or the sound... when you have both, the stage is your playground...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 08:51:04 PM »
The pickups in the Epi Elitist are the guitar humbucker size, right? They are the same as found in the LP Standard basses and are more aggressive than regular TBPlus. I have one in my Bach and two in my Epi Goth Rebuild http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=7178.0 because I like them so much. The ThunderBucker Max is probably a good comparison to those pickups.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 05:08:58 AM »
The pickups in the Epi Elitist are the guitar humbucker size, right? They are the same as found in the LP Standard basses and are more aggressive than regular TBPlus. I have one in my Bach and two in my Epi Goth Rebuild http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=7178.0 because I like them so much. The ThunderBucker Max is probably a good comparison to those pickups.

ThunderBucker MAX is a very different concept than TB Plus style pickups.  MAX uses Alnico 5 magnets and a very large amount of thin copper wire, the same gauge used in vintage Gibson Thunderbird pickups but MORE.  TB plus have ceramic magnets and smaller amount of thicker wire.  MAX has a darker and fuller sound, may not be what you're looking for if you like TB+.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 08:41:11 AM »
I didn't mean to infer the pickups sound the same. I meant if he liked the more aggressive sound of the humbucker sized pickups then the Max was probably more up his alley.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 09:55:13 AM »
  The MAX kicks ass. I have it in my Cataldo signature. Some video was shot at the last gig, it just hasn't been downloaded yet :-[ I'll try and get it posted as soon as I can.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 12:24:12 PM »
Thanks guys. Of the samples on the Thunderbucker Ranch website, I like the sound of the '63 pickups the best.

Which i read elsewhere on here is generally the least liked one from TBR.  :-\

Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 12:27:11 PM »
Also, has anyone swapped the hardware on a new Thunderbird to all chrome? If so, got a pic?

Recommend a chrome elephant ear tuner that fits the modern t-bird headstock and a chrome aftermarket bridge?

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 03:57:38 PM »
Jason Lollar Makes a Bad-Ass Thunderbird Pickup as well.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 04:42:29 PM »
Now if I only get around to fitting my one... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 04:58:54 PM »
I like the sound of the '63 pickups the best.

I think it's more a case of people preferring a hotter pickup (rather than anyone not liking the '63). I just got a '66 set for one of my 70's birds. When I can afford it I'll be buying a '63 set for my other 70's bird. If you like the '63s I say go for it!

I chromed out a black modern bird around 10 years ago. Drbassman has it now. I love newer birds with the chrome mod. ;)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 05:47:57 PM »
Thanks guys. Of the samples on the Thunderbucker Ranch website, I like the sound of the '63 pickups the best.

Steve and I decided to cover all bases (basses) with the VINTAGE Thunderbird sound, from original '63, NR'66 to MAX.  He also custom winds them for other builders, Birdie of Fleetguitars.com being one.

Steve sells all of his pickups with a 30 day money back guarantee.  So you can try any set and exchange it or return it for a refund, no questions asked...anyone else doing that?

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 05:57:09 PM »
I think it's more a case of people preferring a hotter pickup (rather than anyone not liking the '63). I just got a '66 set for one of my 70's birds. When I can afford it I'll be buying a '63 set for my other 70's bird. If you like the '63s I say go for it!

I chromed out a black modern bird around 10 years ago. Drbassman has it now. I love newer birds with the chrome mod. ;)

I love that bass George!

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...