Author Topic: The Beatles on Jack Paar  (Read 1812 times)

morrow

• View Profile
Re: The Beatles on Jack Paar
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2024, 05:54:46 AM »
The screaming and hysteria , nothing like Beatlemania before or since. The complete fashion change. I was in Jr High and everything changed after the Ed Sullivan show. Immediately.
The arse fell out of the Brylcreem market overnight.
And about every two months there was a new single , and a new LP a month or so after that. And here in Canada the singles were generally not on the LP.
They were a machine churning new material.

It was an amazing time.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2024, 05:57:59 AM »
I don't doubt he would have used it in the studio if it had been available and if it would have helped him to do what he wanted. But the Beatles could sing live without it. Taylor Swift apparently can't.

Still, I don't begrudge her success. She makes her fans happy, and that's fine by me.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2024, 06:13:52 AM »
Taylor didn't have the training of those six sets a night in the Hamburg red-light-district!

I also believe that the auto-tune sound has by now become de rigueur for certain types of music just like distortion belongs to rock guitar though it was initially unwanted by producers.

But I get you, Taylor is at best an ok singer. She is no Whitney or Mariah who had - no matter what you think of their image and music - one-of-kind singing ability.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2024, 02:16:52 PM »
Taylor didn't have the training of those six sets a night in the Hamburg red-light-district!

I also believe that the auto-tune sound has by now become de rigueur for certain types of music just like distortion belongs to rock guitar though it was initially unwanted by producers.

But I get you, Taylor is at best an ok singer. She is no Whitney or Mariah who had - no matter what you think of their image and music - one-of-kind singing ability.

I guess I'm missing something - what are the tipoffs to someone using autotune?  Not sure what to listen for.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2024, 02:33:33 PM »
I guess I'm missing something - what are the tipoffs to someone using autotune?  Not sure what to listen for.

Check out T-Pain. The Cher song "Believe"is another good example.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2024, 02:46:27 PM »
I don't remember if it was here that I recently posted this (sorry if it's a repeat), but though I can't name one Taylor Swift song, I find this fascinating.

https://www.guitarworld.com/artists/taylor-swift-new-eddie-van-halen

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2024, 05:09:07 PM »

You've heard it a million times, there is no escaping it, you've been hearing it for almost 30 years. It's not just a pitch correction, it smoothens the vocal sound and gives it that digital, artificial sheen. It also takes away expression and mojo.

But let's not forget: Not every artist using autotune can't sing, a lot of them just consider that airey, artificial and smoothened sound de rigueur for a modern pop production.

Rob Halford can no doubt sing/scream in tune and with control,

(recorded in 1989 in pre-autotune days)

yet he is one of the few old guard singers who admits that he uses electronic pitch control live which corrects his singing up to a quarter note (half a half step). He says it gives him less to worry about on an off night and he doesn't want to disappoint people who have paid for a good show. Now crucify him for that.

Re Taylor: I don't think that autotune is the key to her success. She can hold a note though her girlie voice won't win no charisma prize doing it. But even her fans don't rate her as this great singer, Taylor is loved because her fans find her lyrics about (essentially) relationships, struggles and self-doubt relatable, she is everyone's big (wealthy) sister you can ask for advice and help if things aren't running smoothly in your life because she sings about her hiccups too.

That said, I'm no fan of what autotune does to the overall characteristic of a voice, it's like a blender into which you pour your strawberries and cherries for some supposedly delicious mush coming out of it. I prefer my strawberries or cherries whole, even with a little worm once in a while. Yet people love their blenders in the kitchen, don't they?

I'm philosophical about the whole thing: What makes sense for the hit of a dance act where no other instrument is "natural" either, need not apply to Nick Cave. Horses for courses.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 08:32:33 PM by uwe »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2024, 11:41:23 PM »
I don't remember if it was here that I recently posted this (sorry if it's a repeat), but though I can't name one Taylor Swift song, I find this fascinating.

https://www.guitarworld.com/artists/taylor-swift-new-eddie-van-halen

You can hear an excerpt right here.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2024, 04:43:14 AM »
Is Dave really taking a measured stance here? ;D

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2024, 05:58:16 PM »
Here's her unedited vocal.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2024, 06:40:17 PM »
Seriously, with her productions the AutoTune is a stylistic means to achieve a certain sound, just like those looped computerized beats and the layered synths. That doesn’t mean I like it, it’s as samey as a Motörhead album and I can never tell her songs apart. She’s 33 now, why she insists on having her voice squeezed through a blender so she sounds like an electronically enhanced 16-year-old instead of a young grown-up woman is beyond me.

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2024, 08:48:19 PM »
Is Dave really taking a measured stance here? ;D

It's his bleating heart.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2024, 09:55:45 PM »
Seriously, with her productions the AutoTune is a stylistic means to achieve a certain sound, just like those looped computerized beats and the layered synths. That doesn’t mean I like it, it’s as samey as a Motörhead album and I can never tell her songs apart. She’s 33 now, why she insists on having her voice squeezed through a blender so she sounds like an electronically enhanced 16-year-old instead of a young grown-up woman is beyond me.

When that song came out, she was a lot closer to 16 than 33. It's an oldie.

It's his bleating heart.

Baaaa!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2024, 06:58:52 AM »
Dave has obviously never forgiven her for turning her back on “Real Country”. Stuff like that weighs heavy with him, the ultimate sin.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 08:40:09 AM by uwe »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2024, 10:56:02 PM »
Any association between Taylor Swift and country music is purely coincidental. She just used the trappings of country in her stage act.