Author Topic: VOX Phantom IV  (Read 4583 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
VOX Phantom IV
« on: July 14, 2012, 10:29:44 AM »
Template, that is.  Someone asked a while back, I'm a little fuzzy on who.  Grid is 1 inch.  I left about 1/16" space around most of the perimeter.

Front and back of my Made in Britain '64

If anyone needs more details let me know.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
Re: VOX Phantom IV
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 11:03:30 AM »
That was me - not that I've had time to build anything!  Except for one freaking huge entertainment center and my wife's library - do you have any idea what a PIA it is to hang furniture quality, floor to ceiling book cases, 12' high, in new house?  I'm hankering for some smaller "me" projects  ;D

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 11:23:33 AM »
That was me - not that I've had time to build anything!  Except for one freaking huge entertainment center and my wife's library - do you have any idea what a PIA it is to hang furniture quality, floor to ceiling book cases, 12' high, in new house?  I'm hankering for some smaller "me" projects  ;D

Thought it might be you.

Re the shelves: Actually, I do from building to hanging and refinishing the rolling library ladder to match.  My condolences, you've earned some credit towards "me " projects.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 02:20:13 PM »
Seriously envy that amount of shelf space... 8)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Lightyear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 08:43:07 PM »
Thought it might be you.

Re the shelves: Actually, I do from building to hanging and refinishing the rolling library ladder to match.  My condolences, you've earned some credit towards "me " projects.

Thanks!  Yeah, the damn house does not have a plumb and square anything - let alone wall.  It's actually better than most as I walked the house every day while under construction with my 6' level, much to the dismay of the consturction manager  ;D

Yeah the ladder comes with the next wall of cabinets :sad:  I've found a supplier that will sell me all of the hardware, rails included, for a reasonable cost.  That's what I get for building a library for short lady with book fetish  ;D

When you get a chance, no rush, I would like a quick trace of your pattern.  I'm thinking that an "offshore" 30" Fender neck can be reworked to allow a nice Vox headstock.  I just have to find a pickup with a white cover?  Maybe a blade style strat pickup?

Kenny, I would trade places with you vis a vis space - the next two walls in the library will probably put me in the grave  ;D  Of course, this may be SWMBO master plan :rolleyes:

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 09:16:07 AM »

...I've found a supplier that will sell me all of the hardware, rails included, for a reasonable cost...

My experience was the mid 80's when I was doing custom furniture before I started my own line. There were two suppliers in L.A. that sold the hardware but I didn't want to build it.

IIRC the from the factory oak ladder was almost $1k even before I refinned it to match the cabinetry/shelves I 'd done.  It was for an interior decorator's house in Pasadena, I did a lot of work for her on commercial projects.  I't's nice to work with people who know what stuff costs and are willing to pay for good work.

When I worked with decorators I charged them what seemed to me to be outrageous prices.  Then I found out they added between 20 to 50% or more to the prices when they billed their customers, so the more they paid the more they made.  This was in addition to the fees they were charging for their "design services."  Helluva racket.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 02:55:57 PM »
That's what I get for building a library for short lady with book fetish  ;D

You're building 12 foot bookshelves for a short lady?  You must be building some rolling ladders to track along the front, too....?
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 03:31:44 PM »
Maybe Buzz has got plans for her too... :o

Shelf envy is due to the large collection I have of sci-fi lingering unloved in boxes in the loft - everything at ground level is pretty much my Hebridean or Burmese research... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Lightyear

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 03:49:33 PM »
You're building 12 foot bookshelves for a short lady?  You must be building some rolling ladders to track along the front, too....?

Yep, this is what what she demads - to the ceiling!  You know the old saying "If momma's not happy nobody's happy!"  ;D

This is what Carlos was talking about - a very traditional rolling library ladder that tracks on a central rail.  In my case the rail will be about 7' off the ground will cover three wallls  :o :o :sad:

Carlo, the original, and I do mean original, manufacturer of library ladders is still in business in NYC!  THey are well past 100 years old and they still use most of the original castings and hardware.  They only sell assembled ladders but you can choose your finish or lack thereof, wood and length.  They are not cheap but when you consider what you are getting they really are resonable.  I just can't justify $1200 for the ladder alone when I can buy similar hardware for $150 to added to $50 worth of oak and my labor.  The rail and other hardware will set me back maybe $500.

No Kenny, her life insurance wouldn't support the the semi-decent lifestyle I'm accustomed to! ;D

On the other hand, if I go by acciddent, I'm worth $750,000.00 plus my 401K - then we're talking a 1.2 mil plus.  I have to be very careful nowadays. ;)

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 07:37:26 PM »

No Kenny, her life insurance wouldn't support the the semi-decent lifestyle I'm accustomed to! ;D

On the other hand, if I go by acciddent, I'm worth $750,000.00 plus my 401K - then we're talking a 1.2 mil plus.  I have to be very careful nowadays. ;)

Better stay off of that ladder then!!!!
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 06:40:08 AM »
Hey Carlo,

Phantom sells the knobs and bass pickups online.  At least they used to.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 10:17:11 AM »
Hey Carlo,

Phantom sells the knobs and bass pickups online.  At least they used to.

Thanks, Bill.  The Phantom Guitar Works pickups don't come close to the original British Vox ones which are based on single coil Precisions (with 2 different string widths to fit bridge/neck spacing) but wound hotter.  The EKO phantom pickups are quite a bit weaker.  I'd have Steve build pickups, but there's very little interest in Phantoms.  My Phantom would be the weapon of choice in a hard rock band these days.  Too many bolt on Epi Reverse TBirds out there at the moment.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 11:38:37 AM »
Wow, I had no idea!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 12:18:50 PM »
Basically it's a Fender with a weird body, early P pickups and neck profile, second generation threaded saddle bridge.  Crosshead screw adjustable at the heel trussrod.  Has a sweet ebony board on tiger maple neck.  No wonder they weren't making any money building them in the UK.