Author Topic: I have entered the ministry  (Read 465 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
I have entered the ministry
« on: June 04, 2022, 08:49:49 PM »
As of this evening I am an ordained Dudeist Priest.  I have the documentation coming from http://Dudeism.com

I admire the way of The Dude, and there is a story....

My oldest daughter was married at 5 PM this Thursday at the Mishiwaka Amphitheater (https://www.themishawaka.com/) west of Fort Collins.  A lovely old venue next to the Poudre river, with kayakers going by all day long.  The officiant was one of her past bosses, a very cool lady who has been ordained for some time.  Turns out that you don't have to use an officiant of any formal religion; in most of the US just about anyone who is ordained by a religion defined very loosely is just fine as long as they carry out the correct process in documenting the wedding.

It was a fantastic event.  There was an excellent live band and the music went on until 9 PM.  It was a wonderful time!

At the event, one of my nieces asked me if I could be the officiant at her wedding in December.  Turns out that in her fiance's family there is a tradition that the senior uncle in the family conducts the ceremony.  I'm senior to any uncle on either side, so she asked.  Well what the heck, we were planning to go anyway, and I was complemented.  I of course said yes!

Then I came home, checked out the Church of The Dude, and was ordained.  It doesn't hurt a bit.

My daughter's last company, Duda.co (Internet services) was actually named after The Dude.  Their meeting rooms at HQ are named after various characters in the movie.  Anyway, she was aware that the Church of the Dude is one of many which you can use to become ordained online. Sounded like a great idea to me. They have a well developed website with many thoughtful and amusing support and philosophy materials. I like their approach, which is "Chill, dude."

I am, however, also thinking about what it might take to start a Church of The Coug.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
Re: I have entered the ministry
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2022, 08:54:07 PM »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2022, 05:02:23 AM »

https://dudeism.com/

It cannot be a coincidence that this letter of the man so devout he named himself Pilgrim here reaches us on Pentecostal! We have a dude deity among us, fall to your knees and repent if you please!

Actually, for some reason I never saw the movie, I'll catch up with that tonight, thank heavens for Amazon Prime.

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2022, 06:01:34 AM »
Well . . . Do you walk around in a bathrobe?

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2022, 06:57:52 AM »
Let’s go bowling .

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2022, 07:40:05 PM »

https://dudeism.com/

It cannot be a coincidence that this letter of the man so devout he named himself Pilgrim here reaches us on Pentecostal! We have a dude deity among us, fall to your knees and repent if you please!

Actually, for some reason I never saw the movie, I'll catch up with that tonight, thank heavens for Amazon Prime.

Bless you my son, and may the previous user of your bowling ball never have been eating potato chips.

And you MUST see the movie.  Every time I see it, I like it better.

Ixnay on the athrobe-bay.  Cutoff sweats and a extra large Joe Cool T-shirt...
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2022, 04:22:00 AM »
I saw it now, I'm a disciple: Everything has to do with 'Nam!  :mrgreen:

I didn't even know it had John Goodman in it - and I'm probably more a fan of John Goodman's acting (especially in serious roles) than of Jeff Bridges' who (like many great actors) tends to always play himself. I found Goodman's character Sobchak in some ways to be more of a protagonist driving the plot forward than the Dude. That rigidity he applied to his life, which destined him to failure again and again, reminded me of some real people I have come across.

Poor Steve Buscemi didn't really get too many lines, did he?  8)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2022, 10:10:55 AM »
I saw it now, I'm a disciple: Everything has to do with 'Nam!  :mrgreen:

I didn't even know it had John Goodman in it - and I'm probably more a fan of John Goodman's acting (especially in serious roles) than of Jeff Bridges' who (like many great actors) tends to always play himself. I found Goodman's character Sobchak in some ways to be more of a protagonist driving the plot forward than the Dude. That rigidity he applied to his life, which destined him to failure again and again, reminded me of some real people I have come across.

Poor Steve Buscemi didn't really get too many lines, did he?  8)

No kidding about Buscemi! 

It took me a while to realize that Walter had a bad case of PTSD and as a result, is one of those souls who can barely function in society. I love Goodman's work.  He is a really fine actor.  I even liked him in Blues Brothers 2000, which is a deeply silly film, but still a lot of fun.

Now let's all go forth and become Achievers!

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2022, 10:34:15 AM »
Shut the f*** up, Donny!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2022, 12:38:23 PM »
Nothing like communicating with each other, really.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2022, 01:30:03 PM »
Shut the f*** up, Donny!

One of the iconic elements of the film!

And Donnie did abide.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2022, 01:07:34 AM »
It's cause he didn't serve. Couldn't really understand. MY POINT BEING ...  :mrgreen:

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2022, 05:54:50 AM »
Forget it, Donny, you're out of your element!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2022, 07:19:13 AM »
Curbs and gutters man, curbs and gutters....

And m y wife is already asking how long she's going to have to put up with Dude quotes.   :sad:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 11:58:27 AM by Pilgrim »