Author Topic: G&L intonation problem  (Read 1436 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
G&L intonation problem
« on: February 08, 2022, 12:25:24 PM »
Last fall I picked up a very clean G&L JB Tribute in a good pawn shop.  I installed Labella Flexible Flats on it, and I've never been able to intonate it correctly.

I checked witness points, winding, string installation, and I still had trouble getting the bridge saddles extended far enough to get the pitch at the 12th fret to match the open string. The stock saddle adjustment screws wouldn't move the saddles out far enough to intonate. 

I finally bought matching stainless steel screws 20 MM longer than the stock screws, and ground the diameter of the pan heads down enough to fit the bridge recess where they insert.

The photo below is what I have now; three of the four strings are intonated correctly, but the D is still a touch flat at the 12th fret. I've had to extend the saddles to the very front of the bridge or even slightly beyond to intonate the strings.

I've never had a problem like this before.  I'm starting to suspect that the bridge is installed about 3/4 - 1/2" too far from the neck, and the result is that the saddles need to be extremely extended to intonate.

Thoughts? Suggestions? 

« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 12:45:14 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: G&L intonation problem
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 01:45:11 PM »
The angle that the saddles make does not look correct. You'd expect the E saddle to be further back than and A saddle. And the A saddle to be further back than the D. Et cetera.

I'd take the strings off and put them back on, all over again.
If it's still the same problem, try other strings.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 01:57:07 PM »
True, those saddles are not in the expected relationship to each other.  Good idea, worth a try.   

I have the original rounds and can re-install them for a test.

EDIT: yes, I re-installed the original strings and the saddles intonate in essentially the same places.  (In one case, minus a couple of MM in saddle travel.)

I'll play with raising and lowering the saddles a bit.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 03:39:02 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 06:44:46 PM »
There was a known batch of G&L JB Tributes with the issue described blown out as Musician's Friend SDOTD for $299.00.

Measure from the edge of the nut to the end of the fully extended saddle and if it's greater than 34", you'll know you've got one of the bad ones. If so, call G&L to see if they'll help you out.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2022, 08:04:06 PM »
Thank you. With the factory saddle adjustment screws, the distance from the nut edge to the fully extended saddles is well over 34 inches. I will call them!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2022, 12:43:09 PM »
I have to give credit where it's due on this one.

I called G&L at the number on their website, and connected with a gent named Memo. I described the problem and said I suspected he had heard of the problem before.

His response was that he had, and they would honor the warranty even though I'm not the original owner.  He asked me to send them an email with a description of the problem, and said they would authorize and ship me a replacement 20-fret neck which would intonate correctly.

As Ralphie's dad said in A Christmas Story,  "HOT DAMN!!!"

For those of you who didn't hit the link in BeeTL's post, there was a long thread on TB with a description of the problem.  It seems that some number of the JB Tributes were sold through Musicians' Friend with a 21-fret neck rather than a 20-fret neck installed. The result was the inability to intonate the bass because the 21-fret neck is longer.

I'll post again when this all happens.  For now, it seems that G&L is accepting their mistake and willing to make it right, even for someone who bought a used bass!

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2022, 01:44:34 PM »
Nice! Once you get the new neck, you may be able to build up a second bass with the old neck using a B-stock body with the correct specs (if available) and other G&L OEM parts:

https://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/collections/bodies
https://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/collections/

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2022, 03:29:45 PM »
Nice! Once you get the new neck, you may be able to build up a second bass with the old neck using a B-stock body with the correct specs (if available) and other G&L OEM parts:

https://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/collections/bodies
https://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/collections/

I checked the neck today and I may have dodged a second bullet - the OEM neck has a slight counter-clockwise twist.  If it gets any worse the neck would be difficult to play.

I am definitely fortunate in more ways than one with this outcome!

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2022, 04:56:59 PM »
Even better...rabbit-hole avoided. :mrgreen:

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2022, 05:16:11 PM »
If anyone here wants the old G&L neck after I replace it, just let me know.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2022, 08:56:24 PM »
I hope G&L got reimbursed by whichever Asian factory built those basses.

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2022, 06:07:50 AM »
I think Cort was making the Tribute line . That may well have changed .
I had one from Korea , before they moved production to Cort Indonesia after the big union fallout .
Good bass … slightly on the heavy side .

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2022, 07:56:03 AM »
Mine is about 9 pounds, which I don't think is unusually heavy for a J. It's about as heavy as I'll use, though.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2022, 08:57:22 AM »
That's great customer service. Glad it worked out and YAY Bass Outpost!