Author Topic: Amazing  (Read 3384 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Amazing
« on: February 28, 2013, 08:56:53 AM »
I haven't watched any part of the Oscars for at least 20 years. This is all I need to know.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: Amazing
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 09:16:05 AM »
I got through about half of that. Amazing!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 09:39:46 AM »
I watched it.  Kind of enjoyed it, and rather enjoyed Seth Mcfarlane tweaking Hollywood. 
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 11:55:04 AM »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 01:24:49 PM »
It's the new gorgeous then.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 03:18:44 PM »
I haven't watched any part of the Oscars for at least 20 years.

That's amazing.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 03:52:23 PM »
Reminds me of an Alexei Sayle sketch.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 04:14:09 PM »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 05:08:08 PM »
Two more overused words: absolutely and exactly, used when a simple "yes" would do.

I started noticing this a couple of years ago; I'll have one of the national morning shows on in the background for a while waiting for the news and weather. Whenever the hosts are interviewing someone, seems like every yes/no question is answered with "absolutely" or sometimes "exactly."

One of our local weathercasters is awful about this. Whether she's talking to an anchor or interviewing some group during the weathercast or hosting her Saturday morning news program, she's the queen of absolutely. If you had a drinking game where you would down a shot every time she says it on her Saturday morning show, you would have acute alcohol poisoning before the show was over.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 12:01:11 PM »
Every broadcaster who acts like a pro knows that you have to air-check yourself often, and listen to those recordings.  Everyone is prone to having pet phrases creep into their conversation, and there's no way to detect that unless you record air checks to assess what you're saying.  Sounds like she's not doing this.  An email to the station would be appropriate.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 12:10:26 PM »
Every broadcaster who acts like a pro knows that you have to air-check yourself often, and listen to those recordings.  Everyone is prone to having pet phrases creep into their conversation, and there's no way to detect that unless you record air checks to assess what you're saying.  Sounds like she's not doing this.  An email to the station would be appropriate.

I can't watch the video at work, but when I was writing for the periodical, my editor was really good about training me on things like repetitive words and phrases.  He never let me get away with referring to the same thing more than twice the same way on a single page review.  So, I got in the practice of using alternate words a lot - record, disk, vinyl, LP, platter, etc.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 06:56:46 PM »

It would be appropriate, but she's the chief meteorologist now and she's popular. I doubt if an email would have an effect unless I wrote to her directly.

It's not just her, though. Listen to the Today show some morning, and watch the guests (always pushing some product, diet etc.) let the absolutelys and exactlys fly out of their mouths.

Of course, every news station is unique and has its own way of phrasing things. Here's an example.  ;)

Darrol

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 03:47:18 AM »
If there is anything from this year's Oscars that you need to know, it is this. Nearly 500 visual effects artists were just blocks away protesting while the stars arrived and walked down the red carpet yet it wasn't mentioned. Then they introduced the Best Visual Effects category in a disrespectful manner before cutting off the winner just as he tried to bring attention to the situation.
There are many in this world that call me Darrol, feel free to be apart of that group.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 05:00:27 AM »
Geez, where wouldHollywood be without them?  It's all smoke and mirrors anyway!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 09:07:52 AM »
Those of us who keep the technology going and do the tech tricks know that we will never get credit in public. Never happened, not gonna happen.

Doesn't bother me a bit.  I make a living.