Author Topic: Live Long and Prosper  (Read 5882 times)

Darrol

• View Profile
Live Long and Prosper
« on: May 08, 2009, 03:05:59 AM »
So I went and saw the new Star Trek tonight and I thought I would share my spoiler free opinion and see if anyone else is planning to see it.

I actually enjoyed the movie even though I have never been much of a Star Trek fan. I thought the choices in actors were pretty good including Zachary Quinto as Spock and Karl Urban as McCoy. It was actually pretty interesting to see how they started from the beginning with the characters of the original series but kept it separate. One could actually say the movie is a continuation from the original series or an alternate, it makes sense after seeing the movie.

Rottentomatoes.com still has the movie at 95% with an average rating of 8/10 and only 8 out of 151 marking it as rotten.

Also, I thought it was pretty cool to see Leonard Nimoy reprising his role in the movie as well.
There are many in this world that call me Darrol, feel free to be apart of that group.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Re: Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 04:25:13 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing It really like Sylar as Spock. His character made Heroes tolerable.

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 05:28:09 AM »
Slyar is badass.i wanna check this movie out.never much of a trekie but i've always been a bit af a nerd. ie record collecting,comics, horror and sci-fi movies.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 05:33:13 AM »
I've heard only good things about it.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Darrol

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 10:59:19 AM »
Something I was a little surprised about was that the movie has such a large hype around it yet not even half the theater for the 8:30 pm show was full. There was a line forming for the IMAX showing at 10 but it just seemed like not as many people were there or they all went to the 3 7 pm shows.

I have seen a few shaky camera complaints from it but if I remember correctly the camera only really shook because it was along the lines of what would really happen like zooming in really fast on something moving in the distance and a ship going to warp right in front of a camera causing it to swing a bit.

I am probably going to go see it again if my friend wants to see it, might be able to convince him to see IMAX as it is only $4 more. Rottentomatoes.com has the movie up to a 96% with only 8 out of 188 saying it was rotten.
There are many in this world that call me Darrol, feel free to be apart of that group.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 11:29:33 AM »
I've heard only good things about it.

Not that critics count for much but Ebert said that it covers no new frontiers, but rather the same old ones & big movie formulas with modern wham bam special effects. He gave it 2 & 1/2 stars?

By the way I actually enjoyed Wolverine as did my wife & daughter, The critics hated it. Being a comic geek I actually enjoyed it. You do have to be an X man or Hugh Jackman fan to enjoy it or little of it matters in any way. I actually got dragged to it by my daughter!

I would rather go to a movie expecting it to be bad from negitive reviews, than go to a movie that can't live up to the hype (Watchman)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 11:44:30 AM »
I'm a-gonna see it, yessir, yes I am!!  But probably not this weekend - I'll give it a week for the crowds to thin out a bit.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 03:22:19 PM »
"Bass, the Final Outpost..."

Yes, a sad ole' "Trekker" here, slowly building up the back catelogue on DVD (as I can no-way afford blueray), gonna see the new one as-soon-as... may risk the crush...  ;D

John, nearly ditto re Wolverine and daughter...  saw it Tuesday - pretty good... ;D

The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 09:26:27 PM »
Loved it! I want to see it again at an IMAX theater...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 07:28:10 AM »
Not that critics count for much but Ebert said that it covers no new frontiers, but rather the same old ones & big movie formulas with modern wham bam special effects. He gave it 2 & 1/2 stars?

Never listen to movie critics.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 07:54:30 AM »
I find there are two categories of movie critics:

1) The pecksniffians who never like anything, and who I read because I know my opinion will be the opposite of theirs

2) The rare critic who is willing to appreciate a movie for what it's intended to be (action flick, good B movie, etc) and call 'em that way. 

Most fun movie critic ever: Joe Bob Briggs with movie fu of all kinds.  http://www.joebobbriggs.com/
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

pamlicojack

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009, 08:02:05 AM »
Never listen to movie critics.

I believe it was Ronald Reagan who said "Given the choice between the critics and the box office, I'll take the box office every time..."

(spoken during his actor days and is in no way meant to be a political statement)

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2009, 08:22:01 AM »
I love this description my friend gave:

"You walk in expecting it to be stupid, and then it turns out to only be stupid in the exact appropriate ways that it ought to be stupid, and possessing of massive brass ones everywhere else."

Rocker949

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2009, 09:07:53 AM »
In a way, I feel almost like an accidental Star Trek fan.  For instance, I once saw Leonard Nimoy speak, but I was already within walking distance of where he was going to be anyway.  On another occasion, I was in a city working and a Star Trek convention happened to be held there,  This means I've seen all the original cast members, with the exception of William Shatner.  I've seen all the Star Trek movies, but find the Star Wars movies to be a little better. 

I notice that in the advertisements to this movie they changed it from "this isn't your father's Star Trek" to "the first Star Trek for everyone."   I'd say that was a smart move on their part.  The loyalty of the original fan base isn't always guaranteed.  I haven't seen this movie yet, but for some reason the previews to it don't look particularly interesting to me.  I'm really not expecting a plot on the same level as the TV episode "City on the Edge of Forever." 

Note:  Since I posted, I have seen in the news that the movie is doing even better than expected.  That's good; I like the idea of more Star Trek movies in the future, even if this particular one doesn't really have my attention at the moment. 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 11:08:20 AM by Rocker949 »

Darrol

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 02:12:17 PM »
The movie ended up getting close to $80 million which is more than they expected. It also still sits with a 95% on rottentomatoes.com which is higher than Iron Man and The Dark Knight.

- Sent from my iPhone.