Author Topic: Early EB 3 or EB2D BRIDGE pup route HELP!  (Read 2738 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Early EB 3 or EB2D BRIDGE pup route HELP!
« on: November 29, 2014, 09:57:53 AM »
I'm finally getting around to installing a vintage BRIDGE neckbucker into my '67 EBO.

Anyone have a picture of the proper shape route?  I spent a lot of time looking for one, found a 70s pic but it's basically a rounded rectangle.  I remember seeing something a little different on 60s EBs and would like to get it as correct as possible.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 04:30:05 PM by dadagoboi »

lowend1

• View Profile
Re: Early EB 3 or EB2D neck pup route HELP!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 11:00:50 AM »
Will a '68 work? If it will, I'll open mine up and take a couple of shots...
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

hollowbody

• Been working in the Kremlin with a two headed dog.
    • View Profile
Re: Early EB 3 or EB2D neck pup route HELP!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 03:14:57 PM »
Here's a shot of a 65/66 that I have on my bench. The neck has been removed to install on my 67 Rivoli. 

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: Early EB 3 or EB2D BRIDGE pup route HELP!
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 04:34:51 PM »
My apologies hollowbody and Lowend, some day I'll learn bridge from neck.  I need a picture of a pre '68 minibucker (bridge) route.  Getting old is a bitch.

hollowbody

• Been working in the Kremlin with a two headed dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 04:47:10 PM »
I thought that might be the case, as you listed models with a bridge pickup. I looked through my pics and don't have one for you.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 04:48:11 PM »
I thought that might be the case, as you listed models with a bridge pickup. I looked through my pics and don't have one for you.

Thanks for checking!

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 11:35:12 PM »
Google image search returned these:

The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 03:16:30 AM »
My apologies hollowbody and Lowend, some day I'll learn bridge from neck.  I need a picture of a pre '68 minibucker (bridge) route.  Getting old is a bitch.

I read the subject text about 50 times :mrgreen:

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 05:44:44 AM »
Thanks, Ilan!  I used Google search but kept getting sidetracked.  The top image is the one I remember seeing.  I think Granny Gremlin posted it once.  The bottom pic looks like a '67.  I didn't realize until yesterday that the control layout is different depending on the year.

Sorry for wasting your time, Amptech.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 07:05:32 AM »
No time wasted here!

I did a similar thing to a ´67 EB0 a while back - I did the early route but I´m not really sure what year the routing changed.

I did the narrow ctrl. spacing, correct for the year - the shielding in the ctrl. cavity is hole punched for both models,
so the spacing looks factory laid out.

In fact, i traced the early (1961 to 1965) wide control spacing, for my ´neck glue project´EB6, it´s a ´65 model
so i feel comfy with that. I love the wide spacing, although the upper knobs are quite close to the bridge.
It was a lot of routing, glueing and filling, but worth it, I think..

EDIT: when thinking of it, it is possible they changed the bridge pickup routing when they standardized the control cavity routing to fit both EB0 and EB3 in 1965. But the routing for the NECK pickup wire must have appeared somewhat later,
66 -67 perhaps? I have two 65 models - one with small ctr cavity rout, one with the big ´new´route. None of them
have neck pickup wire rout, which bot my 67´s got.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 07:32:59 AM by amptech »

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 07:47:54 AM »
Never realized what a light and graceful design an earlier EBO had. Wonder why Gibson doesn't make a simple oil finish EBO.  With the modern pickup, it would probably sound good and sell.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 08:46:28 AM »
No time wasted here!

I did a similar thing to a ´67 EB0 a while back - I did the early route but I´m not really sure what year the routing changed.

I did the narrow ctrl. spacing, correct for the year - the shielding in the ctrl. cavity is hole punched for both models,
so the spacing looks factory laid out.

In fact, i traced the early (1961 to 1965) wide control spacing, for my ´neck glue project´EB6, it´s a ´65 model
so i feel comfy with that. I love the wide spacing, although the upper knobs are quite close to the bridge.
It was a lot of routing, glueing and filling, but worth it, I think..

EDIT: when thinking of it, it is possible they changed the bridge pickup routing when they standardized the control cavity routing to fit both EB0 and EB3 in 1965. But the routing for the NECK pickup wire must have appeared somewhat later,
66 -67 perhaps? I have two 65 models - one with small ctr cavity rout, one with the big ´new´route. None of them
have neck pickup wire rout, which bot my 67´s got.

My '65 EBO has the small route (pots dated '65, all nickel fittings). The '67 (dated pots) has the large with the same cavity/cover as NRs, along with the many holes in the cavity shield.

I saw a diagram from Jules site of the various years and cavities during my Google search.  I'm embarrassed to say I never noticed the wider control spacing on the early  EB3s.  I'd prefer the wider spacing also, due to the Andy Fraser/Jack Bruce connection.  Just going to install the bridge 'bucker in the '67 and add a rotary pup selector.  Not planning a refin.

Never realized what a light and graceful design an earlier EBO had. Wonder why Gibson doesn't make a simple oil finish EBO.  With the modern pickup, it would probably sound good and sell.
You won't get an argument from me...although I have no problem with an EBO through a B-15 or properly EQ'd modern amp.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2014, 11:50:47 PM »

No worries. It gave me an excuse to take the ol' beast out for a spin. I had really good results adding a chrome TB+ to my Epi EB-0 and was thinking of doing the same to my '68 Gibby. It's nowhere near mint and has some hard miles on it, but has a great neck.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 08:43:12 AM »
Google image search returned these:

HEY!  How dare you post pics of my Lucy nekkid.  You know it's a crime now to distribute compromising pics of people on the internet without their permission (at least up here).  :P

FYI that's a 65.  Original bridge was a bar with mute (neither of which came to me with the bass - I put a Schaller 460 on it).

« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 08:49:40 AM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)