Author Topic: Swapped my MIA Jazz for a MIM Road Worn  (Read 10008 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Swapped my MIA Jazz for a MIM Road Worn
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2011, 05:06:51 AM »
Needs a refin... ;D
But it would change the sound ;)
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2011, 07:35:53 AM »
Ok so I took this thing to rehearsal last night to run the Zep. show. This bass is a whole different animal compared to the American Standard Jazz. The overall tone is warm and woody with less focus than I am used to in a J which I like. Not the usual "brittle" tone I associate with Jazz basses. The upper register is very lively notes just sing, the G string in particular. I gave the bas a quick set up when I got it and put on a set of old Rotosound RS 66LDs. I ran the neck pup only and was able to get full round tones for Dazed and Confused to a sharper more treble tone for Houses of the Holy. I used my Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster to give the pups more output, all in all the bass performed just as I had hoped.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2011, 03:21:11 PM »
Win-win...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2011, 09:57:12 PM »
I'm glad it performed as you'd hoped, Scott. I'll have to keep an eye out for a RW Jazz or P. I have to confess that I like the beat up look. I know the wear isn't natural but with as much as you play I'm sure you'll add your own character to it fairly soon!  ;)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2011, 05:17:29 AM »
I'm glad it performed as you'd hoped, Scott. I'll have to keep an eye out for a RW Jazz or P. I have to confess that I like the beat up look. I know the wear isn't natural but with as much as you play I'm sure you'll add your own character to it fairly soon!  ;)
  Thanks George, Fenders for me are a bit of a struggle............................I struggle less with this one.

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2011, 05:38:20 PM »
I went into a local shop today and tried out a Jazz RW. Everything you said was spot on. I do understand you might need to use that Seymour Duncan pickup booster in a live situation as I felt the pickups were a little subdued. The store one (and I assume factory)was set up with cheap sounding rounds which probably had something to do with it but would have to get some flats quick on it for my liking. That coral reddish orange finish might take some getting used to but might be interesting as well. GOT did you say you swapped out the neck on you '08 American Standard and put the RW neck on it?

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2011, 03:53:09 AM »
I did put a RW neck on my '08 American Standard. It's gone I parted it out to pay for the RW Jazz.

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2011, 10:05:55 AM »
Weird thing for me is I am coming 'round to Fender again (after loading off quite a few of them over the years). The utter simplicity sometimes is striking. Like any production instrument one has to weed through them to find a contender. In the case of this RW perhaps a simple pup and pot change might rise it above the bedlam.

luve2fli

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2011, 07:24:24 AM »
I just traded my MIJ '62 Reissue Precision for a Sunburst RW Jazz. I gotta say, without gigging the bass yet, this is the best passive Jazz I've ever owned - bar none.
"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2011, 05:32:54 AM »
My sold '99 natural USA Standard Jazz had that hideous hole too.

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2012, 05:57:22 PM »
Well well well. Today I was in a local shop looking at getting a new American Standard Jazz, all set to go because loved everything about it. While in serious consideration I picked up a RW>>>as stated earlier in this thread it just brought me down to earth with that woody tone.(fiesta red not really my cup but maybe I'll look into some flamenco style playing) So had to put my $ where the thing was right then and there. I can get the American Standard (a much more focused sound bot not enough wood)down the road. Funny thing is next to it was one of those Gibson RD Novicivich's (that TBird58 so aptly described as he was babysitting it for Uwe)(or whatever his name is/was) and that was a monster to hold but sheeit what a sound with that huge body, thick neck and those SD bass lines Jazz pups. But would have to shim the thing down in half to hold and play it standing up! GOT: how is your EW holding up after a year now? Still in your frontline? What I might do w/the RW is load it up w/some of the SD Basslines so I won't have to use the pedal.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2012, 04:42:12 AM »
 For a Jazz Bass I really liked the RW but Tbirds are my thing. The band dropped the Zep tribute set so I dropped the Jazz. Still a great  bass at a great price imho.