Author Topic: Project JAEbird  (Read 99682 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Project JAEbird
« Reply #285 on: August 22, 2011, 07:45:38 AM »
 Beautiful! I'll have to try those strings my latest set of RS66LDs don't feel same or sound the same, I have been bumming about that.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #286 on: August 22, 2011, 08:09:43 AM »
The Burners are nickel, the Rock Masters are stainless.  Best price I've found is from Strings and Things, $18, free shipping with $35 order most of the time, I usually wait til their frequent 10% off sale  and buy 3 sets at a time.
...keep that JAEbird dry Scott and yourself safe from collapsing stages!

Spiritbass

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 22, 2011, 08:20:42 PM »
I am getting SO stoked to lay eyes & fingers on this 'bird!!!

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #288 on: August 22, 2011, 08:35:46 PM »
That pickguard looks amazing on that bass!!
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

bassvirtuoso

• My God, it's full of chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 22, 2011, 09:25:52 PM »
I am getting SO stoked to lay eyes & fingers on this 'bird!!!

They are definitely magical, nice bird!
-Dave

German-American Chrome Fan Club Member #666

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #290 on: August 23, 2011, 07:37:50 AM »
The Burners are nickel, the Rock Masters are stainless.  Best price I've found is from Strings and Things, $18, free shipping with $35 order most of the time, I usually wait til their frequent 10% off sale  and buy 3 sets at a time.
...keep that JAEbird dry Scott and yourself safe from collapsing stages!

Rock Masters are actually re-branded GHS Super Steels. Not sure about the Burners, but I wouldn't doubt they are Boomers. I used Super Steels for a LONG time, until I accidentally discovered Dean Markley SR2000s. Fantastic string with ridiculously long life.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 23, 2011, 05:26:27 PM »
Rock Masters are actually re-branded GHS Super Steels. Not sure about the Burners, but I wouldn't doubt they are Boomers. I used Super Steels for a LONG time, until I accidentally discovered Dean Markley SR2000s. Fantastic string with ridiculously long life.

You sure about that? An industry person told me Ken's strings are made to his specs by American Winding, owner of Dean Markley.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 24, 2011, 12:33:25 AM »
Rock Masters are actually re-branded GHS Super Steels. Not sure about the Burners, but I wouldn't doubt they are Boomers.

I don't know about the Rock Masters, but the Burners aren't Boomers. Burners' feel and composition is very different and much more upper midrange focused where Boomers are a little lower and more nasal sounding.

I used Super Steels for a LONG time, until I accidentally discovered Dean Markley SR2000s. Fantastic string with ridiculously long life.

For steel strings, I LOVE SR2000's, but every player I know always assumes "Dean Markley" only means those godawful Blue Steels, aka the 'Dead in Five Minutes' strings. I bought a few sets of SR2000's from Steve Barr in the final days of the Pit and they sound awesome on my Marcus Miller Jazz.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 03:35:04 PM by Psycho Bass Guy »

iamthatguy32

• View Profile
    • Cab 20
« Reply #293 on: August 24, 2011, 12:53:38 AM »
I've tried SR2000's, and for my money, GHS contact core super steels are better. But better is completely subjective. I should say that the contact cores have a barely noticeable high end boost over the SR2000's that's pretty much negligible, but I've had problems with two sets of SR2000's in a row where I get a warbling sound if I don't lower my pickups (and I play with my pickups lowered pretty well,) and I've never had that problem with the contact cores. Nowhere near as bad as the shrill sound you get when you try to use DR Longnecks with a bass that doesn't have a through body stringing design, but it was there.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #294 on: August 24, 2011, 08:14:30 AM »
You sure about that? An industry person told me Ken's strings are made to his specs by American Winding, owner of Dean Markley.

That's what I was told quite a few years ago by my buddy who owns a music store. I believed it based on the gauges. Now that I look at their site, the ones I used to use are now listed as "Custom balanced round wounds - the original Ken Smith bass string", not Rock Masters. Maybe they changed?

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #295 on: August 24, 2011, 08:15:57 AM »
every player I know always assumes "Dean Markley" only means those godawful Blue Steels, aka the 'Dead in Five Minutes' strings.

LOL!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #296 on: August 24, 2011, 09:58:21 AM »
No matter who makes 'em for Ken Smith, sound and price are right for me.  I used GHS Boomers in the early 80s as Roto substitutes so I'm not that difficult to please.  But a recent set did sound to me as PBG describes them.

#0023 is off to John Sheeran in Beantown when set up and properly clothed.  Just wanted to show off the B&B neck.  '66 pup set, Ultralites and Burners.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #297 on: August 24, 2011, 02:53:23 PM »
 Daum , that is style'n.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 24, 2011, 04:25:08 PM »
Nice!
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Spiritbass

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 25, 2011, 06:52:04 AM »
Looks nice naked! Shiney goodness...  8)