Author Topic: Project JAEbird  (Read 99717 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: Project JAEbird
« Reply #270 on: June 24, 2011, 01:05:19 PM »
Thanks, George, I'll check it out.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #271 on: June 28, 2011, 10:04:54 AM »
# 0018 goes out today to Seattle.  Party Time!

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 28, 2011, 12:48:44 PM »
Party time....where are the dancing girls??

I know where the white is going.  the other coast :thumbsup:

like the 2 knob look on the jbass...  Gold is growing on me.  but reminds me of the Mary Kaye pbass.  Never liked the anodized pickguard with the chrome

that reminds me   - i never put the Novak pup into my MK  clone.  need to do that to get some review on his overwound pbass pup.
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #273 on: June 28, 2011, 01:54:38 PM »
Party time....where are the dancing girls??

I know where the white is going.  the other coast :thumbsup:

like the 2 knob look on the jbass...  Gold is growing on me.  but reminds me of the Mary Kaye pbass.  Never liked the anodized pickguard with the chrome

that reminds me   - i never put the Novak pup into my MK  clone.  need to do that to get some review on his overwound pbass pup.

Yeah, that's what I'd like to know.

The stack knob setup works great on my '61 clone, completely independent tone and volume for each pup using a pair of 200 Ohm resistors.  Cuts each pup output slightly but no problem with the 'Buckers.  I think I'd do the next one with a rear control cavity or relocate the front one.  It doesn't make much visual sense without a pick guard attached to it.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #274 on: June 28, 2011, 02:47:16 PM »
I think I'd do the next one with a rear control cavity or relocate the front one.  It doesn't make much visual sense without a pick guard attached to it.

I think it would look cool to orient it vertically like the ones on the old Telebass models - a bit of visual heritage...and quite different for a J.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #275 on: June 28, 2011, 03:12:59 PM »
I think it would look cool to orient it vertically like the ones on the old Telebass models - a bit of visual heritage...and quite different for a J.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.  Doing a rear control cavity and 3 in line close to TBird positioning would reference the pup origins.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 29, 2011, 07:39:00 AM »
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.  Doing a rear control cavity and 3 in line close to TBird positioning would reference the pup origins.
:thumbsup:
JIM

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #277 on: July 23, 2011, 05:32:29 AM »
Latest run of 5 JAEbirds.  Primer coats done yesterday with temp on way to 100, 108 with heat index.  No blush and Flash off additives make spraying possible.  A/C in shop takes enough humidity out but requires thorough cleaning of A/C filters and condenser fins daily since no spray booth.  Color coats and clear shoot today.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 23, 2011, 01:28:18 PM »
Nice to see the Curlee sneaking into the shot... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 24, 2011, 07:07:58 AM »
Nice to see the Curlee sneaking into the shot... ;)

It's like a little 4-eyed puppet!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

bassvirtuoso

• My God, it's full of chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 30, 2011, 03:31:58 PM »
Finally got to play mine out today in an audition, was impressed with new strings on it. A review will be coming soon...
-Dave

German-American Chrome Fan Club Member #666

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 08, 2011, 08:55:15 AM »
Between  work, vacations, family issues,  house projects I have been very lax in getting some pics comments up on LBO.  Sorry Carlo...

first some pics...

a pretty pair of Jaebirds,  aren't they

my LBO GAS results thanks to Carlo and Rob

I need to get my 76 back from storage unit when the basement project is finished so i can get  a flock shot and complete the reviews...

Notice the pickup tarnish and the jaebirds versus the bachbird/lull.  Clearly the jaebirds have seen much more action and a few outdoor shows in the humidity.  The northeast hads been brutal thisa summer.    Now they look like they are properly aged somehow???

now for you boutique bass haters - LOOK AWAY.

reminded me of an original series Star Trek episode

Fodera Yin Yang standard - my first bolt on Fodera.  Alder body under the maple.  very crisp sounding,  incredibly clean,  incredible action and no fret noise somehow... Just traded in my original 84 Fodera 6 string towards this one.  

Got to run to a meeting so I will sign on later for comments/reviews of the new bass and my very inprecise aftermarket tbird pups review.  

Good to be back at work -  did i just say that???

JIM

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 08, 2011, 01:25:39 PM »
Here is my take on the pickups.

Firstly let me say this is not a real  test as the conditions are suspect  to say the least as described below.  

Test was done on my NAD ampeg B15T.  a very underpowered (no way it is true 100 watts)  and not one of ampeg shinning moments.  But a ok little rig to keep near my workbench.  secondly volume played was not very loud as whole family was around but i moved out of workbench area to avoid other things adding sound...  

More importantly the basses are all a little different in various ways.

Jaebird one is poplar body (i believe)  maple neck,  rotosounds with about 8-10 gigs on them several outside in the humidity,  63 thunderbuckers,  neck pup slightly moved toward the neck..

Bachbird - Mahog body ????  or mystery meat with a mahog veneer,  mahog and rosewood neck,  set neck not bolt on , Labella Hard Rockin string ) IMHO the best ROCK strings made - great piano like tones ,  also have them on my 76 bicentenial.  Strings are probably 8 months or older but have never been played since installed.  Mike Lull pickup...

Jaebird Too...  - Mahog body with maple neck,  D'Addario RW strings,  couple of gigs on them including outside..,  66 thunderbuckers.

here is my take on the pups.  test was done with all neck pups only at first.  Only finger style, no pick

63 thunderbuckers -  Readings 7.62 N & 7.88 Bridge,  blended 3.96.  Best deep bassy tones (could be placement as well as the strings)  little weaker on the treble side (strings for sure)  and scooped nicely in the middle.  fast tarnish - shiney but yellowed - very different from my 76 pups dull tarnishing..  Bridge pup fixed the treble side when turned on. Great sound when playing with fingers up by the neck...   As usual i differ from most of you "gibson" guys  - So far these are my favorite of the 3.....

Lull -  7.97 reading very solid lows and best treble side (strings help alot...)  nice scooped middle,  Very clear sounding ,  more of a modern tone to me. Very similar to the 63 thunderbuckers but a little louder.  Also a little clearer which i would say is the strings versus the rotos.    still shiney like brand new..

66 Thunderbuckers.  8.33 N and 8.72 bridge,  4.31 blended.   Very mid range driven sound (IIRC overwound pups tend to be that way)  weakest on the treble side.  more bass and mids.  IN YOUR FACE.... may have to break out the heavy stuff to get a true tubey thickness sans the "gain" control issue.    starting to tarnish

Provisos
Clearly this is a flawed test and so i will change out the D'addarios very soon and rotos too and try again.  Fingers only so none of this holds true to you picksters....Test done right after spending some time fooling with my new fodera so i had on my R&B and jazz ears.......Also this was thru a small SS head without any change to the gain and volume between basses so i was not getting the best out of each just a neutral position.  I have an outdoor classic rock (how i hate those words...)   show this weekend on a pier so humidity may be a real factor. Weather permitting i will do a better taste test with a least a hybrid head (hartke or eden) and real volume and get some tubey grind.  thinking about a 2 Ev15 cab plus?????

Jim
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 01:31:17 PM by jumbodbassman »
JIM

Spiritbass

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 09, 2011, 07:16:05 AM »
Thanks for the comparison! SRO's in your 2-15 cab? I used to have an old Kustom (tolexed, not roll & pleat) with a pair of the SRO's that really rocked.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #284 on: August 22, 2011, 06:44:18 AM »
Great shots of your brace of JAEbirds, Jim.  Look forward to hearing a same string shootout on the various pups and wood combos especially compared to your Lull equipped BaCH.

#0022 goes to Ken today(Spiritbass).  I'm really digging the pearl guard and black screws, both were his idea.

66 ThunderBucker set and Ken Smith nickel Burners.  They sound more like vintage Rotosound Swing Bass than current Rotos do IMO.  Not to mention the period correct red silk on the headstock end of the string.

Matching control cavity cover and neckplate mounted strap button

Resolites, bass weighs 9 lbs even and balances perfectly.