Author Topic: Project JAEbird  (Read 99717 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Project JAEbird
« Reply #180 on: December 19, 2010, 02:45:44 PM »
i think 495. is too cheap. your custom bass should cost at least as much as the fender standard at 549. my 2 cents.

all you potential buyers can now throw something at your screens.

I agree 100%!  You should charge more, at least for folks outside this wonderful forum!   ;)
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #181 on: December 19, 2010, 03:38:34 PM »
i think 495. is too cheap. your custom bass should cost at least as much as the fender standard at 549. my 2 cents.

all you potential buyers can now throw something at your screens.

I agree 100%!  You should charge more, at least for folks outside this wonderful forum!   ;)

Thanks for the compliments!  If I could buy basses like these for $495 I wouldn't be making them myself.  As demand increases the price will go up but at this point I'd rather build basses and a reputation than just wait for a sale at a higher price.

I'll always give special consideration to forum members.  I'm positive I wouldn't be building if not for the inspiration and encouragement of you guys!

vates

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 19, 2010, 11:40:47 PM »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 20, 2010, 05:55:01 AM »
Thanks for the compliments!  If I could buy basses like these for $495 I wouldn't be making them myself.  As demand increases the price will go up but at this point I'd rather build basses and a reputation than just wait for a sale at a higher price.

I'll always give special consideration to forum members.  I'm positive I wouldn't be building if not for the inspiration and encouragement of you guys!

Sounds like a good strategy.  I might have to do the same when I launch my own effort.  It'll be interesting to see how it goes for you.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #184 on: December 20, 2010, 08:36:16 AM »
I must have a Fenderbird ! I just watched Curt Traynors Live The Who again.........................Pino step aside is all I gotta say. PM sent :)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 08:57:17 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 20, 2010, 10:26:26 AM »
I must have a Fenderbird ! I just watched Curt Traynors Live The Who again.........................Pino step aside is all I gotta say. PM sent :)

They really do kick ass! Maybe Curt ought to audition for The Who.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 21, 2010, 04:06:43 PM »
Nope - Curt should stick with what he's doing - the real thing is just a pale imitation by comparison... 8)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 21, 2010, 11:06:18 PM »
the Bird has landed.  Got home pretty late so pics and more details later once i get to crank it up....

Initial feelings
Nice light bass.  As all tbirds  - a neck diver but manageable.   IMHO this bass was made for finger playing,  at least were i wear it.  I tend to keep my basses high and this one forms a great forearm rest just  like JAE which will make you play near the neck....
Neck is a very nice fender copy. straightest neck i have ever owned other than my foderas/smiths.  I actually put a 1/4 turn relief in as it was too straight and action too low for me.  I am not a big fan of fret noise except when i want it and like to use my fingers/feel to get some dynamics and funky click. 1/4 turn  did the trick for me and action is still amazingly low.   
Finish - really great job Carlo. Black is not easy in any form.  This finish is not that of a 500 instrument....
neck finish-  flawless...

Bridge.  I actually have used this bridge on another bass and i thought it was a fluke.  Tallest saddle at  lowest setting is the d string.  Playing fenders my whole life it usually is the a string.  East fix with my file set.  Actually bridge radius may be more than the neck so i wound up filing A and D string a little bit.

After spending only 15 minutes fiddling with it the action and neck is in my top 10 ( maybe top 5)  basses and i have over 100 so that is pretty amazing to me after 1 hour. 

Tomorrow hopefully i will crank it up.  First feeling is i may have made a mistake using the barts. they appear very weak.  actually under 4 close to 3  output when both on (3.8 and 5.7 respectively neck, bridge) .  easy enough to replace if i decide so.   Maybe Carlo's guy will come thru on the 64 pups....

overall this is a very nice bass.   REALLY COMFORTABLE TO PLAY.  My first fender bird but I now understand what JAE was thinking.  Neck is so much better than my  76 and bachbird.  Long bass but manageable but clearly different from a fender....

Carlo you really should charge more except for LBO folk :mrgreen:  First lets talk about a white one (with gold hardware if possible) before you raise your prices

Carlo things to consider  - option for cutout of lower horn.  i need to put whole hand around to front of neck to get past the 14 fret.  seems worst then the tbirds because the body is more like a fender in depth and bolt on.

Another thought   - IMHO a 32" neck might make the fenderbird a perfect instrument.  you could probably get 21 or 22 frets and still have the nut sit in about an inch closer.  90% of my basses are 34 (handfull are 35, 1 36") so i am not a medium scale guy but with this body style maybe the way to go....

obviouoly  these are my very first and late at night impressions/thoughts so take it easy on me boys...

Jim
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #188 on: December 22, 2010, 12:45:20 PM »
Thanks for the review, Jim!

It appears you are right, just from the components this is not a $500 bass...

I just got off the phone with Seymour Duncan about an hour ago and they will not sell me pups at OEM prices for a bass that retails for less than $800.  Minimum order 24 pups.

Because of that I'm introducing the JAEbird CUSTOM at $825.  It has a honduras mahogany body, The SD SS4 pups, period correct Gotoh CBS style tuners, a bone nut and Ken Smith Rockmasters or equivalent strings.  No upcharge for Ebony (black) finish.  For more info please check cataldobasses.com

The inhouse 'Standard' orders will come with the Duncans.  Future Standards will be equipped with Artec passive soapbars with aluminum covers and rings, visually they will appear the same.  The Standard price remains $495 delivered.  I'll be happy to install your pickups in a Standard.

Here's part of their OEM 'agreement'

Other Terms and Conditions
We strongly desire that Seymour Duncan and Basslines pickups be used on instruments with list prices equal to or greater than US$800. Antiquity and Duncan Performer pickups are not available through the OEM program. Currently, we are not accepting new customers for the Duncan Designed program. If you have a question about something that’s not covered on this form, please don’t hesitate to ask. The terms contained in this sheet are subject to change.

I apologize for this.  I had based my selling price on the assumption that I would be getting the Duncans at OEM prices.  An SS4 set retails for around $120 minimum with shipping, far too expensive for a $500 bass.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 01:14:44 PM by dadagoboi »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #189 on: January 12, 2011, 02:41:39 PM »
  I took the plunge ! Very excited I can't wait for my black and maple JAE!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #190 on: January 12, 2011, 02:52:29 PM »
Thanks Scott,

Just got your deposit, it's already spent on a new drill press.  Machine gas is worse than bass gas.

Very much looking forward to the build.  I remember seeing one of your posts on TB a long time ago with a photo of all your Tbirds, capturing it and titling it "Many Birds".  Glad to add one more to the flock. 

BigRedX

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 05, 2011, 08:32:32 AM »
Found this thread via TalkBass.

Firstly awesome work. These are the nicest looking T-Birds I've seen for a long time, and great to see all the work you put in to arrive at the current version.

So I have a question: I would really like to order one of these, but at the moment pretty much everything I do requires a 5-string bass. So what I would like to know is if you would be able to make a 5-string version? I realise that it's going involve sourcing a suitable neck and a new body routing template which of course will be reflected in the cost. Anyway if this is something you are interested in building, I am 100% interested in buying!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #192 on: May 05, 2011, 08:47:08 AM »
Welcome to LBO, BigRedX, thanks for the compliments!  I've had enough interest in the last few days to seriously consider doing a fiver.  I've given another TBer a quote.  If you'd like to discuss further, email me at:
jaebird@cataldobasses.com

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 05, 2011, 04:28:18 PM »
(Bridge research beckons... ;D)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #194 on: May 05, 2011, 05:00:35 PM »
(Bridge research beckons... ;D)

I was concerned about that but the bridge I'm modding is available as a Fiver.  Allparts makes a nice 3/2 headstock neck with rosewood board.  I have one around somewhere.