Author Topic: Project JAEbird  (Read 99717 times)

birdie

• Trying hard to be the person my dog thinks I am.
    • View Profile
Re: Project JAEbird
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2010, 09:11:29 AM »
Hey Dada.Go boy! haha! I really like that thing, and the price point is making me crazy..
Here are some pics of mine. Obviously needs a "proper" tailpiece. If you get there first, will try one of yours. A lighter p/guard will come soon enough

BTW can you tell me about that Onsrud? How much, could I get it in the basement, weight, good sources etc. Every time I see a picture of it, my legs get tingly!! Thanks!

Sorry for the shameless hijack of this thread :-[
Fleet Guitars

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2010, 09:53:58 AM »
Looks so playable.     we want to here it..... :mrgreen:

My analog brain is being pushed to the limit in this digital world...not to mention my crappy playing.   Much easier to make sawdust and sniff lacquer fumes. ;D

I'll give it a shot in a few days.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2010, 10:01:17 AM »
Hey Dada.Go boy! haha! I really like that thing, and the price point is making me crazy..
Here are some pics of mine. Obviously needs a "proper" tailpiece. If you get there first, will try one of yours. A lighter p/guard will come soon enough
BTW can you tell me about that Onsrud? How much, could I get it in the basement, weight, good sources etc. Every time I see a picture of it, my legs get tingly!! Thanks!

The price is based on getting some discounts from vendors.  When you take building a neck out of the equation it cuts down the amount of labor significantly.

Cool bass, I dig LH necks.  Are those RI pups or just the covers?

I can hook you up with a tailpiece for $25 delivered.  With bridge $45.  PM me if/when you're interested.  Unfinished JAEbird body blanks and whatever parts you want for it will also be available.

My Onsrud weighs about 200 lbs and will fit thru a 25" opening with the table removed.  I got mine for $700 BIN on Ebay, drove to NC and picked it up. I suggest googling Onsrud router, see what comes up.  I really like the safety factor of the router being completely covered by the template.

birdie

• Trying hard to be the person my dog thinks I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2010, 11:17:30 AM »
 Yes, that neck is sweet, and got it w/ good tuners already installed.The pups are modern black Gibson soapbars w/ Greatdealz covers. The bass sounds and plays great, although heavy. Toying w/ chambering from the back and laminating maybe, if I don't end up needing to sell first.
 25 bucks is good.Send me one and pm me your preferred payment etc.
 Thanks for the Onsrud info. The ones I have found are BIG&heavy!! Yours seems much more manageable. What model is it? Thanks again
Fleet Guitars

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2010, 02:09:06 PM »
Kudos on the JAEbird - it really came out great.  Thanks for sharing all the cool build pics, that waterslide source, and details about that router!  I would love something like that for my projects- you've got me prowling craigslist now too...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2010, 02:42:58 PM »
Kudos on the JAEbird - it really came out great.  Thanks for sharing all the cool build pics, that waterslide source, and details about that router!  I would love something like that for my projects- you've got me prowling craigslist now too...

Thanks.  Glad to share.  Good luck on CL, I saw some other possibilities on Ebay when I bought mine, some really cheap but with very high freight charges.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2010, 07:07:32 PM »
Any market plans, got a web site up?  I'm very curious as to how this works out for you.  I'm working over all kinds of things for a retirement business - I'm looking at 11 or 12 years - I hope!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2010, 08:45:08 AM »
Any market plans, got a web site up?  I'm very curious as to how this works out for you.  I'm working over all kinds of things for a retirement business - I'm looking at 11 or 12 years - I hope!

I'm going to build at least one extra bass for each one I get an order for and Ebay them to get an idea what the market might be.  I don't know much about the costs vs effectiveness of websites but may do that eventually.

I definitely cannot imagine who would be buying basses in 10 years and what they'd be buying.  The demographic for what I like is shrinking...I don't think I'd be wanting to build 7 string burled crapwood single cut praise basses.  I have a marketing agent who always asks,"Who's your customer?" before a piece of furniture I design goes very far into the development stage.  It's a great question to determine what might sell and if you want to do it.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2010, 09:04:53 AM »
Looks great!  I agree, how does it sound?
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2010, 10:31:02 AM »
Looks great!  I agree, how does it sound?

Thanks!  Sounds pretty good to me but I'll post some clips in a few days and you can make your own judgment.  I will say it sounds much closer to a BaCH with an original Reverse Pup in than it does to a BaCH with an Artec.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2010, 10:41:56 AM »
I'm going to build at least one extra bass for each one I get an order for and Ebay them to get an idea what the market might be.  I don't know much about the costs vs effectiveness of websites but may do that eventually.

If you don't want the expense of deploying a full blown shopping cart site, an easy option is add Paypal buttons to your own site for a pseudo-shopping cart type thing.  In Paypal, there's a section titled "create buttons" under merchant services that will generate the code, and you just copy/paste it to your site.  You can go in and setup all your shipping rules/costs so folks can just click and buy.  Google Payments offers something similar too, IIRC.

Once you test the waters and gain more exposure with these basses on Ebay,  you could set your pricing consistent on your own site and include a link to it in your auctions.  Have to phrase in the auction like:  "For additional info on this product, visit the manufacturer's website at ....", otherwise if you overtly point people there for purchasing Ebay sends the goons after you.

The more you can deal direct and just leverage Ebay for the cheap advertising, the better.  In other words, throw one bass on Ebay and sell another ten from the direct traffic to your site.  Hang onto them final value fees!  ;D

I've had good luck with Bluehost for affordable web hosting.  They offer a bunch of free scripts to deploy content management systems (CMS) that make building the site a relatively painless chore (sometimes... depends), and those really help with updating the site as you add new products, photos, links, audio clips...  The CMS tools provide their own admin interface to your site, so you don't have to be mucking around with code all the time.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2010, 11:21:43 AM »
The more you can deal direct and just leverage Ebay for the cheap advertising, the better.  In other words, throw one bass on Ebay and sell another ten from the direct traffic to your site.  Hang onto them final value fees!

Definitely! I'd been thinking along those lines, there's a guy near here named Tom Clement who does that with Ebay. He has a pretty good website that points you back to Ebay but I'm pretty sure he's taking outside orders.  I will check out Bluehost, simple is what I need.  Thanks for the guidance!

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2010, 06:50:19 PM »
That's what I was thinking - a simple, clean web site with nice images and descriptions.  I wouldn't think you would build twenty of these at a time and carry a large stock.  Still at your price point I think you will have some very decent traffic regardless as to how you sell them.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2010, 12:50:54 PM »
some progress pictures
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2010, 01:23:06 PM »