Author Topic: Project JAEbird  (Read 99700 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: Project JAEbird
« Reply #420 on: June 22, 2012, 02:38:57 PM »
Beautiful finish. If it were mine, I'd leave the pickguard off.

Thanks, Dave.  I'm glad I did pictures before I drilled holes for the pickguard.  I like the look too.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #421 on: June 22, 2012, 05:45:29 PM »
Beautiful finish. If it were mine, I'd leave the pickguard off.

Same here. I think it looks great without the guard.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: June 23, 2012, 08:00:33 AM »
if this is the last of the series 2 bridges, what have you got going for the next series? or did i read that statement wrong?
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #423 on: June 23, 2012, 08:37:07 AM »
Series 3 TP is a 1 piece nickel silver channel instead of NS angle over an aluminum channel.  Still has brass reinforcing tubes.  It means Steve gets to do all the work, except polishing.  Pretty sure he'll be offering bridge/tailpiece combos for sale as well as TBird hand rest and bridge covers.

That's the basic deal, I design/consult on stuff I want and convince Steve to engineer and build it.  He gets to market it and I get to buy it a little cheaper than anyone else.  So far it's worked out well.

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: June 23, 2012, 10:30:36 AM »
Sounds like a plan Carlo. I look forward to seeing what you have in mind come forward.

I apologize for dropping the ball with Steve on those hand rests and please tell him so but I am ecstatic that you and he picked up on making them. I look forward to getting one or two of them myself. I seemed to get behind over Christmas and just when I thought I could move on them the fall happened.

I am glad to tell you that the leg is healed and I am slowly getting back to 100%. The MRSA and the gangrene floating around in my bloodstream still have me knocked down a little but every day is better. I know you ask about every time we talk on the phone and I thank you.

The blue JAE looks fine but that green 5 string thingy is just tits as far as I am concerned.  ;) ;)
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #425 on: June 23, 2012, 11:12:41 AM »
I came up with a cockeyed idea that the bends could be done using a sheet metal brake (Steve's fault, he bought a new one and said he had to find some things to use it for).  He's pretty much figured out how to do it.  So no problem.

Glad to hear you're on the road to recovery.  The new plates look great!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #426 on: July 13, 2012, 04:43:53 AM »
#0036 with ThunderBucker MAX pups, they are LOUD with more emphasis on the bottom end than '66s.

Bridge pickup ring spacer, soon to be available from ThunderBucker Ranch.

Customer saw the decal Jim put on his JAEbird and asked for similar.

Series III tailpiece...with dust.  New bridge carrier channel and adjustable string spacing saddles are the next upgrade.  Pup ring spacer visible.

Rain has been beneficial to the vegetation, not to mention the bugs!

I really like the B&B neck on this one and the sound of the MAX pickups.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 13, 2012, 05:05:30 AM »
Great work, Carlo - ignore the idiot at Talk Bass who ordered something he didn't even understand.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #428 on: July 13, 2012, 05:51:55 AM »
Great work, Carlo - ignore the idiot at Talk Bass who ordered something he didn't even understand.

Thanks, I've had a lot of correspondence with the guy over the last 15 months, he's OK.  It just got to the point where I knew nothing would satisfy him, even a total refin.  He also wanted a set of ThunderBuckers as replacement for the SDs because he got a cut from one of the covers...and he wanted them for free.  Most of the response on TB has been civil.  As they say, any publicity is good publicity.  I'm a lot less thin skinned than the last time.  No matter what I'll continue to do what I want to do.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #429 on: July 13, 2012, 06:10:35 AM »
  I can't believe that guy dredged this up again. Your right he will never be satisfied. I surprised he isn't suing you for cutting himself on the topper.  :rolleyes:
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #430 on: July 13, 2012, 06:40:58 AM »
Different guy.  JK checked in but he was very civil.  I shouldn't have brought him into the latest thread. 

OTOH, I'll be 66 next month...you can ALL get off my lawn ;D

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 13, 2012, 07:52:55 AM »
Just checked out the first page of that thread. Wow.

I can't remember any nitro finished instrument I've owned coming with instructions to avoid foam on guitar stands. In any case, Carlo is not responsible for nitro acting like nitro.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 13, 2012, 08:02:24 AM »
Series III tailpiece...with dust.  New bridge carrier channel and adjustable string spacing saddles are the next upgrade.  Pup ring spacer visible.

Tailpiece looks very nicely made, is it made from a rolled sheet of brass with "risers" for the screws?
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #433 on: July 13, 2012, 08:17:42 AM »
Tailpiece looks very nicely made, is it made from a rolled sheet of brass with "risers" for the screws?

Thanks, the tailpiece is made from .040 sheet Nickel Silver (about the same thickness as a vintage Fender bent metal bridge plate) by Steve.  The compression 'risers' are 1/4" brass tubing.  The new bridge channel will be made from the same NS.  The one shown is aluminum.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 13, 2012, 08:22:12 AM »
Looks very nice, "airy" but sturdy at the same time.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.