Author Topic: Cataldo NR at rehersal  (Read 1847 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Cataldo NR at rehersal
« on: December 04, 2012, 12:50:25 PM »
  Last night I took the G.O.T. NR to rehearsal. Normally when I take a new bass I bring along a tried and true NR just in case I don't get along with the new bass. I felt confident enough in The Cataldo NR that it was the only bass I brought. The bass did not disappoint. First it hangs and feels like a 60's NR. One of the big reasons for this is the thin 1 1/4" body, no way are you going to mistake this for a %ender.  Plugged in the bass has THE tone, the Thunderbucker Max really makes this bass shine. Full authoritative vintage Thunderbird tone, through my Ampeg B25B it really sounded great full, cutting  zippy midrangy tone. It cuts through a bit more than a 60's bird and I attribute that to the maple/ebony neck. The bass plays and feels great I did some mild tweaking when it arrived, the action is super low and Carlo's bridge is a very ingenious piece of work. I played the bass for about three hours straight and not once did I find myself wishing I had brought something else along. Gig this weekend and the bass goes right into rotation. Very pleased with the G.O.T. signature bass.  :thumbsup:
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Cataldo NR at rehersal
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 04:53:20 PM »
Awesome! Sounds like a winner all around.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 09:02:56 AM »
You're gonna know pretty quickly if something is "right" for you. Sounds like a winner!

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 09:53:51 AM »
GoT, you involved in this company somehow (other than supplying Badbird bridges?).

Looking good (though personally...... nevermind, I ain't spending any money any time soon, but if I did I'd want one for The Studio). 
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 11:01:09 AM »
  No I am not involved in the company, just a Thunderbird nut and customer turned endorser.
GoT, you involved in this company somehow (other than supplying Badbird bridges?).

Looking good (though personally...... nevermind, I ain't spending any money any time soon, but if I did I'd want one for The Studio). 
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 01:08:49 PM »
 I'd like to expound a bit to GGs question. About 3-4 years ago I was going to build Fenderbirds, started one prototype still not done and also my own version of the NR, shown here I got bogged down and in the meantime Carlo filled the void. When Carlo started building I offered all the info I could, I could tell very quickly he knew what he was doing, not that I am a expert but over the years i have built a fair number of basses on the Fenderbird concept.. I ordered one of his JAEbirds early on because I knew it would be a while till I finish mine (still sitting on my bench). I was more than pleased with the JAEbird so I ordered a NR to my specs and again I am super pleased with the bass. I beat the drum rather loudly on tb because some people on tb (I am being nice here they were dicks) didn't really understand the bass building process. Before the delivery of the NR Carlo asked if I would be a endorser, I was more than flattered.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 07:46:58 AM by godofthunder »

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 02:01:32 PM »

:thumbsup:
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 02:36:36 PM »
Video'll be along soon enough...

:popcorn:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 07:19:40 AM »
Just what I expected from Carlo, a bit hit!  Glad you're happy Scott!  I'm just glad Carlo isn't into building 4005 clones, as I do intend to start that up in the spring!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 09:41:43 AM »

OMG WHAT ARE YOU DOING UP THERE PLAYING THOSE HIGH FRETS SHOULD BE FORBIDDEN

:P :P :P

Just joking, great pic as always! And that (other) GOTbird is super!
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 07:57:23 PM »
   Thats why I play a nr in the first place!