Author Topic: What's Up With These 'Mudbucker-like' Pickups?  (Read 11209 times)

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
Re: What's Up With These 'Mudbucker-like' Pickups?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2008, 08:11:13 PM »
now that's interesting to know about the blades. i picked up four wound blade bobbins last year on a whim because they were so cheap at the time.

God must smile on idiots like me
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2008, 11:18:49 PM »
from the sound clips on jule's site it sounds pretty close and it is more than we had available a year ago in repopped mudbucker pups!

from what i've been able to glean it looks like it has a bit wider string spacing than a mudbucker (1.093" eyeballing the tape) and these are listed as 2 1/16" or 2.0625 (believing the seller's eyeballing). thats close to a DS2 Dark Star spacing.

those chrome thingy's look kind of narrow though with their 43 and 45 mm spacing. it would be interesting to hear some sound clips from them.

whats the spacing on an LP basses pups?

I measured my Artec and it's about 17.5 mm string to string spacing compared to a Mudbucker about 16 mm.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2008, 11:42:48 PM »
17.5 mm X 3 = 2.06 inches thats cool!

i unceremoniously typed 1.093" instead of 1.93" for the mudbucker measurement earlier (again eyeballing the tape)

I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Johnny Crab

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2008, 04:18:09 PM »
I got four Aztec's(two mudbucker type and two of the ones that look like Brice T-Bird pickups with chrome plating) but haven't had time to install any yet. They do toss out some lows as I hooked test leads to each one(hooked to an amp) and held it over the 20th fret area of a working bass.

I KNOW this is the Gibson area....but.....it is CHROME !! !! !!
Here's the first mudbucker project(checking pole spacing) which copies what I did to a 1960's P-bass in the early 1970's:

If you are truly interested in the truth, start by turning off the television.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2008, 04:21:29 PM »
 That is a cool mod ! Is that bass a SX ? And if it is did I sell it to you ?
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2008, 06:31:36 PM »
Sure looks like the Artec polepieces are set up for Fender spacing. But do they work on a Gibson without noticeable dropoff from the misalignment? If they do, then there's no problem.

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2008, 01:16:34 AM »
arrrgh thats so wrong, it should be gibson spacing!you could always do what i did with my allparts mudbucker type pickup and remove the  polepiece bolts and put a square section metal bar on top of the existing drilled one.instant blade pickup.i liked what it did to my one.however the holes in the chrome cover would still be off...
Louder bass!.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2008, 10:21:42 AM »
arrrgh thats so wrong, it should be gibson spacing!you could always do what i did with my allparts mudbucker type pickup and remove the  polepiece bolts and put a square section metal bar on top of the existing drilled one.instant blade pickup.i liked what it did to my one.however the holes in the chrome cover would still be off...

As Fonzy might have said: Bingoamundo!!

Holes might look cool ifffin ya milled them open to show the bar? Appearances are almost everything and it would give the Photon Torpedo's a wider aligned spread on a narrower string spacing!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2008, 03:51:06 PM »
As Fonzy might have said: Bingoamundo!!

Holes might look cool ifffin ya milled them open to show the bar? Appearances are almost everything and it would give the Photon Torpedo's a wider aligned spread on a narrower string spacing!

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but on the Artec mudbucker copy (as on the original) the center bar that holds the polepiece screws is not a magnet. Opening up the cover to expose it wouldn't change the magnetic field.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2008, 09:14:49 PM »
i was thinking bout putting a bar pup under a bucker cover and milling the holes into a slot to show the bar. one could mount it in epoxy (yuck) or maybe some windshield/electrical silicon (ackempucky) so as not to show any additional screws.

maybe a body mount with the bucker cover and a trim ring covering the whole deal.