Author Topic: A case for each Gibson bass?  (Read 1714 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
A case for each Gibson bass?
« on: November 21, 2020, 01:38:41 AM »
https://www.notreble.com/buzz/2020/11/20/calton-cases-and-gibson-collaborate-for-signature-series-guitar-cases/

The premium cases can be ordered for models as common as the EB-O to as rare as the 20/20 or the Leland Sklar Signature model.

I wonder how many people are going to order a case for their Leland Sklar Signature bass...  :popcorn:

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: A case for each Gibson bass?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 07:06:32 AM »
OK but the cases themselves cost as much or more then most of the bass models.  Don't see a huge amount of sales there.

Sweet cases though.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 07:30:06 AM »
It’s cool to have an option to buy a nice case for your vintage bass, but as Granny said most of these basses cost less than the case. I paid just shy of $1,300 for my Ferrari Red 20/20 & many thought I lost it! (especially my wife!). To this day I’ve never seen another in great shape that I could have bought for any price. That being said, a modified $100 Chinese case is the most luxury those (2) basses will ever rest in.........

As a second thought, I’ve seen cases for vintage basses such as EB-2 posted for more than that. I don’t recall them selling though.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 07:35:22 AM by Grog »
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 08:39:03 PM »
Prices starting at $1,300.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 11:51:26 PM »
There's a sucker born every minute.

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 06:34:24 AM »
I just have one Gibson bass , the recent DC Jr , and a couple of Epis . The bag that came with the Jr is enormous . I have a hate for rectangular Fender style cases , (carrying those misery sacks around for too many years) so I was quite happy to discover the Jr fit in a hardshell Les Paul style guitar case . For some reason I like those violin style cases . Win !
I have an enormous rectangular case for an Epi V . Even more misery than the Fender cases , the V sorta fits in the Gibson bag that came with the Jr . About one inch of pointy headstock pokes out the end . Close enough . It's a rare night to drag the V out the door .
I'm just a working , blue collar musician . I load the stuff in a car , set it up in the bar , and drag it all home when it's done . So I normally use heavy duty , well padded gig bags . Although I did find a nice leather one a while ago . It's really a guitar bag , but my Longhorn fits perfectly . Yes , the bag is worth more than the Dano .

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 08:58:38 AM »
Just the one Gibbie case, and that came with my RD... the Jazz went in with a minor mod to the neck rest so it's multi-purpose...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 10:53:26 AM »
I got the hard case with my '64 EB-0.  Had to glue the back to the rest of the case for it to hold together.  Definitely has seen its share of scenery, and the stickers are a bonus. It's a small case anyway, but I make sure to have a hard case that fits every bass I own. I hate to take them out of the house in anything but a hard case.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2020, 12:12:03 PM »
I just have one Gibson bass , the recent DC Jr , and a couple of Epis . The bag that came with the Jr is enormous . I have a hate for rectangular Fender style cases , (carrying those misery sacks around for too many years) so I was quite happy to discover the Jr fit in a hardshell Les Paul style guitar case . For some reason I like those violin style cases . Win !
I have an enormous rectangular case for an Epi V . Even more misery than the Fender cases , the V sorta fits in the Gibson bag that came with the Jr . About one inch of pointy headstock pokes out the end . Close enough . It's a rare night to drag the V out the door .
I'm just a working , blue collar musician . I load the stuff in a car , set it up in the bar , and drag it all home when it's done . So I normally use heavy duty , well padded gig bags . Although I did find a nice leather one a while ago . It's really a guitar bag , but my Longhorn fits perfectly . Yes , the bag is worth more than the Dano .

Well, some Danos, including the Longhorn, can be a little hard to find at the moment.  So I'm not sure if the bag is worth more than the bass or not. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2020, 12:16:58 AM »
That's one expensive case!

All I need is my dual Mono guitar bag, fits two EB3's easy and that's all I need :)

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2020, 08:05:44 AM »
I got the hard case with my '64 EB-0.  Had to glue the back to the rest of the case for it to hold together.  Definitely has seen its share of scenery, and the stickers are a bonus. It's a small case anyway, but I make sure to have a hard case that fits every bass I own. I hate to take them out of the house in anything but a hard case.

+1. I've never felt comfortable with gig bags or the soft cardboard cases some vintage Gibsons use to come in.

I also have a fetish for Schaller Strap Locks. After years off being ready at all times to catch my EB-2 if the strap came off, the strap locks gave me piece of mind. They are on every guitar I own with the exception of the acoustics.
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2020, 07:13:03 PM »
I'll bet @gearHed289 can build you a flight case for a lot less than that.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2020, 08:19:16 AM »
I thought about chiming in... But yeah, we make some of the best cases money can buy (believe me, 24 years in the biz, and we've repaired a variety of other brands), and even from us, you're "only" looking at $750. Yes, they're rectangular. No, they're not light. But we can use 1/4'' polypropylene panels which shaves about 30% off the weight. I did a non-rev BachBird case for myself a few years ago that came in at 29 lbs.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2020, 02:56:21 PM »
I vaguely remember a photo of Herr Hornung's bass-case-cave somewhere...
I believe they used to keep the EU butter mountain there at one time... :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2020, 05:59:49 AM »
I vaguely remember a photo of Herr Hornung's bass-case-cave somewhere...
I believe they used to keep the EU butter mountain there at one time... :mrgreen:

This part of it