Author Topic: Come on Flats! Break in already dammit!!!, How long do yours take to work in?  (Read 3120 times)

rahock

• View Profile

btw rick after decades of flats i put some rounds on my kramer and like it. :)

No, no, no.........I'm not listening ;).
Actually, I don't hate rounds. Every time I pick up somebody elses bass it seems like it has rounds on it and I'm comfortable enough with them. Flats have just grown on me the last few years :)
Rick

birdie

• Trying hard to be the person my dog thinks I am.
    • View Profile
I have another jazz-Chris Maresh's old bass- w/ roundwounds. I can't believe this one would ever sound as good w/ flats. Every bass I've ever played responds diff. to what type of string you put on it. Put 6 P's, J's, T birds, whatever, in one place and, to my ear, they will be diff. in some way to one another. Sometimes significantly.
 That's what i meant by every bass "tells" you what kind of strings it likes. My take on it only, of course... ;D

Fleet Guitars

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
rounds vs flats is just another reason to own more basses  :thumbsup:

Most sensible to have both in your arsenal.
Digresion our specialty!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
I like flats and have them on most of my basses.  I find that at least for the first couple of weeks they're on an instrument, they sound much too bright to me.  After a month or so I like the sound much better.

And 10-year-old rounds are darn near as good as flats.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

birdie

• Trying hard to be the person my dog thinks I am.
    • View Profile
"rounds vs flats is just another reason to own more basses" 

"Most sensible to have both in your arsenal."

"And 10-year-old rounds are darn near as good as flats."

I agree with all the above!
Fleet Guitars

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
I admit that I'm just plain lazy when it comes to changing strings.  Unless the strings offend me (which the factory strings on my Rogue VB-100 did, to an incredible degree) I'm prone to leave them on.  My 200 MIM Jazz has the factory rounds on it, and they've mellowed out nicely.  I've never changed the flats on my '63 P and now it's a point of honor not to do so unless one fails.

I do admit that I'm curious what my Casady bass would sound like with flats.  It's at least 2-3 years old and still has the factory rounds on it.

I really don't care much about the sound difference between old rounds and old flats....I tend to pay more attention to whether the strings are comfortable to play.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

SeanS

• View Profile
I have TI flats on my Precision and they are very easy going, but the E is dead and just sounds awful, it booms and has no sustain at all, where the rest are nice and crisp in a flat kind of way, so I feel even flats go off, unfortunatly for me not all at the same time.
Rotosound flats on my EB3 are just so good, love that metalic sound.