Author Topic: DIY Website format, which one to pick ?  (Read 882 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
DIY Website format, which one to pick ?
« on: February 26, 2010, 11:35:45 AM »
I need to put up a website for all my bass related stuff, any thoughts on which format to pick ? Homestead, godaddy are the first two that pop into my head. Any thoughts ? Thanks.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

bassvirtuoso

• My God, it's full of chrome!
    • View Profile
Re: DIY Website format, which one to pick ?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 02:00:05 PM »
I web develop a good amount, but since I'm fresh out of college, I don't set up my own accounts. But from what I hear with GoDaddy, you get what you pay for.
-Dave

German-American Chrome Fan Club Member #666

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 03:53:31 PM »
Is GoDaddy free?

I thought Google web pages are free to point (bandwidth?)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 05:00:55 PM »
A lot of ISPs offer free web hosting space where you can build a website from templates that they provide. They're very simple but you might check with your ISP to see if you have that option. If you have a name that you want to use you can always register it and pay a small fee to have it forward to your freebie page(s).

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 10:06:15 PM »
I run my own website at http://www.colocougs.org.  The host is HostMonster, which I have found has good rates both for the site and for domain registration.  It also provides a number of email accounts and other conveniences.  It's a pertty easy interface to use.  Many hosts offer automatic templates to make it easy to set up the site.

There are also a number of other sites which offer free web templates which you can use as long as you leave a credit to the template site on the page.  I didn't use one for the website I run...but I might in the future.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 11:58:16 AM »
I setup a site recently using Bluehost.com.  Their prices are good, and they had a fairly user-friendly setup wherein you can choose from a number of content management tools to install and use to maintain information your site.  I'm using one called Concrete5.  It was free, and offered a bunch of widgets for auto-generating the site navigation buttons, embedding video clips, and other content.  I tweaked some things in the code just to customize it a bit, but you don't need to know how to code to get stuff up and running.  This was the result:  http://www.psionicsoundworks.com

I had used Godaddy for my music site, and a free editor called KompoZer to create and edit it.  This page is very rudimentary... just yer good ol' html, slapped together pretty quick:   http://www.hillscloud.com

Both hosting providers have been reliable so far, but I've never had to deal with them for any support.

George mentioned that you can also sometimes leverage whatever free webspace your Internet hosting provider might offer you (check with them - most do), and then register a domain and set it up to redirect traffic there.  That way you'll only have to pay for domain renewals... which are cheap.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 02:25:22 PM by chromium »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 04:54:40 PM »
This forum is hosted by Bluehost. One reason we chose them was easy installation of the SMF software. I've never had reason to look at their DIY website packages since we never intended to set up a website separate from the forum.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 05:03:48 PM »
One of the departments at our university also uses Bluehost for external storage.  I'm currently using Box. net for offsite files, but I'm considering moving them to Bluehost this summer because it would be less expensive.  Unfortunately that also means having to renew every one of a couple hundred file links in various courses!  Arrrrgh.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."