Author Topic: The Lost Girls - please read  (Read 3396 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
The Lost Girls - please read
« on: July 09, 2015, 04:07:36 PM »
The Lost Girls

I don't want to put names in the subject line since this involves a registered member here, but I urge you to read it.

If it's too long for you here's a summary.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
Re: The Lost Girls - please read
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 04:25:11 PM »
The article includes Thunderbird broken headstock content too
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 04:54:56 PM »
Powerful article...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 05:53:55 PM »
Everyone knew Fowley was a total dirtbag but this is really the cherry on top, no pun intended.  I worked with the Runaways at The Whisky three separate bookings in '77 and  mainly dealt with Kent Smythe, their road manager mentioned in the article.  He held them in utter contempt.  Cherie Curry quit during sound check for the last gigs and Joan Jett just picked up the ball and ran with it.

After one of the Friday night shows I was sitting on the backstage stairs shooting the shit with Smythe.  Elvis Costello came barreling up the stairs on his way to their dressing room.  As he passed us Kent said to him, "They're definitely NOT 'This Year's Model'."  Didn't faze Elvis.

On a similar note, when Camille graduated from Boston University I sprang for the graduation shot of her receiving her diploma from the head of the department.  She didn't want anything to do with it.  Turned out the asshole had sexually harassed her.  I never asked what it exactly was he did but she's no shrinking violet.

Forewarned is forearmed, especially when it comes to our daughters.  Remember what dogs we could be!

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 08:53:07 PM »
I already knew Fowley was a dirtbag too and that story was sickening. Words don't do justice to the anger that stokes in me. My band covered "Cherry Bomb" with all the irony that a bunch of redneck punks could never fathom.  I've always treated women with the respect I want for myself and I'm big enough to enforce that policy with others. Awful.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 08:31:08 AM »
I'm not surprised one bit. Fowley looked exactly like he was. And even back then it was clear to me that The Runaways were puppets at his mercy, molesting included. But I believe that even as a 16 year old you could sense that the man was evil and scum, Frau Fuchs realized that probably earlier than others, but the girls went for a Faustian pact (for a while at least). The Runaways film was surprisingly light on that shady part, but it seems that band-internally it was and remained a non-subject, never mind how unsurprising it all is. I don't doubt Frau Fuchs' story either. That JJ refuses to confirm it is again no surprise - she was probably just more hellbent than her bandmate in selling her soul and took it as part of the deal, especially if it is done to someone else and not her. JJ wanted fame at any - even the highest - price and she got it from Fowley. Stalking Suzi Quatro (and looking like her) only gets you that far.

There are people you just look at and your sensory warning system goes off - Kim Fowley was an arch example. Bill Cosby was way better at hiding it.

BTW: I wouldn't be surprised if there were male bands with similar experiences with gay managers/svengalis too. And that it remains hushed up.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 08:44:01 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 10:55:31 AM »
Fowley spent some time leaching around Chicago.  I know he promised to make some people stars again for 75%, and was laughed at.  He came into contact with my singer at the time, who described him as looking like "a gay basketball player", and took no interest in any of his offers.

Anyone who's spent any time in the music business, even at the entry points, will find these kinds of parasites.  Music is a wonderful thing, but the life can destroy your soul.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 10:57:54 AM »
Fowley lived to be 75 while good people die young.  It's a sad fact of life. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 04:14:40 PM »
That's an interesting commentary on it:

"And there is no forgiveness for Jett’s chilly response to Fox’s public account: she says she did not witness the event as it was depicted (my emphasis) and refers all other questions to Fox, since it was Fox’s story. It is a statement crafted to deflect legal blame, and the Twitterverse pounced on its guarded insincerity, a cardinal sin social media will never forgive."

http://persephonemagazine.com/2015/07/the-runaways-complicated-legacy/

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 04:26:53 PM »
That's an interesting commentary on it:

"And there is no forgiveness for Jett’s chilly response to Fox’s public account: she says she did not witness the event as it was depicted (my emphasis) and refers all other questions to Fox, since it was Fox’s story. It is a statement crafted to deflect legal blame, and the Twitterverse pounced on its guarded insincerity, a cardinal sin social media will never forgive."

http://persephonemagazine.com/2015/07/the-runaways-complicated-legacy/

Doesn't surprise me a bit. I heard about the story b/c of a Facebook post by Babes In Toyland bassist Maureen Herman. She's really enraged at JJ.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2015, 08:32:27 AM »
If nothing else, I hope and pray there's a Hell simply because Kim Fowley deserves to be stuck there with a remembrance of his every deed for the rest of eternity.

I'm not surprised by Jett's response either. I got the impression long ago that her Faustian bargain extended into her solo career as well and I've never been much of a fan as a result.

I corresponded with Jackie a few years ago. Her aunt worked for my parents and I worked a lot with her when I was young, but we'd lost touch over the years. Ms. Fuchs passed on my number and I was able to catch up with my old friend. As far as she knew I was a faceless nobody on the internet and she still took the time to respond and do me a nice favor, which (to me) spoke highly of her. I hope she is able to make some level of peace with this now and find healing.  She deserves it.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2015, 08:54:13 PM »
Jett has now issued a statement

Too little, too late and she's still in denial.

Look, there have been a number of public allegations of rape in the past couple of years that have turned out to be false. This isn't one of them. It was witnessed by a number of people who have confirmed Jackie Fuchs' account, including Cherie Currie. There's no doubt it happened and no doubt Jett was there. 

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2015, 09:16:24 AM »
A couple of interesting responses - one from Evelyn McDonnell, author of Queens of Noise and referenced in the "Lost Girls" article: https://populismblog.wordpress.com/2015/07/10/statement-on-the-lost-girls/

And one by writer (?) Chris Morris: http://watusichris.tumblr.com/post/123795611192/victim?og=1&fb_action_ids=10204510353859974&fb_action_types=tumblr-feed%3Apost

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2015, 12:18:51 PM »
I found this comment of Evelyn's to the point: "Jackie herself did not speak about this until now. Joan was also 16, perhaps stoned, possibly traumatized. She is not the villain here."

While the whole thing stinks, I can't claim to put myself in the mindset of a teen-aged girl at the time this happened.  For all I know it was traumatic enough that some of those present may have unwittingly blanked it from their memory or otherwise found ways to deal with it without admitting it.  I can't say, and I won't presume to say for them.

I also can't presume to speak for or guess at the emotions or motivations of Ms. Fuchs; that's hers alone.  I can only wish her the best and hope that some good for her will emerge from its public unveiling.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 12:48:15 AM »
I’ve been reading Vickie & Jackie’s post on FB and learning more then I ever wanted to know about Kim Fowly, Fowly was one sick asshole going to their parents & making the case why they should let him manage that Band and look after their Kids and then have him & the roadies treat them like shit, just awful, one of the roadies taped Jackie’s hysterical blow up in Japan and after she was out of the band they would play it and laugh about it before rehearsals, that’s beyond cruel it’s evil,