Gear Discussion Forums > Gibson Basses

EB-3 wiring

(1/5) > >>

bobyoung:
Gibsonbass.com seems to be down at least right now. I'm looking for a schematic for the wiring, what I want to do is have the full output of the neck pickup along with the bridge in pos #3. I haven't really looked at the wiring very much and understand that there's a choke probably in series with the neck to cut out the treble and maybe a cap in series with the neck for the baritone position #4? Can these be bypassed and be reversed? Has anyone ever gotten full output of both pickups together probably in pos. #3 and if so how did it sound? I realize the neck will probably completely drown out the neck but can a good balanced sound be achieved with the volume controls? I'm just guessing at the wiring so all info anyone has will be appreciated.

ramone57:
I can't find the schematic I have but did find a wiring diagram, if that helps.  hopefully gibsonbass.com will be back up soon.

eb2:
I will add a thanks for that, as I am great with diagrams and terrible with schematics.

doombass:
I have'nt made any mods on my '69 EB-3 but I've been tempted for a while. It's tricky to leave out the choke in position 3 and still have it in position 4. What is also tricky is that the resistor is connected always in series from the neck output.An easy way to try without a choke (make the neck pickup equal to an EB-0) is to disconnect the choke coil wire at lug 8 and the capacitor wire at lug 7. Also use a wire and shortcut the resistor. This way you can see if you like the unchoked sound in position 3. I'm not sure the bridge pickup will be that much drowned out because since the pickups are wired in parallell the high DC resistance of the Mudbucker will be slightly "shortcut" by the bridge pickup.

Also notice that if you want to individually adjust the volumes you must switch the connections on the volume pots. Gibson connected them so both volumes act as mastervolumes. They did for some really strange reason (which is beyond me) connect the output jack side to the mid lug of the pots.

If you can make anything out of it I made an alternative schematics from the original.

Original:

Mod:

Position 1: Full Mud
Position 2: Full Mud + bridge pup
Positon 3: Mud with resistor and capacitor + bridge pup
Position 4: Like position 3 on the original schematics

I have'nt switched the wires on the volume controls on the schematics but I would do that as well.

ramone57:

--- Quote from: eb2 on September 24, 2008, 10:11:31 AM ---I will add a thanks for that, as I am great with diagrams and terrible with schematics.

--- End quote ---

welcome to the club!   ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version