Author Topic: Repaint on this Grabber?  (Read 2261 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Repaint on this Grabber?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 10:17:31 AM »
You can't rule it out that they did something like that in the mid-seventies, sparkle green being a disco color and the Grabber being a bass you could slap.

If they did this

then why not something in sparkle green? To be sure you would need much better pics or look at the bass in person.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 10:24:16 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Johnbob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 12:58:02 PM »
I hate when sellers offer little to no information about their item. "RARE SPARKLE GREEN
GIBSON GRABBER BASS WITH CASE SERIAL # 99188449 BASS IS IN GREAT PLAYING ORDER." That is his entire description. By not really offering up any information they can't be held accountable for anything. I like how a lot of sellers use words like "rare" to be misleading. For some people, seeing the word "rare" sometimes indicates that the item is original to some degree which is obviously not always the case. I know most people know the meaning of the word rare but some people don't read between the lines and some sellers know that and there is no effort on their part to make sure that they are being clear about stuff. A lot of things are rare, a hot pink Grabber is rare but that doesn't mean that it's original or not. At the end of the day, if I paint my bass camouflage then it is indeed "rare" but that doesn't mean anything. A bass being "In great playing order" also doesn't mean much. It might play well but that doesn't mean it's not glued and taped together. I usually stay away from auctions that offer little to no information because I feel the seller is hiding something. I know it's the buyers responsibility to ask questions but I think the seller should at least give a nice starting point. I hate having to ask the most rudimentary questions like, "does it work?, Is the neck broken?" You basically have to ask every obvious question to make sure since they have made no claims about it. "I just got my item but the pickguard was taped on and not screwed on, wtf?" Sellers response, "Nowhere in my auction did I state that the pickguard was attached to the bass with screws". Lame.

Oh, I am not stating this bass is unoriginal or original but it would be a lot easier if people just offered some details about their item. Maybe this seller is not shady but the fact that he has gotten 23 negatives and 11 neutrals in the past 12 months leads me to believe that it might be a possibility.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 01:36:14 PM »
23 negatives is indeed not to be taken lightly. He's offered zero back-up, that is true.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 04:03:16 PM »
most of this guys negs come from selling cheap, homemade t shirts and scratched records. still a good reason not to buy an instrument from this guy. he seems to sell cymbals as well. must be a drummer. :rolleyes:
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 04:46:42 PM »
 Grabbers are one of the most refined basses on the planet. Why? There are two reasons. Color choice, black or natural (also wine red early on) and because of it's bolt on neck make it a easy target for refins. The green sparkle looks well done but I have my doubts if it is factory. I sold these things back in the day, The HOG got the newest and best of everything, I never saw a Grabber in anything but the three original finishes. That doesn't mean it isn't original but I sure have my doubts and without better pictures, close inspection or documentation the odds are that it is not original.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Johnbob

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 06:25:50 PM »
He never claims that the finish is original. That's my point, he doesn't claim anything. Just says it's rare which can somewhat imply that it's original to some degree.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 02:14:05 AM »
He says "ltd run" in one of the descriptions. Given how the Grabber was Gibson's meat and potatoes bass, that could only be ascribed to the fin and if that isn't original, he's lying.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 12:32:54 PM by uwe »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 07:59:03 AM »
Who knows, it's possible that they did a limited run for a big store.

OTOH what this seller carefully avoids saying tells me this is a refin. When you say almost nothing, it makes me think you have a lot to hide. Maybe about more than the finish.

Johnbob

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 11:25:24 AM »
When you say almost nothing, it makes me think you have a lot to hide. Maybe about more than the finish.
EXACTLY! I think we have 2 options here. It's either not original or if it is indeed a factory original finish, he is a terrible business man because he is not really selling the point that he is selling probably one of the only factory original sparkle green Grabber basses in the world.