Author Topic: Faces reuniting?  (Read 9893 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Faces reuniting?
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2008, 03:10:45 AM »
I see Rod doesn't have to worry about his voice, he just gets the audience to sing his hits.

I never regarded Herr Stewart as a serious rock artist, he has a pleasant voice and sings some great easy listening stuff and some abyssmal things too (all-time low was Love Touch - makes me wince to this day, it was worse than the movie it came from and that is saying something -

and that thing with Sting and Adams for the Musketeer movie was schrecklich too). But he never lost credibility or integrity to me because he never really bothered to have it in the first place. Right from the advent of joining the Faces he carefully worked (and succeeded) at his solo career as a MOR and easy listening singer. There was nothing wrong with that, he was upfront about it. No his voice isn't what it used to be, but whose sixty year old singer's is?*** He still does a crowd pleasing job if he doesn't overstretch himself.

And hey, AOR, MOR and easy listening are not 4-letter words. Like Hellboy and his aquatic sidekick I'm a sucker for this here. In fact, Rod should do a version of it though Barry is pretty much impeccable on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MvhhD6eKaY&feature=related

*** Leonard Cohen's voice or non-voice, the guy is in his midseventies now, has actually gotten better. I saw him in concert earlier this month (sold out Frankfurt's largest hall) and his voice and performance was spine-tingling.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 04:55:22 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2008, 08:49:21 PM »
you wonder what exactly Wood and Stewart did together for the band that Steve Marriott couldn't have done just as well or even better alone.
Says it all from my perspective.

Re the Who, I gotta say I loved Zac Starkeys drumming compared to Kenny Jones.  In fact I was so impressed by it that I would prefer to see Zac Drumming for Zeppelin than young Jason. Jason just lacks something and I'm not quite sure what. Whatever it is Zac has it IMHO.
Digresion our specialty!

dexter

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2008, 04:24:12 AM »
well it looks like a Faces reunion is gonna happen sometime next year , Ron Wood has confirmed the band have been rehearsing,

http://www.bostonmusicspotlight.com/article.php?id=1695

great news ! ... i probably wont get to see them live , but i hope a dvd and new album come out of the reunion...  8)  8)

i wish you all have a happy and safe  Christmas ,
...... all the best for 2009 too

dexter     ;)

Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2008, 07:33:05 AM »
If it hasn't been mentioned yet, Flea is playing bass for (at least part of) the faces reunion.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2008, 10:42:17 AM »
If it hasn't been mentioned yet, Flea is playing bass for (at least part of) the faces reunion.

Ewwwwww...
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2008, 11:37:38 AM »
Ewwwwww...

Don't worry, I'm sure he'll be wearing his strategically placed sock.

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2008, 12:26:04 PM »
well it looks like a Faces reunion is gonna happen sometime next year, Ron Wood has confirmed the band have been rehearsing,

If you want more info, there is a two part Rod Stewart interview out now (part 1 is on bbc iplayer (was on radio 2) at the moment - I think only UK listeners will be able to get this...) which will be on again on boxing day (both parts)
He was saying that the rehearsals were going well, despite the fact it is the only time they have played together when nobody was drunk.

When's the circa '68 Jeff Beck Group reunion?

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2008, 10:49:31 AM »
I'm not a Flea fan but he can do great melodic stuff, which Plonk also did.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2009, 07:25:30 AM »
This just in from Ian McLagan's website, macspages.com as of January 23, 2009:

"The rehearsals were a lot of fun, everybody was in fine form, but nothing's happened since November. Don't believe anything you read about an album in the works, or a tour being planned until you read it here, because this page is bullshit free. I kid you not. I'll be happy to announce good news, or any news, if and when there is some."

http://www.macspages.com/faces.htm

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2009, 11:46:08 AM »
This, in my humble view, is self-defeating. I was never a great Faces fan nor a Rod Stewart one, but him not joining on a reunion tour?

Faces Geared Up To Tour in 2010, With Or Without Rod Stewart
Russell Hall | 11.17.2009
The Faces are “seriously talking about touring” in the spring, with or without original frontman Rod Stewart.

As reported by Billboard.com, keyboardist Ian McLagan intimated that the band has grown weary of waiting for Stewart to commit to a reunion.

“If we don't do it very soon,” McLagan told Billboard, “one of us is gonna check out. I'm 64, for chrissakes! We've been waiting and waiting for Rod to say yes; now he's finally said no. He's busy doing other shit. So we're gonna do it."

The format of the shows would likely be modeled on a performance staged recently by the band at London’s Royal Albert Hall. That show, staged as part of a charity event, saw surviving members Ron Wood, Kenney Jones, and McLagan teamed with former Rolling Stones bassist Bill Wyman and a variety of guest vocalists.

"I think it's more exciting, actually, with different singers, different bass players, maybe some other guests, another guitarist or whatever," McLagan said. "[Saxophonist] Bobby Keys would probably sit in. It's more adventurous. It won't be the same old shit."

Since Wyman does not like to fly, McLagan’s first choice for bass player would be original Sex Pistols member Glenn Matlock.

“[Glenn] started playing bass because of [late Faces bassist] Ronnie Lane,” explained McLagan. “He knows all his licks and really appreciates him as a bass player."

McLagan went on to say that Simply Red’s Mick Hucknall is on the short-list of guest vocalists, but that he and his Faces ‘mates will likely approach other singers as well. He also hinted that the door remains open for Stewart, who’s currently making plans to tour behind his new Soulbook album.

“… it would be much better to have [Stewart] with us,” McLagan said. “[I’m] open either way. I just want to play."

That is kinda like Aerosmith without Steven Tyler, but anything seems to be possible these days:

"It’s Official: Aerosmith Is Looking For A New Singer
Russell Hall | 11.10.2009
Joe Perry has confirmed that Aerosmith is indeed looking for a vocalist to replace Steven Tyler. On his Twitter page, Perry writes that he and his bandmates are “positively looking for a new singer to work with.”

As reported by Reuters, Perry said last month that Tyler has refused to write songs with him for the past decade. Tyler recently told Classic Rock magazine that he wants to focus on solo projects. The 61-year-old singer has reportedly stopped communicating with the band, and has hired his own manager.

Troubles within Aerosmith were ratcheted up at the band’s recent concert at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix on November 1. A triumphant show by all accounts, the event was nonetheless marked by confirmation that turmoil was brewing. Guitarist Brad Whitford was the first to raise the possibility of a new vocalist, telling Classic Rock that if “the chemistry was right, why not?”

Eight years have passed since Aerosmith released a studio album of new material. It seems, however, that Perry believes the departure of Tyler may mark a new chapter for the band.

In an interview yesterday (Nov. 9) with Boston radio station WZLX, the guitarist said, “As long as we’re still kicking, it’s not over. We’ll probably get bored and come back.”

"Aerosmith: Still Trouble in Paradise
Ellen Mallernee | 11.17.2009
Amid talk from both Steven Tyler and Joe Perry that Tyler might be quitting Aerosmith, Tyler took the stage this past Tuesday to sing “Walk This Way” with the Joe Perry Project during its encore at New York’s Fillmore at Irving Plaza.

Tyler told the crowd, “I just want New York to know, I am not leaving Aerosmith. Joe Perry, you are a man of many colors. But I, mother******, am the rainbow!”

Many Aerosmith fans took this as a sign that the band had mended fences and decided to forge on together. But Perry told Rolling Stone that the band’s problems are far from over, despite that its 40th anniversary isn’t too far off.

Of Tyler’s cameo during his band’s recent encore, Perry says, “There was all this commotion during our encore break and somebody said, ‘Steven is here.’ And I was like, ‘What?’”

Tyler then asked Perry if he could join his band for a rendition of “Walk This Way.”

“Being an acquaintance of 40 years, I said, ‘Why not?’” Perry said. “So he came up and sang and that was the last I saw of him.”

In another interview, this one with the Associated Press, Perry revealed, “As it stands, Steven wants to take a couple years off and do some of whatever he wants to do and the rest of the band wants to keep working. The band is a really well-oiled machine and we’re going to work one way or another and I don’t know what form that’s going to take.”

Perry calling Tyler "an acquaintance of 40 years" certainly sets new standards in the careful choice of utmost vitriolic words.   :mrgreen: ;D :)

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2009, 02:07:56 PM »
Sorry, Ian, that's not The Faces. May be fun, entertaining and/or profitable, but it's not The Faces.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2009, 03:37:06 PM »
It's as close as anyone is likely to see, though, Dave... just not our cup of the proverbial...

Is anyone willing to offer any other "oldies reform" that are doing a disservice to the memory of the originals...?

I think it could be a good point to mention that, IMHO, the Allman Brothers Band are still shining a decent light on Duane's memory...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2009, 06:42:23 PM »
I don't mean to imply that it's any kind of disservice. It's just not the Faces.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2009, 06:46:39 PM »
It's as close as anyone is likely to see, though, Dave... just not our cup of the proverbial...

Is anyone willing to offer any other "oldies reform" that are doing a disservice to the memory of the originals...?

I think it could be a good point to mention that, IMHO, the Allman Brothers Band are still shining a decent light on Duane's memory...

YEAH! Allman Bros. are still shining all right!

Some say Derek Trucks is Duane reincarnated. Could be!

« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 06:54:28 PM by Rhythm N. Bliss »

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2009, 09:00:51 PM »
YEAH! Allman Bros. are still shining all right!

Some say Derek Trucks is Duane reincarnated. Could be!

Haynes IMHO is probably the biggest reason for the ABB having been reinstated to their deserved high pedestal. Seeing Govt Mule come out of that union and Derek Trucks rise to the occasion is just one more bonus to the whole situation really.

I'm in an original band which has a guitarist from Florida who grew up and is heavily influenced by all of these guys. He is a great player and I am not looking forward to the fact that he is going back to the US after nearly 3 years here next March.

Digresion our specialty!