Author Topic: Sklar sig at Capsule Music  (Read 6794 times)

Andrew

• View Profile
Sklar sig at Capsule Music
« on: February 10, 2008, 10:49:55 PM »

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: Sklar sig at Capsule Music
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 12:59:53 AM »
The EB3-L could be interesting for some people here?

I don't like the Sklar sig. I don't understand Gibson made such Fender clones.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 04:47:54 AM »
Nobody likes the Sklar bass! The only guy I know who owns one besides me is Bob Gollihur.

Not that there is anything inherently wrong with the instrument - it's well-made. In a desperate attempt to give it some identity though (with regular roundwounds it sounds like a million basses), I have mine strung with Roto tape wound Tru Bass strings and the result of the combination with the DiMarzio P split coils is an almost doublebassish acoustic tone (enhanced by the high action I have it purposely set up with), piezo-like, but not as processed sounding. While that is a nice tone color to have, I could probably achieve the same thing with a Stingray or an active Jazz Bass strung with Tru Bass - hardly the type of string Herr Sklar had in mind I guess!

Well-made bass, but characterless.

Uwe

« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 06:40:40 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 05:44:15 AM »
That's way too high p[riced.

$1200 is what I remember them going for.

Basically it's just a Fender or BC Rich bass?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 06:49:01 AM »
Oh yes, it's definitely overpriced, I guess the Custom Shop background is responsible for that, but as with the Q-80, the Custom Shop was sometimes (mis)used to just produce something off-the-wall, but still in larger numbers, probably to not clog up regular production. My Sklar is overall well made, but not "custom shop-worthy sloppiness-free". And there is really nothing on that bass that warrants the price these things used to have: It's a simple alder/maple bolt-on combination with  Hipshot hardware, EMG active pups, simplistic passive controls and a slab body sans any fancy figured top (or any top at all). All good quality stuff (and in line with Lee Sklar's credo of his signature bass being a "working tool"), but hardly boutiquish or elitist. We're not talking awe-inspiring luthiership here.

It will be slowmoving stock for sure. Never mind how Sklar never seemed to play it except in the Gibson promo pics of the time. These days it's not even worth a side comment to him in his interviews, it's like the thing never existed.***

Uwe

*** Well, actually in this a couple of years old Musician's Friend interview he does:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?doc_id=101412&s=articles

Some relevant excerpts, some of it new to me, especially the "Valley Arts/favor for a friend" origin:

MF: Have you been playing the same basses for years?

Lee: In the studio, the main bass I’ve used since the mid-‘70s is the one I always refer to as Frankenstein. It was never a real bass. It was pieces of different things that we assembled as a project that ended up being probably the best bass I’ve ever had. John Caruthers actually built this bass. It was a ‘62 Precision Bass neck that I reshaped into a Jazz Bass neck shape. We reshaped the neck because I always liked the Jazz Bass better than the Precision Bass. The body was made by Charvel back when they were doing replacement parts. It’s an old alder body that was a P Bass body but it’s got a set of Rob Turner’s very first pickups from when he started EMG. What we did was take a set of his Precision Bass pickups, put them where the Jazz Bass pickups would normally go, but routed them in a reversed position. I had the luxury of building an instrument, so I kind of looked at it and I thought, just by the nature of the higher-pitched G and D strings, the pickups are going to read them better than the A and E strings. So why on earth when Fender originally put their P pickups together, did they make the pickup under the G and the D string closer to the bridge, rather than the neck? We just reversed the position of the pickups and it evened the bass out unbelievably well. We put a Bad Ass bridge on it and it’s got one of Dave Borisoff’s very first Hip Shot D tuners. I’d say I’ve used that bass on probably 1,800 records.

MF: Are those the active EMGs?

Lee: Yeah. They’re around 18-volts but it’s not like new active pickups that are really hyped. The configuration of the knobs is exactly like an old Fender bass. There’s just a tone and two volume knobs. It’s not like you’re sitting there with notches and midrange crap and all that. So what it really sounds like is a hyped passive instrument. It’s incredibly natural but it’s just got a little more dynamic range to it. I absolutely love that bass. It’s my favorite instrument I’ve ever played.

I did one signature bass for Gibson but it never really saw the light of day the way we intended. The reason I got involved was one of my closest friends Mike McGuire who used to own Valley Arts Guitars moved to Nashville to head the Gibson Custom Shop. Gibson never really had the credibility in their bass department like they’ve had in their guitar department and we thought if we could build a really good bread-and-butter instrument that would be fairly inexpensive, it would be cool.
Uwe's comment: Why doesn't this guy get a shave first before making irresponsible statements like that!!!!  ::)

I thought it would be really good for him in terms of his position within the company and stuff.

We designed it and came up with what I thought was a really nice bass. It was real light, so like, female bass players would probably love playing it because it’s not like hanging a big heavy bass around your neck. I thought it turned out great but ultimately the company never got behind it so it never got promoted. They were going, "Well, we haven’t really had any orders." I said, "Well, you haven’t placed an ad! What are they going to do, call Dionne Warwick’s psychic network to see if there’s a bass being made?" [laughter] So I just kind of lost interest. I think there’s some of them floating around.

MF: I’ve seen a picture of one but I’ve never seen one in real life. I’ve never seen one in a store.

Lee: It turned out real nice. It’s nothing I’ve found myself upset about. I thought it turned out real good and that they did a good job. Take Dan Lakin at Lakland Basses. He wanted so long to do a signature bass because he’s done the Joe Osborn and Bob Glaub and all these different guys. I said, "You build a great bass and if I was going to look for a bass, every bass you’ve got, I’d be happy with." I would play the Glaub bass ‘cause I love Bob and I know what he would like out of a bass. I’m such a fan of Joe Osborn’s stuff and I said, "I would just take one of their basses and play it."

I would not bring enough to the table. I’m not a gear head. If, at this point right now, somebody said, "We’re putting a gun to your head, and if you can’t tell us how many frets are on your bass, we’re going to kill you," [laughter] I would be dead, because I honestly don’t know how many frets are on my bass and I honestly don’t care. If somebody says, "How many frets are on there?" I would say "Enough."

I’ve never been one of these guys that’s into collecting instruments and stuff. I don’t really care about it. I’ll play whatever I’m handed. I like having everything from a couple of old Washburns to a Yamaha fretless to a Hofner to my old funky bass to a Dingwall. Every one of them is dramatically different, but at the right moment they serve the purpose. I don’t care about anything other than the fact that they’re serving the purpose.[/i]
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 07:21:31 AM by uwe »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 10:35:21 AM »
Those comments might explain why Lee has endorsed so many products over the years. He uses and likes them, he just can't remember all of them.

Speaking of memory -- Jerome Gaw a/k/a funkycarnivore bought a Sklar, you can see it here: http://www.realsleekfeel.com/. No idea if he still has it, he hasn't updated his blog in a year. He used to buy and sell like crazy, but Lee is one of his bass heroes so maybe he still has it.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 11:09:49 AM »
I thought he recently became a minister?

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 11:23:11 AM »
He is a minister.

I dropped him an email and just heard back, he's still playing bass, but understandably busy with other things.

He said he still owns the Sklar and plans to keep it forever.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 11:29:06 AM »
Lee Sklar a minister of defense?  :o

No, Funky Carnivore became a holy man, I get it now. That's right, I remember him getting a Sklar comparatively late.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 08:21:39 AM »
That's way too high p[riced.

Capsule is kinda known for that around here.  I used to live down the street from that place.  It's where I bought the Triumph pup I sent to Rob years ago (the only decent buy I've ever seen in there - they had no idea what it was, they just saw the 8 leads and the Gibson name and put a $100 sticker on it).
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 09:42:01 AM »
Ah, Jake, Dana let you out once more. How's the new house?

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 09:56:35 AM »
Ah, Jake, Dana let you out once more. How's the new house?

Commitment is a wonderful thing.  :D

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 10:01:48 AM »

"Commitment is a wonderful thing."

Depends on your point of view...........then again perhaps I should be commited.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 10:44:51 AM »
Weren't you supposed to be married to Chris? I still think that must stand as one of the great unconsumated romances since ... Claudia Schiffer and David Copperfield!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 10:58:23 AM »

:-\  Yes! ........he's leaving me at the alter.......I think it's 'cause I want an "open" relationship

Yes, 'open"  ;D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...