Author Topic: At last, 2015 V-Bass photos  (Read 14449 times)

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
Re: At last, 2015 V-Bass photos
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2015, 01:20:36 PM »
  Also, you have to love Gibson's laziness by using the Tbird's headstock CNC profile  :rolleyes:

It looks like they used the whole Thunderbird neck and put different body wings on it. If it wasn't made with exotic woods it could be made a lot less expensive and maybe even be desirable.

It could have been a good and affordable bass, but apparently Henry wants to move Gibson up-scale.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2015, 01:27:07 PM »
And passive electronics. It has way too many knobs.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2015, 02:16:46 PM »
On another forum, I stated I was really unhappy with the Gibson price increases--that I'd still buy a used one, though.  I received a lecture on how I didn't understand the free market, capitalism, supply and demand, etc.  I love how people can make so many assumptions when they know absolutely nothing about the person they are talking to.  The bottom line is that a company like Gibson has the right to raise their prices, but customers have just as much of a right to register their displeasure.  Prices are going to be what they're going to be depending on how much people are willing to pay for something.  I don't think anything is more basic than that.  But I see nothing wrong with people complaining about Gibson's high prices if they feel like it.  I've always liked Gibson basses, but there is no way I could ever afford what they're charging now.  It's as simple as that. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 03:15:22 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2015, 03:15:09 PM »
You guys sound like these two...

I have a pair of socks with those esteemed Gents on them... much cheaper than a Gibson... :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2015, 05:38:24 PM »
On another forum, I stated I was really unhappy with the Gibson price increases--that I'd still buy a used one, though.  I received a lecture on how I didn't understand the free market, capitalism, supply and demand, etc.  I love how people can make so many assumptions when they know absolutely nothing about the person they are talking to.  The bottom line is that a company like Gibson has the right to raise their prices, but customers have just as much of a right to register their displeasure.  Prices are going to be what they're going to be depending on how much people are willing to pay for something.  I don't think anything is more basic than that.  But I see nothing wrong with people complaining about Gibson's high prices if they feel like it.  I've always liked Gibson basses, but there is no way I could ever afford what they're charging now.  It's as simple as that.

You ran into one dope. Or maybe just someone who defends Gibson no matter what.

If these don't sell, he'll see supply and demand in the free market in action.

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2015, 05:51:30 PM »
Reminds me of an Ibanez.  And if that's the sort of thing you like, then you'll really like that sort of thing.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2015, 06:49:17 PM »
You ran into one dope. Or maybe just someone who defends Gibson no matter what.

If these don't sell, he'll see supply and demand in the free market in action.

I went back and checked.  There seemed to be a pattern in which he would get upset at people for complaining about high prices, not just with Gibson, either.  It was something that really seemed to bother him.  Finally, some people disputed some of his claims about the economy.  So he left and never came back. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2015, 11:23:22 PM »
The $ bass is cool Dave. Don't call it a monkey.
This bass ain't so bad. Would have been cool to see a maple cap over the whole top and some sweet bursts to boot. The option of having lemon, antique cherry and perhaps a bourbon burst might have made the cost slightly more justifiable. Guess that would have defeated the point of using a t bird neck. Maybe it's not a V but an arrow pointing down. Makes sense because that's probably the direction most of your thumbs were pointing when y'all saw it. I'm eager to hear a buyer's take never the less.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2015, 04:38:18 AM »
So....it's a coffee-table Rick-bodied T-Bird neck with tons of knobs and flame: it looks like Gibson is just discovering the 90's.  What market are they hoping to get with this? Modern up-market active basses are much less conservative and it's definitely NOT vintage inspired. It's like Gibson tried to go the same "evolutionary" route as their guitars and then pulled back with whole robo-tuning bit. The zero fret might have found acceptance and certainly wouldn't make THAT bass any worse. The EB's were an interesting idea, just priced out of reach for mass market (which is Gibson actually trying for or not?) until the inevitable closeouts. The EB should have been cheaper and given some time.  Maybe in 20 years, Epiphone will put out a reissue of the EB with decent quality pickups (compared to normal Epi-buckers) ala the Nighthawk.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2015, 05:39:06 AM »
I went back and checked.  There seemed to be a pattern in which he would get upset at people for complaining about high prices, not just with Gibson, either.  It was something that really seemed to bother him.  Finally, some people disputed some of his claims about the economy.  So he left and never came back.

You are so right about prices.  A bass is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.  And that number goes up and down with the wind!  Actually, the economy and a raft of other variables regarding a bass's desirability drive the price.  As for new basses, there are hundreds to choose from and competitive prices are important if you want to drive sales.  Fender figured it out years ago.  Gibson still has their heads up where the sun don't shine.   8)
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2015, 07:52:02 AM »
So....it's a coffee-table Rick-bodied T-Bird neck with tons of knobs and flame: it looks like Gibson is just discovering the 90's.

Yup! Would look right at home in a Carvin catalog.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2015, 07:55:39 AM »
Yup! Would look right at home in a Carvin catalog.

But it would be half the cost.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2015, 08:21:55 AM »
This is the most ridiculous thing I have seen yet from Gibson... V??????

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2015, 08:58:57 AM »
You are so right about prices.  A bass is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.  And that number goes up and down with the wind!  Actually, the economy and a raft of other variables regarding a bass's desirability drive the price.  As for new basses, there are hundreds to choose from and competitive prices are important if you want to drive sales.  Fender figured it out years ago.  Gibson still has their heads up where the sun don't shine.   8)

Well, the person I was talking to wanted prices for new basses to go up and prices for vintage basses to go down.  He seemed to be pretty adamant about it all.  He was really bitter about both situations for some reason.  As for prices going up and down with the wind, that certainly does seem to especially apply to vintage. 

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2015, 09:00:36 AM »
Well, the person I was talking to wanted prices for new basses to go up and prices for vintage basses to go down.  He seemed to be pretty adamant about it all.

Then he needs to wave his magic wand and make it so, jahwohl?
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."