Author Topic: Assault with battery  (Read 4436 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Assault with battery
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2011, 11:43:28 PM »
AC, isn't that kind of like your insistence on the Imperial measurement system? Really, the only evil missing with you guys is left lane driving!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 04:02:10 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 04:03:40 AM »
I want "added electrons" too!!! I'm just the slightest bit doubtbtful that there is no sound demonstration of his ingenious little invention in the clip, shucks ...

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 04:06:30 AM »
AC, isn't that kind of like your insistence on the Imperial measurement system? Really, the only evil missing with you guys is left lane driving!

Uwe, the world runs on AC. It may be at different voltages and currents in different countries, but nobody uses DC. Funny thing is, excepting lightbulbs, EVERY piece of electronic gear uses DC. That's why there are power transformers and rectifier circuits.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2011, 04:10:09 AM »
Ah, what do I know!  :-[ :mrgreen: I thought it was another US aberration, you're always good for something strange there.

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2011, 04:43:11 AM »
I thought he said the negative was tied to the tip of the jack.

Right around the 3:10 mark, he mentions the wire that runs to the output jack is connected to "negative earth".  You can also see the connection there.

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2011, 05:06:54 AM »
Ah, what do I know!  :-[ :mrgreen: I thought it was another US aberration, you're always good for something strange there.

What I've never understood about wiring elsewhere in Europe is why nothing needs to be earthed.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2011, 05:51:22 AM »
With those sockets and plugs it is:

The silver things in the socket do the earthing. The socket you pictured is probably from Italy and wouldn't even be allowed in Germany!  :mrgreen:

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2011, 07:37:13 AM »
Look at the other uploads on this guy's YT channel. Six ten-minute "Prog at the BBC" videos. That explains a lot about his muddled thinking.  :P

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2011, 07:39:46 AM »
Look at the other uploads on this guy's YT channel. Six ten-minute "Prog at the BBC" videos. That explains a lot about his muddled thinking.  :P

haha I noticed that too!    :mrgreen:

wagdog

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2011, 08:52:40 AM »
Clearly the guy is an idiot.  Everybody knows you put the 9v battery on your tongue.  You can readily feel the extra electrons!  When you hold your bass these electrons flow through the bridge ground and convert your instrument from passive to active, or, if active already, to a 18v system.  If you stand in the sun the photons get added too, especially if you have a Lightwave.  Too bad I sold mine.

Daniel_J

• No, I'm not Japanese. I am Brazilian actually...
    • View Profile
    • Oficina_SB
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2011, 09:31:10 AM »
Everybody knows active is better than passive. That guy just found an easy and cheap way to make it so, right? And he just wants to share it with the world, right? And we are all just a bunch of jerks because we couldn't think of it first, right? RIGHT?!?!
 ??? ??? ???

I've just finished building a SG Bass. Should I try this little "improvement" before shipping the bass to the guy who ordered it?

What harm could it do...  :o

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2011, 10:03:12 AM »

How damning.  :-\

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2011, 02:14:14 PM »

Right around the 3:10 mark, he mentions the wire that runs to the output jack is connected to "negative earth".  You can also see the connection there.

I don't think it actually is. Considering his knowledge of electronics, I doubt he wired the output jack properly either. I never saw any connection to the jack other than that one and the tech in me had started tuning out what he was saying almost completely by that point; I was trying to see what he was actually doing, since it was pretty obvious from his description that he is severely uninformed. As you alluded to earlier, wiring that way is a dead short and the battery would heat up immediately to the point that touching it would be painful. No way he could tuck everything in and get the cavity cover on without noticing. It's all immaterial anyway, because the idea is bullshit. As others have noted, it's curious that there are no soundclips. From what I see, the bass wouldn't have an output at all, with or without the battery.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2011, 02:44:01 PM »
What about US AC circuitry in the household...? earthing wise...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2011, 03:52:08 PM »
What about US AC circuitry in the household...? earthing wise...

USA 3 prong, 110 hot, neutral, earth.  Taiwan, 2 prong 110, China 2 prong 220.  Lotta Taiwanese stuff gets blown up in China!  For my universal voltage cellphone and computer chargers I made a  2 bare wire adapter.  Works just about everywhere but it was difficult beating those German outlets last time I was in Cologne.  I forget how I got around the ground circuit.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 04:24:26 PM by dadagoboi »