Author Topic: Assault with battery  (Read 4435 times)

PhilT

• View Profile
Assault with battery
« on: October 15, 2011, 04:08:03 PM »
Not sure what to make of this. Can you really make an SG "active" just by wiring in a battery?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiwA3MLuFQ4&feature=channel_video_title

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
Re: Assault with battery
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 04:35:43 PM »
I don't think you can make a bass active by adding a battery. Active tone controls boost and cut, and I don't think adding a battery will make an EB do that. As to his claim that the battery makes the electrons have more energy, well, I don't know. I did notice there were no before and after sound bytes.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 04:51:48 PM »
I watched the video. The guy is an idiot or a charlatan trying to encourage people to hack up SG basses. Active basses have a preamp. Usually those have active EQ as well, but not always. Sticking 9 volts of DC (in inverted polarity if done as shown in the video- but "correct" polarity would make no difference) is only going to have a battery sitting there as if disconnected because coils do not pass DC and the pickups are inductive coils. The "mod" does nothing other than mar the bass by moving the output jack unnecessarily.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 06:40:39 PM by Psycho Bass Guy »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 05:06:30 PM »
"The electrons have more vitality"  Oh brother  :rolleyes: 

It's not powering anything. "Active" means that a bass has a powered preamp, usually external unless it's an original EMG with an internal preamp. Just wiring a battery into a passive circuit does nothing.

The guy is an idiot or a charlatan ...

Why not both?

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 05:38:00 PM »
At first glance, Jules 20/20 circuit looked to be just that, a 9 volt added into the circuit.

http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/gibson2020wiring.php

But remove the felt, and the preamp circuit is exposed!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-20-20-bass-Steinberger-electric-guitar-pickups-/130518813672?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item1e63870be8

I bought these & added felt to them, to confuse the poor guy that ends up with them after I give them up...............
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 06:47:00 PM »
Why not both?

If he's an idiot, he's sharing his ignorance with a large portion of the world. A charlatan will likely be able to convince at least one other idiot to do this and ruin another nice bass. I hoping for 'idiot' so the damage will be confined to the bass shown.

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 10:26:34 PM »
he sounds like Johnny Rotten
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 02:11:17 AM »
I'd describe his case as "clinical".

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 02:35:14 AM »
It looks to me like he's just running a dead short across the battery terminals.  If the + terminal of the battery is connected to the case of a pot (as it appears to me), and the neg. term. is connected to the sleeve of the output jack, that's actually the same point electrically.  Throw the switch and the only thing that will happen is the battery will heat up to about 200 degrees probably, maybe even more, maybe enough to char-broil your nice new SG bass.  I don't get it.  ??? :sad: :-\ :puke:

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 09:14:37 AM »
I thought he said the negative was tied to the tip of the jack.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 12:45:08 PM »
Knowledge is the enemy of faith. The Catholic Church knew that already centuries ago.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 01:24:08 PM »
I take it all back, this guy's a genius. I wired a battery across the controls of my toaster this morning, my English muffin was done in half the time and came out already buttered!  :mrgreen:

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 01:40:12 PM »
Knowledge is the enemy of faith. The Catholic Church knew that already centuries ago.

...all the while supporting the bourgeoning discipline of science within their walls. Knowledge for the masses undermined their political power, but the 'apple' was no less attractive to them. And science and faith both grew with and without their sanction.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 05:12:49 PM »

DC Current is the way of the future! AC is deadly..... AC Current is what's used in the Electric Chair!  :P
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 08:40:40 PM »
...said the world's most famous and handsomely rewarded con artist and technology thief. Tesla was correct, but there IS actually some logic to Edison's view. Thing is, we've been able to compensate for AC wall current almost from day one. Some people liken this argument to switching supply audio amps versus 'standard' supplies. Edison is still winning with THAT one.