Author Topic: Babybird has come home to roost.  (Read 8328 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Babybird has come home to roost.
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 05:29:53 AM »
I Like how they shoehorn Paul in there  :rolleyes:
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2011, 06:48:33 AM »
One of the more prominent Gibson bass players no doubt.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2011, 02:43:46 PM »
Like Stanley Clarke?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2011, 04:34:32 PM »
Well, didn't Stanley play an EB-2 initially?

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2011, 06:12:03 PM »
 At least Stanley held the darn thing! I think SC played a EB3 early on. Show me a picture of Paul holding a Gibson bass.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2011, 06:26:19 PM »
Why do they imply its an entry level bass .   They are good at pushing potential customers away like " Money Bass".
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2011, 07:59:20 PM »
Why do they imply its an entry level bass .   They are good at pushing potential customers away like " Money Bass".

It's a mystery to me. Henry J thinks he's a marketing genius.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2011, 09:32:22 PM »

Consider this:
Available only in flat/matte black, cheapest finish there is.  Hides most sins and is really difficult to maimtain.
Zero components unique to this model except that hinky looking pick guard.
Undressed frets, not usually considered a high end feature.

I forget whether it's set or thru neck and I guess with a $499 Epi Pro having a through neck it's a toss up as to whether that's a high end feature.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2011, 05:26:17 AM »
It's a set neck. Funny, I just had a gig yesterday where I marvelled on stage about the huge sustain of my Bicentennial and Korina Birds, the bass player in the other band had a well enough sounding Cort Jazz Bass, but his sustain wasn't even close, my notes (over the same - his - Marshall solid state rig) just stood there and wouldn't go away. Only neck-thru does that.

Back to the topic: It's unfortunate that even Gibson as a once primarily short scale bass maker now seems to relegate short scale into the "for beginners, if you're hands are too small or if you are really a guitarist" corner. And isn't even the street price of this a little hefty for a beginner?

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2011, 07:00:02 AM »
 I find that set neck NRs sustain more than the neck through reverse, I think it has something to do with the one piece mahogany body. The reverese Tbirds have like 9 laminations plus the body wings I thing all those glue joints inhibit the transfer of string vibration.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2011, 07:33:48 AM »
And isn't even the street price of this a little hefty for a beginner?

That's what really doesn't make sense about their marketing. Beginner/student basses in today's are made in China and sell for $100-$150.

But this is the marketing team that gave us the ridiculous Fireturd X unveiling ceremony starring Henry J as Steve Jobs with Dick Butkus' doppelgänger as his sidekick.

BTW, the Fireturd X doesn't just have any old built-in effects processor. The marketing department has renamed it the Turbo Charged "Pure-Analog™" Engine.  :rolleyes:

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2011, 10:08:38 AM »
Im 6'3" 350#(thats 159 K Uwe! :mrgreen:) & I find shorties very comfortable to play. I have big paws & sausage fingers from all those years of burns, cuts & hot/cold h2o.
If I were to read that add on their site I would not waste time or spend the money. One of the only basses I had that was like it was made for me was  a Ripper. Like a dope I sold it. I have a Guild 302 Im restoring that I think will fill the void
- nothing new  or diff
- crappy black finish
-black hardware.
- & a price point that is only geared towards the" Richie Rich's " of newbie players.WTF!
 Only the recommendation from you all would prompt me to even look at one.
 If it were white or burst Id be on it in a heartbeat & I like a black bass
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2011, 10:14:52 AM »
I think they should throw "For players with gimpy t-rex arms..." into the ad copy.  "You'll be playin' Crossroads in no time, you stubby armed freak!"

BTW, the Fireturd X doesn't just have any old built-in effects processor. The marketing department has renamed it the Turbo Charged "Pure-Analog™" Engine.  :rolleyes:

;D  Hey now, that's a "pure analog" effects processor if I've ever seen one!  Pure analog gear will always convert the audio path to digital for processing!  ???

"We then use high performance ADC chips to convert the audio stream into the digital form on which our sound processor can act with virtually no latency. Inside our engine we maintain the signal stream with high internal precision. What this means is that every effect or operation has such a fantastically high bit depth and resolution that there are virtually no truncation errors or other artifacts, truly preserving the analog quality of the original signal. The signal starts as fantastic analog, and leaves as fantastic analog, using an exceptional DAC. Everything that happens in between is Gibson Pure-Analog™."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2011, 11:08:28 AM »
I called the HOG and told Kurt to hold the next one in for me to have a look at.  I might buy it if I like it. If I were to buy, I would probably refin it. No big loss in value there!!!!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2011, 11:31:22 AM »
BTW, the Fireturd X doesn't just have any old built-in effects processor. The marketing department has renamed it the Turbo Charged "Pure-Analog™" Engine.  :rolleyes:

How is that any worse than EBMM's "Game Changer WTF that is?
I don't think Gibson has the market for poor hyperbolye cornered  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...