Author Topic: Babybird has come home to roost.  (Read 8326 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Babybird has come home to roost.
« on: March 22, 2011, 02:34:19 PM »
 I picked it up this afternoon! Having fun setting it up and playing it. Feels nice sets up great. Introducing it to the gang
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: Babybird has come home to roost.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 04:55:39 PM »

Doesn't it smell good!

Uwe's has been keeping my upstairs practice room quite aromatic over the past few days.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 04:47:00 AM »
While it does smell good it isn't pungent and I think it is from the case and not the bass it certainly isn't stink'n out the place. I am very happy with this purchase. A few more observations................... The frets are dressed flat not crowned, fine by me but I think it is in a effort to keep the cost down. I had my choice of two basses this one had especialey lively MOP dots, both examples played fine out of the box not bad for a factory set up. Once home I was able to get the action super low with out any trouble or buzzing. I love the slab body and sharp radius on the body edge along with the set neck it has some NR vibe to it. Definatley not neck heavy, sort of a odd sensation for playing Thunderbirds for 30 plus years. I'd really like to see a one pickup long, scale version of this in the worn cherry or walnut finish..................a guy can dream right ?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 11:43:52 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 05:03:16 AM »
Looks great!  It only comes in black???
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 05:08:26 AM »
Yep only black......................as far as I know. As for the arrivals of the LP bass and others in this series Bruce says when they show up they show up, no rhyme or reason. I'll be checking the store a couple times a week.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 07:37:09 AM »
.......... The frets are dressed flat not crowned, fine by me but I think it is in a effort to keep the cost down.

That's not good, whether it's intentional or got overlooked. That's a defect in workmanship that should be fixed under warranty.

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 01:37:52 PM »
What kind of bridge does it have . Cant see ,not 'nuff chrome ! :mrgreen:
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 02:07:51 PM »
The 'ol three point bridge, what else would you expect? As for the frets the bass plays fine and in tune I'm not that worried about it.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 02:13:53 PM »

I really haven't had much time to spend with Uwe's yet, just about 30 minutes using the practice amp, while I think it needs a proper set up it's quite playable. I will use it with the band this weekend at rehearsal thru the GK - I'm looking forward to it  ;D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 02:24:48 PM »
 I am taking mine to rehearsal  next Mon. I was able to get nice low action on mine with very little effort, the neck is almost flat very little relief (that's how I like it). As always with me the bridge pup gets screwed right down so it is out of my way.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 02:25:08 PM »

I really haven't had much time to spend with Uwe's yet, just about 30 minutes using the practice amp, while I think it needs a proper set up it's quite playable. I will use it with the band this weekend at rehearsal thru the GK - I'm looking forward to it  ;D

Don't rub her the wrong way!

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 05:58:03 PM »
Don't rub her the wrong way!

More images I could do without at bed time.  :o

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 06:22:31 PM »

More images I could do without at bed time.  :o

;D    It's ok once in a while!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 09:41:39 AM »
Convenient too at times.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 05:19:25 AM »
Sliding on to less sticky subjects, gentlemen, Gibson has now made it official:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Bass/Gibson-USA/Thunderbird-Short-Scale-Bass.aspx#

They do advertise it a little as if it were primarily for the physically and otherwise (guitarists) handicapped though:

"New from Gibson USA, this bass blends iconic styling with legendary Gibson tone, in a package that is perfect for players looking for something different than the same old long-scale basses out there. The Thunderbird Short Scale Bass (which at 30 1/2" is still somewhat larger than a full-sized guitar) is perfect for players with shorter arms and smaller hands, beginners and students, or those who are more familiar with 6-string guitar scale lengths. But the short-scale bass isn't merely an "alternative" or a "student" instrument by any means. Two of the world's most famous bassists, Paul McCartney and Jack Bruce, played short-scale basses at the most influential points their careers, and countless others have used them to make legendary rock, pop and blues recordings. The Thunderbird Short Scale Bass brings weighty tones and easy playability to a package styled for the 21st century, and suitable for every variety of music."

« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 05:26:30 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...