Author Topic: Don't buy used silverware  (Read 5867 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Don't buy used silverware
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 01:20:58 PM »
Dave is - as always - right:

This where the Elster (German for magpie, a thieving magpie is a "diebische Elster") lives. My guess is that they reached the Western US via Siberia/Alaska, a Communist bird then in the land of the free. They're great survivors - you won't get rid of them ever!  :mrgreen: Serves you right for flooding us with your darn Colorado beetle and racoons.  ;)
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 02:42:28 PM »
Foghorn Leghorn was based on Senator Beauregard Claghorn, a radio character on the Fred Allen Show played by Kenny Delmar. I read an interview with Delmar, who I think was from Boston, he said the idea for the character came from a train trip he took where he sat next to a long-winded Texan who talked like that.

He made a movie, too: http://www.archive.org/details/its_a_joke_son (no way would this be made today).

Dave, Dave , Dave, I don't know where you come up with this stuff but that cannot possibly be correct. I'm quite certain that the basis of both Foghorn Leghorn and Boss Hogg was none other than my uncle Hubert down in Arkansas . He was a politician and  mayor of a city ( that shall remain nameless ) down there. If you ever saw him speak I'm sure you'd disregard your story and side with me ;)
Rick

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 03:31:56 PM »
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 09:20:48 PM »
That's a nice...I SAY, THAT'S A NICE ONE!!!!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2009, 03:38:45 AM »
We have Magpies in Australia but they look (and are about the same size, quite big birds) more like a black and white Crow, completely different bird though. They make a fantastic oogling singing sound. They are one of the most common birds in the country.

These birds each learn a part of their familys song. If a Magpie comes into that familys territory and cant sing a specific part of the family song then the rest will attack it and chase it out of the territory. They are very symbolic here, almost as much as the Kangaroo.

I saw the Magpies when I lived in England.................    "Thats not a Magpie!"   ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzAa1sqXOik&feature=player_embedded
Digresion our specialty!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2009, 05:14:47 AM »
We have Magpies in Australia but they look (and are about the same size, quite big birds) more like a black and white Crow, completely different bird though. They make a fantastic oogling singing sound. They are one of the most common birds in the country.

These birds each learn a part of their familys song. If a Magpie comes into that familys territory and cant sing a specific part of the family song then the rest will attack it and chase it out of the territory. They are very symbolic here, almost as much as the Kangaroo.

I saw the Magpies when I lived in England.................    "Thats not a Magpie!"   ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzAa1sqXOik&feature=player_embedded

Those aren't magpies, they're condors!!!!  :mrgreen: With all the weird creatures you have down there, human life forms can't possibly be normal either.  ;)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2009, 08:18:46 AM »
I love the way threads in this forum turn 90 degrees into unknown territory at the smallest prompt. :mrgreen:
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2009, 09:03:02 AM »
I always wondered why a cartoon about two magpies had "Listen To The Mockingbird" as its theme song.

I suppose "Listen to Two Talking Magpies" hasn't been written yet.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2009, 10:57:28 AM »
I just noticed that you guys have common ravens (not crows, we're talking about the big guys) too

and it seems that they are doing better than their magpie siblings in conquering North America. Only parts of the old Confederacy are still holding out. Figures, given that bird's particular color ...  ;D ;)

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2009, 02:51:59 PM »
Swallowing all that silverware is SO sick!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi-yo~ Silver----away!

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2009, 05:06:36 PM »
We haven't yet discussed the Blue-Footed Booby...
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2009, 05:23:37 PM »
We haven't yet discussed the Blue-Footed Booby...

I can just GUESS that we're about to head into new territory from this point on.....so I'll blaze a path...although I admit this pic is short on feet.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2009, 05:58:21 PM »
I'll bet those are real. 

The bird's feet, that is. ;)

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2009, 06:01:42 PM »
I just noticed that you guys have common ravens (not crows, we're talking about the big guys) too

and it seems that they are doing better than their magpie siblings in conquering North America. Only parts of the old Confederacy are still holding out. Figures, given that bird's particular color ...  ;D ;)

We do have grackles. If you can't find them in their natural habitats, you can just go to a supermarket parking lot and watch them scavenge for food.