Author Topic: alembic mania  (Read 30688 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: alembic mania
« Reply #120 on: March 04, 2010, 01:36:18 AM »
I like the vind, Hieronymous!

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #121 on: March 06, 2010, 12:18:10 PM »
Thanks Chris! Here's another one, just audio this time (and no turntables):

This time played with a pick, and with the new Moog Taurus 3 bass pedals.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #122 on: March 07, 2010, 03:51:01 AM »
Cool! I heard about the new limited edition Taurus pedals. I wanted to review one, but I believe there's only one for Holland, Belgium and Luxembourg...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 07, 2010, 06:45:02 AM »
Ahh, the Benelux Coalition...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 10, 2010, 09:56:38 AM »
Got some video footage of my Stanley Clarke 5-string

The bass sounds great- assertive and punchy.  That one is a short scale, correct?

I thought the DJ fit well in there, too.

Oh- and congrats on the new Taurus!

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 10, 2010, 01:50:53 PM »
The bass sounds great- assertive and punchy.  That one is a short scale, correct?

I thought the DJ fit well in there, too.

Oh- and congrats on the new Taurus!

Yup, short scale it is. I like the clarity of it, even with flat wounds.

The Taurus is very cool as well, but it is very large and heavy - don't really have space for it at home! Haven't had a chance to really play around with it yet - when I do maybe I'll post in the effects section...

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 14, 2010, 11:12:35 PM »
Studio version! Telembic bass, Greg DeGuglielmo on drums, DJ TAKA on turntables again. Any comments on the mix appreciated - not used to working with turntables...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 22, 2010, 09:18:22 PM »
Studio version! Telembic bass, Greg DeGuglielmo on drums, DJ TAKA on turntables again. Any comments on the mix appreciated - not used to working with turntables...

Hey I just got a chance to listen to this.  Nice job on the mix re: the turntables.  I thought the panning, delay, etc was spot on.  Another thing that might be fun is bussing them out and processing them with your Moog LP or the SF-2.  

I was trying to think of groups that incorporated turntables in an actual band setting to give you ideas.  You might check out Beastie Boys' Check your Head.  There was a Dutch band called Urban Dance Squad that used tables, and I used to like some of their downtempo/psychedelic stuff (Careless, Piece of the rock, Alienated... come to mind).  Maybe check out DJ Cam, DJ Shadow, The Dining Rooms, Mu-ziq, Blue States, Action Figure Party... for more recent stuff (although its mostly electronic drums or ambient)

For the bass, I kinda favored the Alembic sound in the live clip.  The Fender sounds more middly/billowy to me here, compared to that tight punchy sound in the live clip - which fits better to me for this track.  That's being really nitpicky though.  Your playing sounded great.

Cool stuff!  Look forward to hearing more.   8)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 09:25:12 PM by chromium »

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 23, 2010, 04:32:19 AM »
Got some video footage of my Stanley Clarke 5-string:

The turntables may not be to everyone's liking, but I really enjoyed it! The bass is strung with Chromes, played through a Glockenklang Soul Head, Custom Audio Japan tube compressor, and Epiphani 2X10 cabinet.

Nice video, I like the turntables. The bass a has a great warm tone to it, but still sounds like you.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 23, 2010, 06:44:01 AM »
Got some video footage of my Stanley Clarke 5-string:

The turntables may not be to everyone's liking, but I really enjoyed it! The bass is strung with Chromes, played through a Glockenklang Soul Head, Custom Audio Japan tube compressor, and Epiphani 2X10 cabinet.

Great voicing on the bass and rig.  What I also loved was the sound of the snare in that hall, did something for me :)
Digresion our specialty!

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 24, 2010, 10:52:01 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys!

@Chromium: I actually briefly entertained rerecording the bass part with the Stanley bass - you have me considering it more seriously now!

Unfortunately DJ TAKA is moving to Japan in September, but hopefully we will have a few more chances to play before then. We have something in the can that is pretty cool, but I have a bit more editing and overdubbing to do.

I actually saw Urban Dance Squad live - I really like them! Saw 'em open for Living Colour in Worcester, Mass., probably around '90 or '91.

@Barkless: Thanks John! I know you miss the mudbucker bass!  ;)

@Freuds_Cat: I've had a few people comment on that snare - it's a piccolo! I definitely like the spaciousness of the room sound too, I tend to go dryer on my studio stuff...

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 16, 2010, 10:43:10 PM »
So I created another opportunity to jam with DJ TAKA today! I videotaped it, but haven't had a chance to listen. Since I was disappointed with the way my bass recorded the last time I played, I decided to record the bass by itself direct! I plugged one of the effect loop outs from my Glockenklang Soul Head into my Tascam DR-1. Even when you set the gain on the Tascam pretty high so that it looks like it's almost peaking out, the actual recording volume is pretty low, so I did some compression, EQ and loudnessing with Ozone 3 (not to mention some reverb) and came up with this:

I should have a better title than that! It's my 5-string Stanley Clark Sig. Standard with newly-strung Chromes, into an MXR M82 Bass Envelope Filter and Glockenklang Soul Head with CAJ V-COMP Tube Compressor in the effects loop - I'm not sure where in the signal chain the effects-loop out I used is, so who knows how much effect the amp and compressor had on the sound? Plus, I didn't have the time to fine tune the filter, so I think I'm hitting it a bit too hard, but I kind of like it.

Hopefully the video came out at least half-way decently - if so, I'll post some more!

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 19, 2010, 11:25:59 AM »
The audio from the video tape recording came out pretty good, minus the bass, so good thing I made the direct recording of the bass!

I'm kind of surprised at how sloppy my playing is - well, no I'm not, I'm rusty! But I like the energy of the track. DJ TAKA on turntables - he's moving to Japan in September - I'm bummed!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #133 on: May 20, 2010, 01:54:04 AM »
I don't think Alembic lovers will like me now, but I'm reviewing a nice bass these weeks:

I guess Warwick and Alembic don't like eachother that much. Alembic makes the Tears Of John (or something) Buzzard clone and Warwicks makes the Spyder clone.

This is one hell of a bass though!!
- Mirrored active P pic ups
- 3-way EQ
- Quilted maple top
- Mahogany bodywings (Hollow!)
- Maple neck through
- Ebony fretboard
- 24 frets
- Buzzard headstock

I'm enjoying myself a lot until I have to send it back again...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 20, 2010, 01:24:28 PM »
Now that is what I call posing, but you haven't yet learnt the true art of the blag...  ;)

(ie you have to send her back...?)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...