Author Topic: De Cola pick ups for TBIV  (Read 1504 times)

copacetic

• View Profile
De Cola pick ups for TBIV
« on: November 15, 2016, 12:54:51 PM »
I have 2 Gibson TBIV's. 2006 & 2007. After being impressed with the 2015's 2 additional features 1st the pickups and 2nd the Babicz bridge,  I'm thinking of saving some money by inserting these 2 features on one of my TBIV. From what I can tell you can just drop in the Babicz bridge into the 3 point. I do however not see how to obtain the De Cola pickups..Also would need the switches to Switch to the single coil options. Anyone here know how to get the DeColas?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: De Cola pick ups for TBIV
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 03:14:10 PM »
AFAIK they're not available separately. There aren't any bass pickups offered in Gibson's online store. You might check with an authorized dealer, it's possible that they could be ordered through Gibson's parts department.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 04:44:12 PM »

Gibson is always reluctant with parts, 7-8 years back I needed a chrome three point to restore a '76 'Bird and none were to be found as parts. Working with my repair guy (he's authorized as a Gibson repairman) I was able to get the part, you might see if anyone in your area could do this for you.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 05:01:46 PM »
Just pickup a 2013/14 EB bass, swap out the pickups and controls, then sell it. You can advertise the EB as "upgraded to Thunderbird electronics" :mrgreen:

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 05:42:25 PM »
Just pickup a 2013/14 EB bass, swap out the pickups and controls, then sell it. You can advertise the EB as "upgraded to Thunderbird electronics" :mrgreen:
My kinda guy . . . long as it's disclosed.

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 11:53:02 AM »
Good idea there. One thing I have noticed at least on the '15 TBIV's with the De Cola's is ..I guess you might call it 'chorus effect'. Once you go beyond the 12th fret you get this chorusy (there might be a more accurate term that I am not aware of) effect. It might be due to the powerful magnets in the pickups or something. But t it definitely is a different world when you get up there on the fretboard. If that's the cause (the same thing on the 3 I've tried now) there needs to be some lowering of the pups. Have not ever played the other Gibsons with the DeCola's so I can't testify to that as the cause.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 01:51:35 PM »
I know that effect. They are also not the best pups for bending notes as their magnetic filed is strong but narrow so the sound fades quickly. But not everybody is a Jack Bruce so it doesn't matter much to a lot of bassists.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...