Author Topic: Andreas Demetriou Bass resurection...  (Read 19007 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Andreas Demetriou Bass resurection...
« on: September 24, 2010, 01:10:53 PM »
Okay... lots to do... or maybe not...

First off, going fretless with this one... what to fill in the fret gaps with is a question... the surface of the neck is very Fender Jazz like in radius...

I have one EMG (which this Lady was originally loaded with) and may be tempted to steal one out of my Hohner... any recommendations for a second humbucker or a pair to get...?

Also, need a fairly shallow bridge - may just go very basic and thinking Jazz - any recommendations instead...? being fretless I may reposition the bridge for Jazz dimensions - 35"... looks like this has been an issue before as there are 4 positions  and at least 2 types by the sets of screw-holes - the scale is presently 17" to the 12th...

Statistics... weight is around 7.5lbs/3.4kg... the neck is almost a clone of the RD in construction but is wider at the body - 24th fret is 2.5"/63mm and very accessible... the body is very nearly 2" thick

The fin... there's quite a nice grain pattern... now I'm thinking... dragonburst... blue and green...

Opinions...?

The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Re: Andreas Demetriou Bass resurection...
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 02:17:28 PM »
I would do it AKA Jack Skellington with it either painted white, then black rubbed in the grain or visa versa

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 02:18:38 PM »
any links to a pic/s please John...?
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 02:31:22 PM »
IMO that's a beautiful piece of wood that needs the equivalent of an elegant cocktail dress and a string of pearls as a finish...mind you I don't call basses 'she' but I don't have a problem problem with that.  This one needs no tarting up.  Again just my opinion.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 02:34:20 PM »
I can't help it Carlo, it's just the way I am with all technology... with instruments, it just all them curves... ;)

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 02:54:48 PM »
I can't help it Carlo, it's just the way I am with all technology... with instruments, it just all them curves... ;)

Well this one definitely is curvy!  Finding another one piece body like that these days would be very rare.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 02:55:38 PM »
(picking jaw off floor...)

THAT... IS... SO... 8)

Jackie just reminded me that I have to have this passed by my R&D-Q&A Dept (AKA the daughter...) ;D

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 03:41:25 PM »
By fairly shallow bridge are you talking about the height above the body or the size of the baseplate?

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 04:08:10 PM »
The angle of the neck to the body is very shallow... take the body "shape" away and I'd say that the nearest equivalent I could say is my Jazz set-up so a Fender style bridge would probably be spot on, but would that simplicity suit the bass...?

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 04:22:59 PM »
Is it possible it had a badass1?  3 hole pattern suggests it to me.  Can't explain those other two holes.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 04:29:37 PM »
I have a B1 and it would have been far too high off the body - definitely not that one...

Kev, the seller, put a reference to another bridge that was up for sale - a Schaller 3D4 which the he said was the type originally fitted...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 05:01:18 PM »
Bad Ass 1 is pretty tall.  Never liked the way that Schaller looked.  Good adjustability though.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 06:00:40 PM »
I have a B1 and it would have been far too high off the body - definitely not that one...

Kev, the seller, put a reference to another bridge that was up for sale - a Schaller 3D4 which the he said was the type originally fitted...

That's the Schaller roller bridge, very low profile. The Schaller 2000 is just as low, even more adjustable and nicer looking. I have a 2000 in chrome that's almost new, if you're interested I'll sell it to you for way less than the new price. The baseplate is a standard Fender 5-hole pattern.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2010, 01:05:57 AM »
http://www.fbass.com/images/FINISHES/FINISH-Black%20&%20White%20Ceruse-lg.jpg

;D

That would look great, if you use pink instead of white ofcourse! :D Or orange maybe. Black hardware all over, ofcourse.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.