Author Topic: Advice on routing new pickup recess  (Read 2629 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Advice on routing new pickup recess
« on: December 29, 2009, 03:28:18 PM »
I'm about ready to have a go at routing the new pickup recess for the T-Bird pickup on my EB-0.

Any advice on whether I should make a template for the cavity, or free-hand it with a carefully created outline on the body?  I may have to tweak the existing pickup cavity as well.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on routing new pickup recess
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 06:52:23 PM »
I would make a template, and depending on the situation I might plug the existing cavity.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 07:19:30 PM »
Template and test it on some scrap first.  Also make sure you allow for the thickness of the finish when sizing the template.  The perfect snug fit becomes a PIA once you add finish - or so I'm told  :-[ :rolleyes:

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 07:09:55 AM »
+1, template and test.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 12:36:39 PM »
+1, template and test.

+2! After working in the case shop here for the past 13 years, I can't BELIEVE the things I used to do free-hand with a router. Templates rule!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 01:34:46 PM »
Sounds like great advice.  I'll flip that PU upside down and trace, then figure out how much wider the template needs to be to allow for the bit and bearing.  A few 2x6 chunks can give their all for practice and adjustment.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 01:36:55 PM »
Agree with all of the above ! Template and test !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 04:59:30 PM »
ALWAYS use a template and then test. Freehanding is for other purposes. You'd seriously regret it if ypou try to freehand it. My 2 cents.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 06:32:58 PM »
I can't remember, are these the standard guitar humbucker size from a LP Bass or the wider ones from a T-bird? If it's the former, you can probably find an accurate template .pdf online.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 07:08:27 AM »
I can't remember, are these the standard guitar humbucker size from a LP Bass or the wider ones from a T-bird? If it's the former, you can probably find an accurate template .pdf online.

Dave's right.  If the pups are the smaller LP pup size, you can buy the templates cheaply enough on eBay or Stew-Mac.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 12:28:03 PM »
I've emailed Stew-Mac asking them if their Humbucker Pickup Routing Template (#1094) is a match to my T-bird pickups.  My pickups have dimensions of 2 3/4" wide, 1 1/2" top to bottom, and the mounting tabs on each end stick out about an additional 1/4".  We'll see what they have to say. 

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 12:48:38 PM »
That's standard guitar humbucker dimensions, give or take a thousandth or two depending on manufacturer. Bartolini's page gives the dimensions as 2.75 in x1.52 in.

I found the attached routing template at the Tele forum, he did not put in the corner radii because he predrills the corners at 3/8 in. and uses a converted milling machine instead of a router. I can't vouch for the template dimensions but I can measure an opening in an old pickguard if you wish.

Of course, using a square template with a router still gives you rounded corners, just use the proper radius bit.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 12:57:52 PM by Dave W »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 06:06:16 PM »
Thank you very much, Dave!

That sure looks right!  That template just adds 1/16" in each dimension...and my measurement was a 'skosh (note highly technical language used for accuracy) smaller than the lines on the tracing I made.

If that's the case, I may buy the $6 template from Stew-Mac.  Howsomever, I picked up a chunk of masonite today and might try making my own...if I can find a couple hours to spare.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 07:07:41 PM by Pilgrim »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 07:15:35 AM »
You'ld need a template for the template...  ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 01:40:20 PM »
You'ld need a template for the template...  ;)

This has not escaped me.  It would take a good deal of time to make a template from scratch - when one has never done it before.