Author Topic: This is what three glasses of wine will get ya. Jackson content  (Read 2115 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
 Not sure what got into me but while surfing on my tablet last night I pulled the trigger on a Kelly Bird, $299.00 delivered. When I first saw them I didn't like the shape all that much but it has grown on me. What I really love about this bass is the flamed top and finish, I hope it looks as good in person as it does in pics! I did have a practical reason I am on a sub list for a 80's hairband tribute and I think this pointy headstock bass would be perfect, I don't even have to take a rig just grab a bass and show up.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
Re: This is what three glasses of wine will get ya. Jackson content
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 03:14:45 PM »
that point looks like it could really hurt someone.

looks  in great shape.  Probably sounds ok.

you have a jumpsuit for those gigs? 
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 03:59:27 PM »
you have a jumpsuit for those gigs? 

Shredded bandanas tied around thighs are a must as well. Of course, Scott will have to wear tights.  ;D
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 04:17:29 PM »
You'll poke your eye out, kid.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 04:21:47 PM »
Bwhahahahahaaa actually I'm hoping to poke someone else's eye out.
You'll poke your eye out, kid.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 03:18:21 AM »
Wouldn't take much to round that chisel out and you'd have a traditional "Butcher Bro" (tm) cutaway...  couple of Thunderbuckers, and your away... ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 10:06:00 AM »

It's kinda growing on me - I'll admit.

I'm not diggin' that bridge......if it's not a 3 point I'm  ???

Some chromey bits, that's what it needs, spandex, assless chaps..........I could go on  ;)

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 10:35:12 AM »
 I was thinking lace up leather pants and a T shirt ;) I may chrome it out maybe even slap a model G in it if it plays well and is of decent quality.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 11:28:31 AM »
I was thinking lace up leather pants and a T shirt ;) I may chrome it out maybe even slap a model G in it if it plays well and is of decent quality.

I raise you one neon and zebra shirt...
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 02:44:53 PM »
   There is precedent not exactly pointy but my '76 Ibanez Destroyer is certainly from the dawn of the pointy bass age.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 03:03:39 PM »

I like that!

!........ Mmmm,  Pointy!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2013, 03:28:52 PM »
If you can find one these are great basses! The original pickups are a little weak and I started modding mine almost as soon as I got it. Knowing what they go for now I should have left it alone. But I will say this is one on the best sounding and playing basses I own.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 06:32:46 AM »
How does the Destroyer compare to your Hamer Blitz, Scott?
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 02:59:48 AM »
Apples and oranges. The Destroyer is a 32" scale while the Blitz is 34". The Blitz is a huge bass almost unwieldy, it has a very fat neck front to back making it most suited to pounding eighth notes. The Dimarzio P/J set up and it's all mahogany construction make it one hell of a great sounding bass, but I don't use it mainly because of the fat neck and it's size. The Destroyer has a very slim almost Rickenbacker like neck, on second thought it's very close to a late 60's EB0-EB3 neck profile and is much smaller compared to the Blitz. The body is made up of multiple pieces of ash. It also came stock with  a P/J set up but over the years it evolved into what you see now. I'm not a fan of bridge pickups, with the muddy in the neck and the Tbird pickup in the sweet spot this bass roars!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 01:50:11 PM by godofthunder »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 01:56:40 PM »
 It's here! Holy crap I can't believe how nice this bass is. Excellent QC, very, very  well made, I don't think I am over the top in saying it's comparable to basses costing 3x as much. Way better than the Waterstone Mod bass or the V8 at half the price for the Mod and less than half for the V8, no comparison really. Compared to a Epi bolt on Thunderbird this is  head and shoulders above. I can't believe it cost only $299.00  :o