Author Topic: John Deere Fenderbird  (Read 2937 times)

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
Re: John Deere Fenderbird
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 08:42:14 AM »
Hmmmmmmmmmmm I'm a a IH Farmall man myself. Makes me sorry I sold the poor thing. Well  RS is in Tennessee  :rolleyes:

No they're not. They're in Winchester, Kentucky, much closer to Ohio than Tennessee. Besides, RS didn't do the John Deere finish. The fact that the music store knows the original color and says it's a refin makes me think they did that finish (or knows who did) but don't want to take credit for it. There's nothing wrong with a tractor-themed bass, but this is one of RS's limited run Explorer-birds. Anyone looking to resell it after painting it like that doesn't get what that bass is about.

The pups, you want to love them 'cause they're chrome but they are a bit on the weak, listless side.

I've speculated that those Fralin custom pickups were designed around a tube guitar preamp. They don't sound very T-Birdy at all until they're fed into a high impedance tube input stage. Then, they get VERY growly. Into most s/s bass amp preamps, they would be pretty listless.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 09:41:26 PM »
Maybe Derek Smalls commissioned it to play "Sex Farm"?
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2013, 04:46:58 AM »
 Your right Kentucky! My bad. When I had the bass it sounded great through the Hiwatts. I know Mark was pretty disappointed in their sound, wonder if he was using  SS rig at the time?
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2013, 11:04:41 AM »
Nothing a pair of TB+ can't fix.  :)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2013, 01:18:07 PM »
Your right Kentucky! My bad. When I had the bass it sounded great through the Hiwatts. I know Mark was pretty disappointed in their sound, wonder if he was using  SS rig at the time?

Yeah, GK 1001RBII. Still, no love lost. It's a sometimes expensive epiphany to realize that one was meant to play a single type of bass - For me that's a Reverse Thunderbird, anything else just doesn't last around my house. 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2013, 03:51:22 PM »
Have you ever tried a prolonged session with an RD...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2013, 04:23:36 PM »
Have you ever tried a prolonged session with an RD...?

Uwe's re-issue, I had my way with it quite a few times  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2013, 04:27:07 PM »
Has that finally sated that lust or do you still hanker after an Artist for a while...? Mind you, weren't you entertaining the thought of an Explorer (or maybe a Carlo E'bird?) ...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...