Author Topic: So, is the EB (2013-14) officially discontinued?  (Read 3790 times)

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
So, is the EB (2013-14) officially discontinued?
« on: June 05, 2015, 07:48:34 AM »
Stock levels dwindling, no sign of it in the 2015 lineup, is it officially the end of the road for the EB after only 2 years?  Too soon!  The Victory struggled on for 5! ;)
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

amptech

• View Profile
Re: So, is the EB (2013-14) officially discontinued?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 07:51:41 AM »
Do you mean that the Victory did not live up to it's name? :)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 08:39:18 AM »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 11:12:32 AM »

Gibson-internally it was mocked as "The Loser" - I heard that from Phil Jones who joined them as a luthier at the time the Victory had grown a bit long in the tooth and not lived up to expectations.

Gibson giving up on another bass model prematurely or belatedly (depending on your view)? What else is new? I'm probably the only person on earth who owns two EBs.  :mrgreen:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 12:36:40 PM »
Yes, it's done for. In the words of Mr. Cleese:  'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!!

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 02:58:10 PM »
I'm surprised a completely new model like the EB lasted as long as 2 years, though I had the notion after the first year that it was popular enough to last even longer than 2 years. My best guess is it does'nt stand up to be as price increased as the SG and Thunderbird (which probably still sell good enough for Henry).

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 05:47:45 PM »
You didn't need to kick the living sh*t out of the point I was making, people.  Some of us happen to enjoy our Victories - it's my go-to recording bass, I'll tell you that for nothing.

Leaving aside people being less delicate than me about it, my point is that something that wasn't held in high regard by its parent company was allowed to live for 5 years - what the hell does that say about the EB?  I quite liked mine.

Gibson do a year of unprecedented affordability then follow it up thinking they're some sort of boutique builder?  The "V"?  That's just stupid.  But what do I know?  I'm only one of the suckers who keeps buying their stuff.
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 07:56:08 PM »
You didn't need to kick the living sh*t out of the point I was making, people.  Some of us happen to enjoy our Victories - it's my go-to recording bass, I'll tell you that for nothing.

Leaving aside people being less delicate than me about it, my point is that something that wasn't held in high regard by its parent company was allowed to live for 5 years - what the hell does that say about the EB?  I quite liked mine.

Gibson do a year of unprecedented affordability then follow it up thinking they're some sort of boutique builder?  The "V"?  That's just stupid.  But what do I know?  I'm only one of the suckers who keeps buying their stuff.

The Victory may have been internally mocked but that says more about the mentality at Gibson back then than any fault with the bass.

I did understand your point. OTOH I keep in mind that the Victory came from a different era. Henry J. didn't buy Gibson until 1986. IIRC the Victory guitar models were already gone by then, and the basses didn't last much longer. Things are obviously different now. The company seems to be throwing things against a wall to see what sticks.

I'll be surprised if the V-Bass ever makes it to production. I'll be even more surprised if the current pricing structure holds, since sales from the 2015 guitar line have supposedly been terrible. A couple of former employees with inside contacts have posted elsewhere that sales have only been 30% of expected goals.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 01:55:06 AM »
....And I do like the EB too, a friend of mine sill got his 2013 sunburst - the first thing I do when I visit him
is to pick it up and fool around with it for an hour or so.

I am surprised too! If I needed a versatile, new long scale bass (which I don´t) this would be it! I really think it´s a good instrument and a thorough design (except the glued knobs, perhaps :) ), I get a 70´s vibe from it - nice and solid, not s pretty as the 60´s ones but a decent gibson design that gets the job done.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 03:37:27 AM »
I'll be surprised if the V-Bass ever makes it to production.

The curse of the "V"... :o

Continental V - STRIKE 1...!
"V"... STRIKE 2...!?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2015, 06:44:52 PM »
Coincidentally I just finished playing my 2014 EB for the third straight night. I love it. The neck fits my hands perfectly, it is versatile sound-wise, and sounds great. The only thing I don't like is it's weight. It's not really heavy, it's just that I have been spoiled by a Carvin B4 that is very light, I'll get used to it.

One other thing. The case handle is flat and uncomfirtable. This is a brown case with red lining and a sticker saying case made in Canada. 

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 06:57:33 PM »
When I had Uwe's EB here, I didn't find it that heavy either. But it does have a large body, so no surprise that it outweighs your B4.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2015, 02:35:50 AM »
The curse of the "V"... :o

Continental V - STRIKE 1...!
"V"... STRIKE 2...!?

It is possible Gibson awaits sufficient preorder figures before pushing the production start button. In that case, yes probably doomed to never reach any stores.

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2015, 02:56:01 PM »
Gibson-internally it was mocked as "The Loser" - I heard that from Phil Jones who joined them as a luthier at the time the Victory had grown a bit long in the tooth and not lived up to expectations.

Gibson giving up on another bass model prematurely or belatedly (depending on your view)? What else is new? I'm probably the only person on earth who owns two EBs.  :mrgreen:

I think EBs will be judged favourably over time.
I used wonder if I was the only person who owns two Victory basses until I saw there is a guy on another forum with two Victory Standards.  :)
People who have Victorys seem to regard them well, if a little on the heavy side. I think the weight can be seen in the context of the time they were made. F*nder had produced some incredibly heavy basses in the later half of the 70s. Gibson had produced the RD in the late 70s which are even heavier than Victorys in my experience, but not as heavy as some late 70s F*nders. So Gibson probably didn't see overall weight as an issue at the time, particularly when seeking to balance their basses better.  Possibly also explains why RD basses are so much thicker through the body (about 42mm) (and heavier as a consequence) than RD Guitars (about 34mm).

How thick through the wings are 70s T Birds?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2015, 06:31:03 AM »
I never said a bad thing about Victories! I was attracted by their look right from the start and own a Standard, Custom and Artist as well as another fretless Standard. I think they sound fine, the necks are indestructible and I find their heaviness reassuring.

There is no such thing as a heavy TBird as long as it features the glued in wings. All through the ages the wings have been around 3" thick, a little less at the thin parts, a little more at the thick ones. Anybody who hasn't played a TBird is surprised about how light it is considering its size.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...