Author Topic: Judicious use of chrome (also - metric FTW)  (Read 3279 times)

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
Judicious use of chrome (also - metric FTW)
« on: November 20, 2014, 04:37:44 AM »
Hi guys

I'm not a lover of vast swathes of chrome (control plates and the like say on a Jazz, Stingray or '51 P - so industrial looking) but I never really got on with the black hardware on my NR Thunderbird - just didn't suit.  So I've changed my tuners and bridge to chrome.  Just got the strap buttons to go, but already I think it looks way better.

On a side note, the bridge is actually off an Epi JC and it fit perfectly - metric bolts and everything.  When did Gibson go metric?

Yes, much better.  That's enough though - quite happy to leave the pickups as is.  To my eyes, the chrome/black is balanced out by the knobs being both.

Also, I have absolutely no intention of swapping the tone pot with the jack socket so don't even suggest it ;)
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Judicious use of chrome (also - metric FTW)
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 05:29:36 AM »
Even I have to admit that it looks nice.

I only realize this now - duh! - compared to the original, Gibson mistook tone pot and jacket routing on the whole reissue series,  :mrgreen: , that is so dumb, it's already cute again.

Metric is the way of the world - feel subjected every inch of the way, you Yanks!  :mrgreen:

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Blackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 07:27:41 AM »
I think if you do the pickups covers, it'll be really nice.  I don't think I like the chrome and black together for some reason.

On my vintage burst, mine are V V T all inline, with the input at the bottom.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 08:26:33 AM »
Even I have to admit that it looks nice.

I only realize this now - duh! - compared to the original, Gibson mistook tone pot and jacket routing on the whole reissue series,  :mrgreen: , that is so dumb, it's already cute again.

Metric is the way of the world - feel subjected every inch of the way, you Yanks!  :mrgreen:

I'm fine with it as long as it means I get 10 day weekend after a 5 day work week.  ;)

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

neepheid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 08:31:07 AM »
I think if you do the pickups covers, it'll be really nice.  I don't think I like the chrome and black together for some reason.

On my vintage burst, mine are V V T all inline, with the input at the bottom.

Nah, that's a chrome step too far for me :)

Also, I prefer the jack socket where it is because I suspect it's better for when one puts one's lead through one's strap.
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 08:39:09 AM »

My old man took an active part in beating Kraut asses from N.Africa to Anzio, Monte Cassino, the Bulge and into the fatherland. Stick that up your metric system.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 08:48:09 AM »

I'm fine with it as long as it means I get 10 day weekend after a 5 day work week.  ;)

I thought that was a basic premise of the metric system in France.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 09:15:07 AM »

;D

I'm afraid our calm, collected Europeans just don't really understand chrome - It's always best in excess!  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

neepheid

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 09:15:35 AM »
Oops, a can of worms that isn't labelled "chrome hardware"!  I'm happy to live in a land where the two systems co-exist.  I'm much more comfortable talking about small things (screws, nuts, bolts, small gaps, hex heads) in metric, but use imperial for larger stuff (road distances, height/weight of people, bags of sugar, weight of meats, scale length (863.6mm doesn't quite trip off the tongue like 34" ;) ).  I can't stand all this talk of eighths, sixteenths, thirty-seconds and sixty-fourths of an inch.  I think nut width is my tipping point (where I'd rather say 38mm than 1 1/2")

Sometimes we get swindled in the conversion.  When I was a kid we used to be able to buy a quarter pound of sweeties (candy?) which got shortened to "a quarter of" whatever (Kola Kubes if you're offering).  Once the shops went metric, we got offered 100g bags - no doubt for the same price.  A whole 13.3g less.  Scandal!  It can work out in your favour though.  Because people like to make nice sounding numbers, I was in a restaurant recently which offered a 250g sirloin steak.  That's an extra 3 sixty-fourths of a pound, folks.  So it's not all bad :)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 01:55:00 PM »
My old man took an active part in beating Kraut asses from N.Africa to Anzio, Monte Cassino, the Bulge and into the fatherland. Stick that up your metric system.

Well, I'm grateful to him for eradicating Nazism, introducing democracy and not introducing inches, feet, yards, ounces, pounds, pints, gallons and all that other horrible stuff you guys have! We got lucky with only the good parts then. 8)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 02:02:54 PM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 01:56:31 PM »

Naw, that was Monsieur Dadagobois' sticking it up part of it ... For the love of the derriere, go French!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 02:02:19 PM »
"I think nut width is my tipping point (where I'd rather say 38mm than 1 1/2") ..."

Can we leave discussion of the more organic aspects (nuts and tips) out, please? George started that unholy mesalliance with his selfie.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 02:49:33 PM »
Well, I'm grateful to him for eradicating Nazism, introducing democracy and not introducing inches, feet, yards, ounces, pounds, pints, gallons and all that other horrible stuff you guys have! We got lucky with only the good parts then. 8)

I know you well enough even via this forum to know you enjoy a good pint!!  :o
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 02:56:08 PM »
568.26 millilitres of your Best Bitter please landlord !
Louder bass!.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 02:56:56 PM »

+1
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive